SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to Bricktown Friday night to see The Strangers, which by the way was great, and I decided to take some pictures of Lower Bricktown and Bricktown Proper. Bricktown was packed. It was a great night in BT. Too bad most of my pictures didn't capture that, but here it goes anyways.

Lower Bricktown

Bricktown

·
Registered User.
2,249 Posts
These pics are wonderful. You did a great job in catching everything I thought. Looks like it was a lot of fun. Great job!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Great photos and a great city. I have worked assignments in OKC several times and have always enjoyed the city. Most recent stay was at the Bricktown Residence Inn (shown in the pictures); but it ended in the middle of March before the boats were back in the canal.

·
Megalomaniac
4,171 Posts
good stuff, thanks for the pics and memories.

-

·
Registered
506 Posts
Nice pics , seems like a lot of activity downtown. Im interested in knowing more about the water feature - the river going through the entertainment district. I was unaware that Downtown OKC is near water - cool!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its part of OKC's MAPS (Metropolitan Area Projects) aimed at reviving our downtown. There were 7 projects, The Ford Center, the Renovation of the Civic Center Music Hall, the new Downtown library, The Bricktown Ballpark, The Oklahoma River Project, A trolley system, and The Bricktown Canal. Since MAPS, Over 1 billion dollars as been invested in downtown. Its about a mile long and runs through the historic Bricktown Warehouse District and then it goes through mostly park land which was developed into Lower Bricktown, and then it runs into park land at the end and turns around. It links the Oklahoma River to Downtown. I think over 1 million people have rode the water taxis since its opening in 1999. When it first opened a man from Kansas tried to jump it with his truck and it landed in the canal. Every year they clean it out during its off months and I think this year they found a couple of patio chairs and a bicycle in it. =P

Downtown is near the Oklahoma River which is actually becoming a top rowing venue in America and just hosted the Olympic Trials. So thats really the only the body of water that DT OKC is near unless you count the canal. Ok Im done with my little 9 history lesson. :nuts:

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah downtown is actually about a mile or so away from the Oklahoma River, which is becoming a top venue for rowing.

The Bricktown Canal was part of OKC's MAPS project. It is a mile long, runs from the edge of Bricktown to the river. The idea came about from SA's Riverwalk. I would say it, the Bricktown ballpark, and the Ford Center are what put OKC into renaissance mode. They are what renewed downtown OKC from it ugly depression and it is probably what made Bricktown so popular.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Great collection capturing the atmosphere of an afternoon trip to Bricktown. The Centennial and its Redpin Lounge has added a lot to Lower Bricktown I think.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
I'm still not sure of what to think of Lower Bricktown. A lot of its additions may not have been for the best, and there are a lot of us who don't think that the Bass Pro in LB or the Residence Inn are particularly urban, which should be standard. Lower Bricktown is essentially a single lifestyle center development project akin to the P+L in Kansas City or something like that, and it could have been a lot better. ACTUAL Bricktown, which would be "Upper Bricktown" in relation to LB is comprised of about 10 blocks, included the ballpark, that stretch of Sheridan, and a ton of great historic architecture and urban development, is absolutely fabulous. Great pics all around architect2010.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I also am weary of LB. I find Bass Pro and that Residence Inn not fitting at all. But I do like the Centennial Plaza area. I like how your surrounded by the Centennial, Harkins, Sonic and the other buildings. It definitely has the urban vibe hands down, it just doesn't look the part to me.

Hmmm. Seems that SSC fixed my posting problem and I double posted the same thing but reworded. =/ Embarassing.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Yeah, I was going to say that the revitalized historic warehouses are cool, but I was disappointed to see standard suburban design in the district. That Residence Inn in particular is horrible; it looks like it belongs at a freeway exit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts