Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
registered snoozer
254 Posts
That was the first design, before the cooler more streamlined version came along.
I remember a design that came out around 2003 that was by Morris Borges architects, i just can't find a rendering right now. It was only designed to go up to around 22 stories at that time. They should have just built it then; even at only 22 floors it was a really distinctive looking project.

·
registered snoozer
254 Posts
Here's a (tiny)rendering of the "Brickell Flatiron" from the Brickell Homeowners website from way back in the fall of 2002. The design sure has evolved over the years.

heres the newest design from 2006

·
One Brickell CityCentre
13,121 Posts
It is a design that begs to be built in Miami. It is almost a must have building!

·
One Brickell CityCentre
13,121 Posts
It is sad looking at these lost projects--at least one iconic tower should have come out of this historic boom.
The "boom" may be done, but Miami certainly is not done yet!

·
Contents Under Pressure
9,623 Posts
And one iconic tower will come out of this boom we just need patience, within the next 2 years we will see a couple of iconic towers, i have faith in this boom.
Anything "iconic" would have already broken ground by now to fit that time frame. The boom is long gone---now we're in a period of adjustment and reconfigurement.

I think the one (realistic) project to root for is OBP. No telling if it will actually happen but it would certainly fit the bill iconically and personally I just think an office tower SHOULD be any city's tallest structure outside of Las Vegas or Monaco.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Why should an office be the tallest??? That seems to preclude the notion that cities are where people LIVE. And seems to say that people should live out of cities and commute into the TALL OFFICE tower. WHY not a tallest residential...or many??

That seems to address the move to get people back into city centers and revitalize the inner core and help solve global warming and gas crisis.

·
Contents Under Pressure
9,623 Posts
It's just an aesthetic judgement on my part. To me, office towers send a more powerful message about a city's importance and I also think they tend to be considerably more interesting architecturally when properly executed.

Not sure how that "precludes the notion that cities are where people live" at all. The NYC and Chicago skylines, for instance, are largely dominated by their respective office towers yet both cities also have far more residential towers than Miami. I don't see how one precludes the other...and certainly the best cities have plenty of both.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
I know that Met 2 wont be the tallest, but I can see it being an Iconic Tower
I think Met 2 is pretty iconic. It's taller and flashier than BoA Tower and sits on prime land that connects Brickell to Downtown. 1450 Brickell is also nice, it's beautiful glass building that plays nicely with Fours Seasons and is a nice welcome tower to the financial district of Brickell.

Both are nice. BFC is a little more generic IMHO. But as always, you never can make a final decision on a building until it's completely finished.

·
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
55,632 Posts
With City Landswap, Flatiron Park Is Out, Flatiron Building Is In

The Brickell Flatiron Building, a wedge-shaped residential tower designed by Enrique Norten, is back. Developer Mallory Kauderer is in negotiations with the City of Miami for a complicated landswap deal on the site of the long-delayed project that would allow him to expand it to the full block, giving him thousands of additional residential square feet. Sadly, the resurrection of the building means the death of Kauderer's never-quite-finished Brickell Flatiron Park.

Although Kauderer promised to build a temporary Raymond Jungles-designed park on the site while he waited out a moribund condo market, after lengthy and suspicious delays (including something having to do with the sprinkler system) the park was never completed and construction was eventually abandoned. Then, wham-bang, the real estate doldrums ended a whole lot faster than anybody thought, all those thousands of empty condos were gobbled up, and Kauderer decided it was a good time to revive this building of his.

http://miami.curbed.com/archives/2012/10/04/new-flatiron-situation.php

1 - 20 of 30 Posts