SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
planquadrat
10,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Half-jokingly named the SF of Britain by some newspaper... Brighton is also regarded as the gay capital of Britain. Whether true or not, it's by any means a lovely seaside town with a population of about 250,000 people and lovely little streets packed with little shops, pubs, restaurants and bars. A great getaway destination from London on a warm summer weekend :)

English pubs usually have that horrible smell and even more horrible interiors and colors... that's why Scandinavian pub is the place to go :cheers:

Little streets, so called 'lanes' where all the interesting stuff is hidden

cheers :cheers:

·
Registered
501 Posts
Thanks for the pics. I spent a June in Brighton a few years ago; it was a language course thingy of some sort. The city and especially the weather was great.

·
LIBERTINED
45,315 Posts
Great stuff! A true resort pearl of the UK.

But what about Royal Pavillion and the Pier? Did you forget about 'em? ;)

·
planquadrat
10,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Great stuff! A true resort pearl of the UK.

But what about Royal Pavillion and the Pier? Did you forget about 'em? ;)
Some of those pictures are actually taken from the pier ;). However the peer itself didn't look that attractive to be honest. It felt as if it was back in the 60's-70's. And I did go to the Royal Pavillion (because I 'knew' it was famous)... But I didn't find any good photo opportunities there either. I was more interested in drinking that strong Swedish beer lol :D. I highly recommend that Scandinavian pub which is a slightly different drinking experience than the regular English pubs (i.e. cleaner, no bad smell, prettier female bar staff :D).

·
LIBERTINED
45,315 Posts
Are you kidding? :shocked: You're talking about the Palace Pier, right?

(The West Pier is noteworthy as well, but I mean, those are like some of the greatest coastal heritage buildings the UK has to offer!)

·
planquadrat
10,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Are you kidding? :shocked: You're talking about the Palace Pier, right?

(The West Pier is noteworthy as well, but I mean, those are like some of the greatest coastal heritage buildings the UK has to offer!)
But the West Pier has burned down. I think the remains are still there but there's no much to look at :(

·
LIBERTINED
45,315 Posts
But the West Pier has burned down. I think the remains are still there but there's no much to look at :(
Yeah I know, it's a shame :(

But I said those are because I still have some hope they're goin to rebuild the West Pier asap :) Btw, the concert hall on that one was magnificent! I'm so glad I managed to see it with my own eyes before the f*cking fire happened.

Btw, I read this on Wiki:
The West Pier Trust said on 15 July 2008 that it was confident the West Pier would be rebuilt. Its long-term aim is to re-establish the structure, which has been destroyed by two fires, as a major tourist attraction along with the "Brighton Eye (i360) a futuristic observation tower. Further work on rebuilding the pier will not begin until construction is "well under way" on the i360.
Is this still the status quo? Any news how to proceed with the pier and its remainings?
And what's that futurustic Brighton Eye they're talking about? I suspect nothing good at all :(

1 - 20 of 25 Posts