Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
I didn't get a chance to visit Brighton last year, but it will be next to visit next time around.
I remember a decade ago, it was being promoted in Sydney newspapers as a suburb to live in if one were to move to Adelaide because they (South Australian Government) felt it resembled the beach life that Sydneysiders aspire to, yet only twenty minutes from the city.

I'll comment further when I see some more photos.

·
moonage daydream
626 Posts
Nice collection of pics.

I wish Melbourne's beaches were half as good as this.

·
WARREN
8,207 Posts
16. Brighton is one of only two suburban beaches with rail access to the city (not Glenelg, which has a tram), so perhaps twenty minutes away by train, but certainly not by car which is at least double that time to the city.
Only two? I just checked the map and I found:

- Grange
- Brighton
- Hove
- Seacliff
- Kingston Park
- Marino
- Hallett Cove
- Taperoo
- Largs

·
Registered
609 Posts
Great pictures! Brighton really seems to be leaving its "Burnside By Sea" reputation behind...well at least along the foreshore..

·
40,696 Posts
I remember in the Brighton advertisement is that it is the hills just to the south that feature and perhaps a 4WD or two. 20 minutes by train sounds good for a commute. :)

4WD access is restricted on Sydney coastal beaches, bar Boat Harbour near Kurnell.

·
Registered
10,666 Posts
so perhaps twenty minutes away by train, but certainly not by car which is at least double that time to the city.
Sorry but on what planet is Brighton at least 40 minutes from the CBD?? Back in the day I could get to Pt Willunga from Malvern in that time. Brighton is a great area though, would love to live down there one day.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for comments PeFe and Fabian

@ Fabian, 4WD access is prohibited for most of the coastal beaches except way down south in Moana as far as I'm aware. Those cars in pic no. 44 are allowed access only in front of the Kingston Park caravan park, which is a sticking point for residents atm, as developers have their eye on that prized land, but the community is up in arms about it being developed. We'll see what transpires. Pic no. 26 is the SLSC vehicle which of course has a permit.

Now Giorgio you gorgeous boy you. Firstly can you please try to be a bit more civil before you jump in with one of your outbursts (again and again). :| It takes me 35mins from Unley to get to Brighton on a normal day. Traffic can be quite heavy between these two points and I bet you on a normal day, adhering to the speed limit, if you were to drive say from North Tce to the Esplanade at Brighton it would take at least 40mins. Try it, you'll see, traffic is heavy and does not flow too quickly. Malvern to Pt Willunga includes a higher speed limit, less traffic lights and a major highway. Enjoy the pics and be appreciative. End of convo!

·
Registered
10,666 Posts
My apologise for the 'outburst' I just thought it was such a massive exaggeration lol. Even google maps says 23mins from gpo to jetty.

Anyway keep the great pics coming friend ;)

·
Registered
10,666 Posts
You forget how vibrant and busy Glenelg can get until you see pictures like that, great job.

PS, have you ever tried using another image hosting service rather than tinypic? I think it is causing compression artefacts in some of your photos which I am sure would not be there on the originals.

·
40,696 Posts
Flickr isn't too bad these days either with your 1TB storage.

Back on the main discussion of this thread, Glenelg is lovely. As pointed out last year, it just reminded me of Manly on so many fronts.

Sadly the one thing my photos didn't capture was the activity during summer. I happened to be there in the "off peak" season (winter) and from my understanding a school day (NSW was on holidays hence the visit).

It is so good it has the light rail to connect it to the city.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts