SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
80,245 Posts

·
29,087 Posts
In the 70's I think. It happened when we had a big fire in our Tram Depot in New Farm which destroyed about 33% of our trams and other infrastructure. Tram ridership was essentially zero and therefore they tought it to be more viable to rid the city of trams.

Although I am a big Public Transport promoter, I actually agree with the decision.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Excellent find! I remember the scandal and upset at many of Brissy's old and heritage buildings being bulldozed in the 70's and early 80's - especially "Cloudlands"..

js

·
Mainland Sea & Sky
6,241 Posts
Although nearly sixty years have passed over , the city looks very beautiful and well planned then , much appreciated and thanks for sharing !

·
Its a sleepy little town
3,882 Posts
we do still have most of the better ones...
Theyre just so much more prominant in these images...

These are all still there (Treasury.. Bank of NSW.. that other one..... theyre just far less prominant/noticable

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
Actually Fabian you have the streets mixed up there, it is Queen St in 1958, the same area is now the Mall.

Here is a bigger version
I'm a very bad man :bash: Queen Street is as lively as always. Love the neons. I wish the strip (now the mall) had more neons. Adds to the atmosphere even more.

·
Banned
1,694 Posts
Wow, was gonna ask if this corner beauty was still around.

But looks like it was replaced with this monstrosity.

I wonder how many of these old buildings are still around? I know at least one of them is still standing.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.