SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
IT City Planner
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some time ago (a couple of years) there was a Government Sponsored Competition called Sustrans Connect 2)

A scheme to build a footbridge over the River Goyt at Chadkirk (between Romiley and Marple) was one of the winners.

See http://www.sustrans.org.uk/what-we-...t/marple-and-stockport-goyt-valley-connection

After many many months of pontificating its now under construction and last weekend I had a wander down to the river (its only about a mile from my house) to see how construction was proceeding - click on piccies for bigger images (not bad from my 8mpix Samsung Galaxy SII)

Location Map

Northern Approach to Bridge from Vale Road

Looking Due South from North Bank - Temporary Causeway in the foreground

Looking South East from North Bank - Remains of Weir Between Causeway and Abutments

Southern Abutment

Northern Abutment

·
Registered
291 Posts
Thanks for that Steve.

I remember that florescent light installation that was part of the awareness programme or am I making that up.

Is it best to see it from the Chadkirk side or the Marple Hall School side?

·
Banana-free zone
62 Posts
Funny to see this here, and I almost thought it'd never happen.

Stockport Council's page is fairly informative too: http://www.stockport.gov.uk/services/transport/gettingaround/connect2

Important Project Dates:

Friday 8th June 2012 - Delivery of bridge sections prior to final assembly on site.

Thursday 14th June 2012 - Installation of bridge over River Goyt (Lifting of the bridge into place is expected to commence early afternoon).

And the proposed bridge design (PDF).

Quite a standard design, but I like the overhanging passing points, which may or may not be a nod to Marple Aqueduct's similar feature.

Is it best to see it from the Chadkirk side or the Marple Hall School side?
Probably the Chadkirk side for now, especially as it's just off Vale Road. But maybe for the actual lifting you'd be better on the other bank? Marple side there's a longish walk down to the river - I tried the new path down there on my bike, it's quite steep coming back up:

·
IT City Planner
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
@pixel2006 - no you didn't dream it

@metropacer - thanks for the heads up on the dates - may take a walk down the hill on Friday for a nosey

·
Registered
291 Posts
@DiscoSteve - yep, that's the one.

Wasn't there also talk of putting a footpath down to the brook at Dan Bank - part of the road remediation work that was done? Could make a nice loop back to the Goyt via Dooley Lane.

Also is that the Archimedes screw that is being installed at the bridge near Wyevale Garden Centre?

·
IT City Planner
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not sure about an Archimedes Screw - its a little Hydro Electric Scheme

·
Registered
851 Posts
They completed and opened a new section near Bury last month, building a new viaduct across an old railway line. This connects with National Cycle Route 6.

http://www.sustrans.org.uk/what-we-do/connect2/schemes/north-west/bury-the-woolford-gap

They also added some sculptures of famous local people including cyclist Reg Harris.

http://www.bury.gov.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=9910&p=0

I understand the money was conditional on it being spent within a certain time frame which is probably why these projects are progressing quickly.

·
Banana-free zone
62 Posts
Thought so. If I remember correctly the turbine is rotated using an Archimedes Screw similar to the one at New Mills.
Looks like it has two of them. Most of the construction has been caught by this guy on Flickr.

Wasn't there also talk of putting a footpath down to the brook at Dan Bank - part of the road remediation work that was done? Could make a nice loop back to the Goyt via Dooley Lane.
There is now a nice wide shared use footpath on the side of Dan Bank going up into Marple. Unfortunately Dooley Lane is still very narrow and unpleasant on a bike (or even walking for a short section).

Hopefully they'll still complete the original planned route to the bridge from Marple, which was via Dale Road and what's currently a footpath along the river, creating a nice loop. Also a much better gradient for cycling and a more logical route onto Middlewood Way. And the Bredbury end, where you're turfed out onto the main Stockport road amongst parked cars and buses and have to make a dodgy right turn towards the Transpennine trail at Brinnington. A new path behind Bredbury Hall and crossing at Pear Mill would make sense.

As usual with cycle infrastructure it doesn't quite join up yet.

·
Registered
291 Posts
^^

Thanks for the links metropacer. That Flickr account is excellent - there are even pictures of the conservation work going on at Mellor Mill.

I meant the other side of the road to the new footpath on Dan Bank - I thought they were going to put a path into the woodland.

Having lived in Mellor for over 10 years, I shouldn't be admitting this :eek:hno:, but does that footpath next to the Goyt and going off the edge of the photo end up in Brabyns Park? Can quite work it out on Google Maps.

·
Banana-free zone
62 Posts
I meant the other side of the road to the new footpath on Dan Bank - I thought they were going to put a path into the woodland.

Having lived in Mellor for over 10 years, I shouldn't be admitting this :eek:hno:, but does that footpath next to the Goyt and going off the edge of the photo end up in Brabyns Park? Can quite work it out on Google Maps.
Ah, I haven't heard of any other new footpaths around that area.

The light blue line on that map is the Goyt itself, which does wrap around Brabyns. It might all be clearer on an OS map: http://binged.it/KeWbT5

It's hard to get across there as you can see - the footpath only connects as far as Dale Road and then there's that whole bend in the river back towards the Aqueduct which is completely inaccessible. The idea for a footpath from the Aqueduct towards this bridge has come up in a (rather aspirational) local "Vision" strategy at least. :)

·
IT City Planner
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I agree it would be good to get along the south bank of the Goyt up to the Aqueduct - there is a path down from the Canal there which continues on the North Side (EDIT having seen bing map) only to back of Cherry Tree - theres no easy way to Brabyns I believe unless you go over the aqueduct

All around here is basically my back yard - Chadkirk and the Goyt Valley is a beautiful little corner of Stockport

·
IT City Planner
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lots of photos of construction since March can be found on the Visit Marple site
http://visitmarple.co.uk/photos/thumbnails.php?album=lastup&cat=-21
I find it odd how the Marple lot seem to have 'annexed' Chadkirk and refer to this area Marple Dale - local district boundary maps clearly show Chadkirk and the River Goyt here in Romiley not Marple...

·
Registered
291 Posts
Let's be more ambitious :).

If we are talking about Visions for Marple, what about buying a narrow(ish) strip of land all along the Goyt from Brabyns to the Sustrans Bridge and create a linear park (lob some wood sculptures in) that joins Brabyns to Chadkirk.

If only there was some money - darn recession :eek:hno:.

·
IT City Planner
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

If we are talking about Visions for Marple, what about buying a narrow(ish) strip of land all along the Goyt from Brabyns to the Sustrans Bridge and create a linear park (lob some wood sculptures in) that joins Brabyns to Chadkirk.

If only there was some money - darn recession :eek:hno:.
Farm and Canoeing Club in the way on South Side - and you'd need mountaineering gear on the north side plus the owners of the freshly built, extremely impressive New Oakwood Hall might be a bit miffed...
http://binged.it/LdiG5I

·
Banana-free zone
62 Posts

How about a giant version of New Mills' Torrs walkway, stretching from Brabyns to Chadkirk? :nuts:

Not a lot going on down there today, no bridge pieces yet, probably not surprising with the weather! Just the river raging...

Either the causeway has been removed or it was being completely washed over.

Biased of course but agree this really is a lovely corner of Stockport/GM. Anyone from outside the area, you can do a good loop from Marple station taking in the locks, river, chapel and so on. If we had Metrolink trams or tickets, I could imagine people using their Weekend Saver out here for a walk on the Sunday...

·
IT City Planner
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Agreed it is a beautiful spot - but no need to loop - from Chadkirk walk up through Kirk Wood, then on the Peak Forest Canal and cut up the back of Romiley get back on the train at Romiley Station. Every weekend you'll see me and my trusty hound out down here.

·
IT City Planner
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No sign of any bridge pieces today - causeway is completely swamped - I reckon the water level is around 4 to 5 foot higher than last week
LAST WEEK - June 2nd ---------------------------------- TODAY - June 11th

1 - 20 of 52 Posts