Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Banned
18,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so goes the song, but!

Are there any good examples of the sort of giant neon adverts and other signage so many people love/hate in your city?

any pics of stuff from years ago too? I know Liverpool used to excel at this type of stuff, but now we have hardly any, certainly none that would define an area!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Birmingham used to have lots too, like the Coca-Cola sign around the top of the Rotunda, a huge M&B beer glass that filled to the top with orange & then white lights opposite where Selfridges is now, & a massive Fuji Film sign on an office building at the old Bull Ring that illuminated from left to right to reveal the company logo ..... but all gone now.

·
Sexy Astronaut
11,813 Posts
There's a distinct lack of any of the sort that you describe in the UK now :( , the area around the Hippodrome i think had some neon and advertisements (tasteful though),

It'd be nice if we had this sort of thing like the Suskino area of Sapporo or that square in Copenhagen (rather than times square), they can really make some rather drab areas come to life.

·
Banned
18,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good start. I think our cities could be gfreatly improved by a little more tatty neon!
The Unity project in Liverpool originally had proposals for a gif 'Unity' sign at the top of the aprtments, which had an effect a bit like the big 'Mew Yorker' sign on thier building... but it was refused planning.. the bastids!

Keep posting, I have really enjoyed what has already gone up... curry mile... glorious tackiness!

·
10th February 2008
60,501 Posts
Good start. I think our cities could be gfreatly improved by a little more tatty neon!
The Unity project in Liverpool originally had proposals for a gif 'Unity' sign at the top of the aprtments, which had an effect a bit like the big 'Mew Yorker' sign on thier building... but it was refused planning.. the bastids!

Keep posting, I have really enjoyed what has already gone up... curry mile... glorious tackiness!
Correct T. Never fails to impress when your looking at it through the window of the number 42 bus.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Selfridges, Birmingham.

..... sometimes its blue...... sometimes it's green ....... sometimes its pink, but not quite sure what colour Selfridges is here! :nuts:

·
Banned
18,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Correct T. Never fails to impress when your looking at it through the window of the number 42 bus.
especially when it has been raining and the windows are sort of steamed up as well!

I love the bus ride home to Huyton from downtown when the weaather is like that. Loads of little signs and shop windows, traffic lights and people just getting home and turning on the lights in the upper storey windows... all the way home....ahhh!

·
10th February 2008
60,501 Posts
especially when it has been raining and the windows are sort of steamed up as well!

I love the bus ride home to Huyton from downtown when the weaather is like that. Loads of little signs and shop windows, traffic lights and people just getting home and turning on the lights in the upper storey windows... all the way home....ahhh!

It's like Christmas every night of the year. :lol:

Without doubt my fav light show, night time shot. There's another great angle.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts