Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where are there brick buildings in Miami? I see mostly stucco and cinder block and other types of material but not red brick.This also includes houses

·
----------------->
731 Posts
Bricks are for cooler areas. houses in the north use it cause in the winter it can maintain warm temperatures indoors and not allow the cold to get in...Trust me you don't want bricks in Miami...You'll never see bricks down here.. nor in the carribean..not even in Vegas nor Phoenix...

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
The opening party for Parc Lofts was in that unit. It was pretty sick. Hundreds and hundreds of people and a dj. and performance artists...it was like a nice mid sized club. Small balconies however. The brick on Parc Lofts is faux. There may be some actual interior detailing with brick...but i say why??

Brick is an 18th and 19th century building material. Exactly the reason I think Miami is so beautiful is because it is not brick, the future belongs to new and innovative materials. And climate appropriate materials. I can't stand everywhere you look in NY and Boston etc etc..BRICK BRICK BRICK. When you look at NYC fr4om Brooklyn or Jersey the entire thing looks like it is brick...ugly DRAB lifeless brick. Miami shimmers because it is not brick, There are a dozen main colors of brick used in NY...all of them ugly. The glazed white brick from the 60's cracks as moisture freezes.

A little pocket over their for Parc Lofts and Filling Station is fine (faux) but please lets keep Miami a 20th and 21st century city?! Please! Please PLEASE!

IMO

·
Banned
73 Posts
I agree that cities in the northeast have too much brick, but I like that look for a big city and think Miami would benefit from having some brick buildings. Not a lot like NY or Boston, but a few brick buildings would be nice. Not the skyscrapers, but the low-rise buildings under 200 feet look nice in brick, if you have a small number of them and they don't dominate the city like they do in NYC.

·
Biscayne Corridor Realtor
930 Posts
she's a brick house

that whole area from filling station to wynwood I can see it sprinkled with all kinds of interesting retro modern brick mixed with steel etc. Rownhouses and townhouses could look great with some brick around downtown not a lot and done tastefully like parc lofts.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I'm just being difficult...I'm sorry. You are absolutely right a smattering of buildings that use brick well, integrated into modernist buildings can be very exciting and a welcome relief from too much stucco.

When you're right, you're right!

·
Biscayne Corridor Realtor
930 Posts
faux pass

I understand faux is kinda tacky but I just pretend they're real and not focus on it too much because I think overall both the intrepid projects are unique in the city and pretty damn cool

fillingstationmiami.com

click on space and checkout the feature where you can put several units together and also be sure to maximize the 4 story townhome!

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
My friend designed Filling Station, it's nice, but I gave him a lot of hassle about it. I think this is one of the great Modern brick buildings, and exactly what you are talking about.

Notice the interior detail of the enormous circle that Revuelta employed on the base of Edgewater Lofts.

A couple of other nice examples

:master: But Villa Savoye was designed in 1928 and it has been SuCH a huge battle to work this kind of design into the mainstream. Miami has done it more than anyone, That is why Ten Museum Park is so sweet. I just get afraid that as we finally get to the place of modrnist principles being accepted...then we go back to brick. I'm afraid.:nuts:

:master:

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The opening party for Parc Lofts was in that unit. It was pretty sick. Hundreds and hundreds of people and a dj. and performance artists...it was like a nice mid sized club. Small balconies however. The brick on Parc Lofts is faux. There may be some actual interior detailing with brick...but i say why??

Brick is an 18th and 19th century building material. Exactly the reason I think Miami is so beautiful is because it is not brick, the future belongs to new and innovative materials. And climate appropriate materials. I can't stand everywhere you look in NY and Boston etc etc..BRICK BRICK BRICK. When you look at NYC fr4om Brooklyn or Jersey the entire thing looks like it is brick...ugly DRAB lifeless brick. Miami shimmers because it is not brick, There are a dozen main colors of brick used in NY...all of them ugly. The glazed white brick from the 60's cracks as moisture freezes.

A little pocket over their for Parc Lofts and Filling Station is fine (faux) but please lets keep Miami a 20th and 21st century city?! Please! Please PLEASE!

IMO
I agree, this is one thing that makes Miami sooo moderm and sets it apart from most American cities.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Brick isn't structurally suitable (as the primary structural loadbearing material) for building construction here. Concrete blocks aren't just stacked and mortared together... they also place steel rods vertically inside one of the holes every few feet and fill the cavity with concrete to produce a reinforced concrete beam. They also form horizontal reinforced concrete beams along the entire top perimeter of the house's exterior walls.

The only way bricks can be viably used at all is if they're (for lack of a better word) glued to the outside of the concrete blocks as an ornament. Or if you want to be REALLY cheap & tasteless, by forming tilt-up walls on top of molds shaped like bricks with red pigment sprinkled into them before pouring the concrete (so that when the wall gets tilted up, the part that was facing down looks like cheesy fake brick).

·
Banned
73 Posts
Maki-chan; said:
If theres a hurricane wont the bricks just be flying objects of death?
Yes and that's probably why there aren't many brick buildings in Miami. Filling Station and those that they're referring to though are faux brick, which means the brick is on the outside and the building appears to be made of brick, but it's simply done for cosmetic reasons, as the structure of the building is truly made of concrete, so it will be safe in hurricanes. Regular, real brick buildings that are actually made of brick, instead of just appearing to be, don't exist in Miami to my knowledge unless they're from before the new codes.

·
Contents Under Pressure
9,623 Posts
When I think of a big city that just SCREAMS "brick" it's Boston. Philly to some extent, too, but not quite as much.

New York? I dunno. Maybe I've gotten so used to seeing the place that I don't notice the bricks anymore but Manhattan doesn't look that way at all to me. I see endless glass and steel...much of it soaring...and a TON of hyper-modern designs popping up all over the city, not just in Manhattan.

I actually think New York has more truly daring and original architectural experiments going up right now than anyplace else in the country.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Very true Spellbound. Manhattan reaches for the sky and has some amazing buildings going up.

From what I've seen, Brooklyn and Jersey City are having their own respectable "booms" as well.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
It's ttrue that FINALLY in the very recent past the escalation of intriguing designs has begun to represent the most 'exciting city in the world' however much of even the new construction is brick cladding. Look up 6th Ave in the 20 and you see 10 new 50 story towers, some with better designs but all still rolling in the brick cladding. There is the new Gehry on the west side highway and the Renzo Piano Times Building etc., but they are by far the minority, it's just that NY is so big it seems like there are lots of new cooler buildings going up...but not as a ratio.

Like I always say, Miami has almost no BAD buildings...some may not be great...but NY still pumps out dozens of crap buildings every year.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts