SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ehh. Nothing too exciting. Just some pictures of Bricktown Entertainment District. Sorry for the quality and quantity.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea, their recent. It's not as hot in the evening, and all of the shade from the buildings help.

i dont know? No disrespect to OKC but looks kind of Lame, i mean would i have a good time at a place like this????
Do you eat, watch movies, enjoy sports, leisure about, drink, people watch, shop, dance, go to museums? If not then maybe OKC isn't a city for you, or any city for that matter.

Maybe you should consider a retirement home. But then again, I guess I'll forgive a senile old man for judging what Oklahoma City has to offer based off 15 pictures of buildings and a boat. Try again.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
The only noticeably negative thing in any of these pics is the small crowd at the Brick, but maybe the game didn't start yet or had just started and folks were still trickling in, judging by the outside pic of the Brick a few pics earlier. That's pretty bad turnout for the RedHawks if that's it. And I guess the surface parking lots in Bricktown look bad too, but I don't think it's too much of a deterrent considering people from Edmond have to park somewhere and the rest of Bricktown is looking great.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You two are so pathetic. I'm used to Cashville, but Universal Soulja? You're just like a little tag along partner that goes along with what Cashville said. Oh, and there you go again; judging the credibility of OKC getting a street car system based off of 15 crappy pictures? I can't take you seriously. You're a joke.

We'll get that streetcar system. I'm sure of it. People like you make me sick. You have nothing better to do than to down someone or something's success. Let OKC enjoy the light it's finally getting. AT LEAST we are trying to improve our image as a credible city with an urban downtown. Get off our backs.

·
Red Sox Nation!
1,497 Posts
That is actually as lively as I have ever seen OKC.
^^Keep hating,hater! in my mind if someone hates on you, your doing something right!for someone to take time outta there day, to sit down and see what people are writing about Oklahoma City,is a good thing! cuz people like cashville must be interested or intrigued about our city!and his comments good or bad are still welcomed,5-10 years ago people like him would not even comment on OKC cuz it was a waste of there time!I see it as JEALOUSY! ohhh you got a 925ft tower proposed(const.starts Oct 1st)it will never get built,or ohh you stole that nba team or countless negative things,never a good job or atleast there trying,its gotta be jealousy!I dont go on Nashville or Louisville threads and say,ohh your tower's height got reduced or there's a hold or delay on const. haha,or make other lame comments! b/c I dont take the time outta my day to bash progress,good progress at that!So Hater's keep HATING!!!!!:banana::banana:

·
make it so...
6,755 Posts
@ Universal Soulja, unless you want to end up in the same place as cashville, i suggest you cool it with the trolling.

·
Registered
534 Posts
i dont know? No disrespect to OKC but looks kind of Lame, i mean would i have a good time at a place like this????

Bricktown looks very clean but it does look very plain.

Is Bricktown along the same lines of: Beale Street, Memphis or Bourbon St, New Orleans or Sixth Street, Austin or Riverwalk, San Antonio. I have been to all four of these places within the last two years. Riverwalk is behind the other three when it comes to adult night life in my opinion.

If Bricktown is on par I'll visit it sometimes b/c I'm always looking for a good time.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I have never been, but I have heard it's a lot like a smaller, newer, and less developed version of the San Antonio Riverwalk.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Bricktown looks very clean but it does look very plain.

Is Bricktown along the same lines of: Beale Street, Memphis or Bourbon St, New Orleans or Sixth Street, Austin or Riverwalk, San Antonio. I have been to all four of these places within the last two years. Riverwalk is behind the other three when it comes to adult night life in my opinion.

If Bricktown is on par I'll visit it sometimes b/c I'm always looking for a good time.
I would say it's more like Beale Street and especially Sixth Street, not much like the Riverwalk, and nothing at all like Bourbon Street. Bricktown doesn't strike me as very family/tourist friendly like the Riverwalk (even though that's what the city wants), but it is still an awesome local scene. I'd say the City and Chamber are wanting Bricktown to be Riverwalk, but the locals and Bricktown Association are wanting Beale Street. I'd say it's a detriment that there's no cohesive vision for Bricktown other than wanting it to grow. You can see evidence of people wanting to turn it into a tourist trap, but overwhelmingly, Bricktown is an entertainment district. I'd say it's an equal mix of Sixth Street and the West End (Dallas).

The one you named that it is nothing like is Bourbon Street, which is both good and bad. OKC's police just hide in the shadows waiting in a pack to pounce on public drunks, which is stupid because it begs the question if a "supposedly competent" big city police department is surprised that drunk people could be walking on the sidewalks at 1 am in the middle of an entertainment district.

If you're looking for something like Bourbon Street, Bricktown will be a big disappointment to you. If (overrated) Beale Street impresses you, Bricktown will, too. If you can have a somewhat good time in the West End, you'll have a blast in Bricktown. I think Bricktown is on par with Sixth, but if you're from Austin or went to UT, you won't think so lol.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I would say it's more like Beale Street and especially Sixth Street, not much like the Riverwalk, and nothing at all like Bourbon Street. Bricktown doesn't strike me as very family/tourist friendly like the Riverwalk (even though that's what the city wants), but it is still an awesome local scene. I'd say the City and Chamber are wanting Bricktown to be Riverwalk, but the locals and Bricktown Association are wanting Beale Street. I'd say it's a detriment that there's no cohesive vision for Bricktown other than wanting it to grow. You can see evidence of people wanting to turn it into a tourist trap, but overwhelmingly, Bricktown is an entertainment district. I'd say it's an equal mix of Sixth Street and the West End (Dallas).

The one you named that it is nothing like is Bourbon Street, which is both good and bad. OKC's police just hide in the shadows waiting in a pack to pounce on public drunks, which is stupid because it begs the question if a "supposedly competent" big city police department is surprised that drunk people could be walking on the sidewalks at 1 am in the middle of an entertainment district.

If you're looking for something like Bourbon Street, Bricktown will be a big disappointment to you. If (overrated) Beale Street impresses you, Bricktown will, too. If you can have a somewhat good time in the West End, you'll have a blast in Bricktown. I think Bricktown is on par with Sixth, but if you're from Austin or went to UT, you won't think so lol.
Drunks causing trouble and drunks being friendly having a good time with friends are two different things. That doesn't sound to good about the police in bricktown.

I used to live in downtown Austin. My apt was only a couple of blocks away from Sixth street. So comparing it to Bricktown might not be a good idea since I know Sixth street very well. The only thing that really sucks about Sixth street is all the bars close at 2 AM. They literally turn on the lights and say get out. When I was living in New Orleans, the party goes on as long as you want, lol. Sixth also has to many homeless people bugging you all the time. Both places are tops for me. I have only been to Beale St once but I had a good time. I think I stayed in German town that week. I'll check out Bricktown. I have several friend that live around OKC even though I have never been. I'll check it out sometime on a Saturday night and see how it goes.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Alright. If you are drunk, just stay away from anyone on a gay little moped.

Bourbon Street > Sixth Street > Beale Street/Bricktown > West End

I didn't include the Riverwalk since it's more dominated by hotels and restaurants than night life. And a shopping mall.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I really don't know a thing about 6th Street or West End, but I can say the difference between Bourbon and Beale and all this other "entertainment districts", is that B and B weren't built to be entertainment districts. In the 1700s, the French Quarter was the ENTIRE city of New Orleans. Beale Street played a significant role in the history of Blues music. That wasn't planned, and people were attracted to the music, and thus an entertainment district. What about Austin and Dallas'?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Sixth Street was not built to be an entertainment district. It too was built as part of Austin's original street grid, and is lined with historic buildings dating to the 1800s.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
All of these districts we're talking about are historic districts, so this is the case for all of them. Bricktown was a warehouse district back in the early 1900s, and it's the old brick warehouses that make up most of the area, while there was an area on the southside of Bricktown that was razed..the greenfield doesn't feel like part of the original streetgrid, but it is infilling nicely and becoming a lot more urban that it used to be.

When they put the canal in, there was no idea what kind of district would pop up, it was just like let's throw down some money and just hope some kind of businesses flourish down here. It ended up being the place for local restaurants and night clubs, but retail is still trying to get established. Lower Bricktown (the brand new part) used to be the scourge of urbanists who complained it was really suburban. I know I used to hate it, but I can admit it's gotten a lot better now that the infill has made a huge difference.

It will be interesting to see what direction Bricktown heads in once more of the downtown residential units in the pipeline get moved into. With rooftops in the area, hopefully it won't just be the place for destination restaurants and nightlife, but hopefully retail, more coffee shops that aren't Starbucks, and so on can get established.

Here's another view of Bricktown from the Marriott Courtyard across the elevated tracks.

·
Red Sox Nation!
1,497 Posts
Says the guy who has a kiddie fiddler for his avatar.
^^lol,back to topic,Bricktown is a great place to bring outta towners,family,kid's but i'd rather hang out on NW expressway or in midtown or in Norman there's more than one place to have fun in OKC!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts