SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1237 Posts

·
D & Y
Joined
·
101,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Mubarak Peace Bridge by [email protected], on Flickr



Mubarak Peace Bridge by [email protected], on Flickr

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Suez Canal Bridge, also known as the Mubarak Peace Bridge or the Egyptian-Japanese Friendship Bridge, is a road bridge crossing the Suez Canal at El Qantara. The Arabic "al qantara" means "the bridge".

Design and construction

The bridge was built with assistance from the Japanese government. The contractor was PentaOcean Construction.

The Japanese grant, accounting for 60% of the construction cost (or 13.5 billion yen), was agreed to during the visit of President Mubarak to Japan in March 1995, as part of a larger project to develop the Sinai Peninsula. Egypt bore the remaining 40% (9 billion yen).

The bridge opened in October 2001.

The bridge, which has a 70-metre (230 ft) clearance over the canal and is 3.9 kilometres (2.4 mi) long, consists of a 400-metre (1,300 ft) cable stayed main span and two 1.8-kilometre (1.1 mi) long approach spans.

The height of the two main pylons supporting the main span is 154 metres (510 ft) each. The towers were designed in the shape of Pharaonic obelisks.

The clearance under the bridge is 70 meters, which defines, therefore, the admissible maximum height of 68 m[2]above the waterline (Suezmax) of ships that can pass through the Suez Canal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,583 Posts

Mubarak Peace Bridge by [email protected], on Flickr



Mubarak Peace Bridge by [email protected], on Flickr

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Suez Canal Bridge, also known as the Mubarak Peace Bridge or the Egyptian-Japanese Friendship Bridge, is a road bridge crossing the Suez Canal at El Qantara. The Arabic "al qantara" means "the bridge".

Design and construction

The bridge was built with assistance from the Japanese government. The contractor was PentaOcean Construction.

The Japanese grant, accounting for 60% of the construction cost (or 13.5 billion yen), was agreed to during the visit of President Mubarak to Japan in March 1995, as part of a larger project to develop the Sinai Peninsula. Egypt bore the remaining 40% (9 billion yen).

The bridge opened in October 2001.

The bridge, which has a 70-metre (230 ft) clearance over the canal and is 3.9 kilometres (2.4 mi) long, consists of a 400-metre (1,300 ft) cable stayed main span and two 1.8-kilometre (1.1 mi) long approach spans.

The height of the two main pylons supporting the main span is 154 metres (510 ft) each. The towers were designed in the shape of Pharaonic obelisks.

The clearance under the bridge is 70 meters, which defines, therefore, the admissible maximum height of 68 m[2]above the waterline (Suezmax) of ships that can pass through the Suez Canal.
That is pretty interesting. Is it a gift or does the Japanese government retain some sort of toll revenue and were Japanese companies involved in the building?
 

·
In Search of Sanity
Joined
·
3,677 Posts
Golden Gate Bridge, San Francisco, California, USA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Gate_Bridge

Hoover Dam Bypass Bridge, Arizona, USA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_O'Callaghan–Pat_Tillman_Memorial_Bridge

Sunshine Skyway Bridge, Tampa, Florida, USA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunshine_Skyway_Bridge

Overseas Highway, Florida Keys, Florida, USA

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/3727835912/sizes/l/in/photostream/

Bixby Creek Bridge, Highway 1, California, USA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_State_Route_1

Verrazano Narrows Bridge, New York, USA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verrazano-Narrows_Bridge

Arlington Memorial Bridge, Washington DC, USA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arlington_Memorial_Bridge

Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, Virginia, USA

http://www.airphotona.com/image.asp?imageid=4163


http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/media/112219/Aerial-view-of-the-two-man-made-islands-that-link

New San Francisco-Oakland Bridge Eastern Span, California, USA

Rendering: Under Construction

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...UnUeC-Maii2AWuw4CoBg&ved=0CEMQ9QEwBg&dur=1389
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
308,778 Posts
1 - 20 of 1237 Posts
Top