Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
I see the 80's as a coming of age for Brisbane as it truely evolves into the city we see today.

I have always been keen to find information on Expo 88 but it's hard to find information plus pictures.

The Queen St mall has come a long way since the 80's. Love the electronic signage at Wintergarden Plaza. But why was it removed? I'd look fab today.

Thankyou for sharing AussieBhoy

·
Registered Abuser
2,904 Posts
Splendid. I remember having a disgusting slice of Pizza at expo 88. And I also remember the little Platypus guy in the yellow suit. Crazy times!

·
449 Posts
Wow. How quickly I forgot about those big blue shade structures in the old mall. Even as a kid they seemed quite silly to me, didnt seem to offer much shade and didnt protect from the rain much either.

Seeing the old shot versus new shot of the mall, I am really of the opinion that the mall renovation has been the cause of much of the new energy that has risen in the city in recent years.

·
Its a sleepy little town
3,883 Posts
Wow. How quickly I forgot about those big blue shade structures in the old mall. Even as a kid they seemed quite silly to me, didnt seem to offer much shade and didnt protect from the rain much either.

Seeing the old shot versus new shot of the mall, I am really of the opinion that the mall renovation has been the cause of much of the new energy that has risen in the city in recent years.

Now that u mention it... and I look at the picture again.
I have the most vague memories of the old shade.
When did they get rid of them?

Note im 20... so.. And i was def young when i have these memories

·
The Brisbane Edge
117 Posts
I think those electronic displays on the outside of the wintergarden were installed to display updated scores and results from the 1982 commonwealth games - i could be wrong though. I remember as a kid loving to watch the screen refresh, it made such a cool sound with each line of "panels" making a noise as it changed over - so cool...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Ah yes, those were the days ... when the Wintergarden was THE place to be when in the city (before the Myer Centre usurped it), and the mall was only 1 block long.

I think the 2 big blue things went when the mall expanded (around 1987) - not sure why, but they must have been a maintenance nightmare.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The time when Brisbane's AMP Place was king. Even today when its lost in all the other skyscrapers it doesn't look 20+ years old. I reckon AMP is Brisbane's most timeless building. You can't go past that sleek shape and golden colour

·
TRANSLink commuter
219 Posts
I know these pics were posted a few months back now but that is a great photo of South Brisbane railway station (and with the top of the Merivale railway bridge in the background too). Any photos of the old South Brisbane interstate plaform and carriage sheds by any chance?

·
TRANSLink commuter
219 Posts
^^ Thanks kindly for those extra Sth Brisbane railway station pics, they're terrific.

The one you posted with the small arch designs at the end of the platforms in the last photo (back when the station was the southside rail terminus) are still there today as you can see by a recent photo I took.

Sorry, but just some more recent photos I took while at South Brisbane station not long ago too.

Melbourne Street bridge crossing (dual guage tracks)

Sorry, forgot to include the photo I also took of the last remaining section of the original terminus wall at South Brisbane station (I think).

·
dink!
2,126 Posts
You know someone really should start an Expo 88 thread or add some of their pictures (there must be SOMEONE who was there and has pictures of it!). I went when I was only a wee one and have the most awesome memories of it. The robots at the front in the glass pyramids, that machine with the balls running through the wire tubes that had me mesmerised for hours, the awesome QLD exhibition, the shapes in the river... awesome! I wish Sydney would pull it's finger out and get something like this.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts