Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked for the old thread about this, but don't see it.

Sounds like the idea to extend the Brickell Ave name north of the river is effectively dead. I like Tuttle.

http://www.miamiherald.com/416/story/138818.html

Brickell name stays put
BY MATTHEW HAGGMAN
[email protected]

The Brickell Avenue street fight is over.

With a stroke of his pen, Gov. Charlie Crist has handed a victory to the business leaders and historians who opposed extending the boulevard's name -- and cachet -- across the Miami River into downtown.

''The idea never made sense,'' said William Holly, a real estate executive and president of the Brickell Area Association. ``Brickell is south of the river and downtown is north of it -- that's the way it's always been. I mean, why don't people call France, Germany? Because it's not.''

MDM Development Group had sought to extend the gold-plated Brickell address to the office tower it's building just north of the river on what is now the more mundane Southeast 2nd Avenue. The Met 2 office tower is going up on the former site of industrialist Henry Flagler's Royal Palm Hotel.

Miami-based MDM argued that expanding the Brickell name would help unify the Brickell area and the central business district as a single downtown. It also noted that the Brickell moniker has been adopted in other areas, in Brickell Key and in Mary Brickell Village on South Miami Avenue.

But Brickell Avenue business leaders feared diluting their prestigious, hard-won ''brand.'' And historians pointed out that north of the river is Tuttle land, where Julia Tuttle, Miami's founding mother, made her home. Relations between the Tuttles and the Brickells could be frosty, and William Brickell is said to have refused to cross the river for many years.

MDM went to the city last year, only to learn the road in front of its project is under state jurisdiction. So the battle moved to Tallahassee.

This week Gov. Crist signed legislation stipulating that no state funds shall be spent by a government agency to alter Brickell Avenue's boundaries or extend its name.

MDM plans no further action.

''I think as a practical matter it ends discussion of the Brickell name going north of the river,'' said Jack Lowell, managing director of Flagler Real Estate Services, which is marketing Met 2.

Historians are relieved.

''It would have been horrifying to Mary Brickell for her name to be on that side of the river,'' said historian Arva Moore Parks. ``And it would be a slap in the face for Julia Tuttle.''

Of course, this shouldn't stop anyone from considering renaming Southeast 2nd Avenue in Miami's downtown with something else, Parks said.

''Tuttle Avenue? I would love it,'' she said.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts