Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered Abuser
2,904 Posts
Nice. From virtually no highrise to what will soon be a forest of 200m+ giants. That's within forty years, even Dubai's jealous!

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Some more very great pictures. The only shame about the growth of the skyline is that it overshowed my favourite City/Town Hall in Australia. :)

·
7,976 Posts
The first pic I think you are referring to the Emirates House building. It has a small spire on it now.

The other one....Gateway area?

·
QUEENSLANDER!!!
2,567 Posts
the 70's was a tragic era for brisbane. can someone name just one building that looks good today or list 1 thing that has benefited the city?

thanks aussie!

·
Premium Member
9,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
The second one is the south side of the old Queensport Ferry, replaced by the Gateway Bridge (and now used as the Island floating river cruise bar).

Having studied the photo closer, I think they may have inverted it as the old ferry was East of the present bridge, and so in that case the old freezing works and hill the bridge is on should be to the right of the ferry in that picture.

They do have some photos inverted at times (especially at the National archive), and it can be confusing. Check out this 1980 City one.

·
Premium Member
9,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the 70's was a tragic era for brisbane. can someone name just one building that looks good today or list 1 thing that has benefited the city?

thanks aussie!
Merivale Bridge and electrifying/joining the rail system, that was late 70's, early 80's.

AMP building is still OK, but you are right a lot of it was poor. It's all that could be afforded at the time I guess, we were still a bit of an ignored backwater then.

·
Registered
1 Posts
1970s ann st

the picture of ann st with anzac sq on the left with the intersection of ann and edward in the background. cars seem to be going one way in the opposite direction to present day. anyone know when this swapped?
great pics aussie bhoy.

·
Premium Member
9,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You'll notice a lot of the old pictures have cars going in the different directions to now. I suspect Ann St may have changed directions when the Turbot St project was finished, which would have been early 70's.

·
Banned
74 Posts

thanks aussie!
Interesting...The 70's was THE DECADE! There was not that terrible "politically correct" thing the world has today. There was something about the 70's that, even those, like me, that were teenagers by that time, cannot describe in words. Look at these pictures. Brisbane looks so bucolic, so innocent, so "simple". An atmosphere that neither Brisbane nor any other city in the planet can recover...I miss that decade a lot!:)

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
You'll notice a lot of the old pictures have cars going in the different directions to now. I suspect Ann St may have changed directions when the Turbot St project was finished, which would have been early 70's.
There were also changes when the Queen Street Mall was opened in 1981.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts