Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
Thanks for the old shots. Brisbane today is virtually unrecognisable from those shots.

This has to be the most stunning transformation of a section of any city in Australia. From low rise to highrise in such a short period of time.

This looks like any town, but it is now a metropolis

·
Premium Member
9,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^^ Yes, that area was called the Roma St forum after the fruit markets were demolished. There used to be a few protests there on the news for various issues. It's all a construction site again as the new bus tunnel is being built through there.

·
Oh ma Lordee, lookee here
1,734 Posts
What's the big building with the dark top in the foreground? Rather striking.

[/QUOTE]

·
449 Posts
I noticed what appeared to be an old weather beacon on top of that building a few months back, and that pic confirms it. Cool :)
Yep that was the old MLC building (corner of Adelaide and Edward). Then the weather beacon moved to the new MLC building at corner of George and Adelaide.

Should move again IMO, to the top of Brisbane Square.

·
26,608 Posts
^^I'm pretty sure the weather beacon is still on top of that smaller building isn't it?

·
Premium Member
9,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
^^I'm pretty sure the weather beacon is still on top of that smaller building isn't it?

It is still there, on the old, old MLC building, but it doesn't light up anymore.

They will probably need to move the present beacon from MLC/Hitachi once all the planned buildings for that part of town are in place, it will be pretty obscured.

·
Registered
317 Posts
^^ Yes, that area was called the Roma St forum after the fruit markets were demolished. There used to be a few protests there on the news for various issues. It's all a construction site again as the new bus tunnel is being built through there.
that is still there

1 - 13 of 13 Posts