Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
77,375 Posts

·
26,710 Posts
In the 70's I think. It happened when we had a big fire in our Tram Depot in New Farm which destroyed about 33% of our trams and other infrastructure. Tram ridership was essentially zero and therefore they tought it to be more viable to rid the city of trams.

Although I am a big Public Transport promoter, I actually agree with the decision.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Excellent find! I remember the scandal and upset at many of Brissy's old and heritage buildings being bulldozed in the 70's and early 80's - especially "Cloudlands"..

js

·
Mainland Sea & Sky
6,242 Posts
Although nearly sixty years have passed over , the city looks very beautiful and well planned then , much appreciated and thanks for sharing !

·
Its a sleepy little town
3,883 Posts
we do still have most of the better ones...
Theyre just so much more prominant in these images...

These are all still there (Treasury.. Bank of NSW.. that other one..... theyre just far less prominant/noticable

·
Premium Member
9,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have walked along Elizabeth St and today it doesn't appear as lively as it was back then. The atmosphere that was once there seems to have been zapped
Actually Fabian you have the streets mixed up there, it is Queen St in 1958, the same area is now the Mall.

Here is a bigger version

·
Premium Member
9,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Great finds! When did Brisbane get rid of trams?
The trams went in April 1969, cars were just too popular, and we don't have the great street system of Melbourne to support them.
Hopefully we will soon get one line back between West End and the Valley.

Couple of comparisons

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
Actually Fabian you have the streets mixed up there, it is Queen St in 1958, the same area is now the Mall.

Here is a bigger version
I'm a very bad man :bash: Queen Street is as lively as always. Love the neons. I wish the strip (now the mall) had more neons. Adds to the atmosphere even more.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Excellent photographs. I find it quite interesting looking at old photos of our cities. The comparison pictures were also very good.

Thanks for posting Aussiebhoy :)

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
Wow, was gonna ask if this corner beauty was still around.

But looks like it was replaced with this monstrosity.

I wonder how many of these old buildings are still around? I know at least one of them is still standing.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts