SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Welcome!!!

This thread will be for news and discussions related to Brisbane City cultural development. Whether that be for new festivals, theatre, art, or the unveiling of monuments and memorials.

·
Banned
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Queensland's Indigenous Diggers Memorial - To be unveiled in late 2018 on the lawn fronting the Queensland Women's Frieze in ANZAC Square.
It is definitely one of the nicest memorials I've seen as part of the push to recognize Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders who served in Australia's defence force. Adelaide built the first one I believe, but ours will be much nicer than the one planned for Sydney.
Dame Quentin Bryce also made it known that this is most certainly not in commemoration of the Frontier Conflict.

·
Banned
9,682 Posts
Just for clarity, this is not a thread about the yogurt factory going up in Yatala. That is a seperate thread, though also exciting.

·
Registered
15,712 Posts
Not the most recent news, but worthwhile including the move of the statue of Queen Elizabeth II from the old Bellevue site to the grounds of Government House (Fernberg) at Bardon. It was supposed to be dedicated during Government House's Queensland Day open day, but it was rained out.

JOINT STATEMENT

Premier and Minister for the Arts
The Honourable Annastacia Palaszczuk

Minister for State Development and Minister for Natural Resources and Mines
The Honourable Anthony Lynham

Sunday, April 17, 2016

Queen’s statue is moving to make way for Queen’s Wharf development

A life-size statue of Her Majesty The Queen will find a new permanent home at Government House, where she can continue to look out over the city, at Bardon.

Confirmation of the move comes ahead of the Queen’s 90th birthday this week.

The statue is acknowledged as a remarkable likeness of the Queen when she was in her 50s.

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said she wished the Queen many happy returns for her birthday. She has enjoyed a remarkable life.

“Over successive generations, the Queen has been an inspiration for so many Australians who admire and hold her in such high regard.

“The statue is an important tribute to the Queen and her service and we have ensured people will have the opportunity to continue to view it,” the Premier said.

However, the bronze sculpture will be relocated next month from Queen’s Place, opposite Parliament House ahead of the $3 billion Queen’s Wharf Project.

“The Governor, His Excellency, the Honourable Paul de Jersey AC, asked for the statue to move to Government House where is will be in place for Queensland Day celebrations in early June.

“Being at Government House- the State’s vice-regal residence – will ensure the Queen’s statue will be viewed by the public on open days and tours and at official functions.

“As a courtesy, both the Governor General and Buckingham Palace have been informed of the move and relocation.

“A rededication ceremony will be held once the statue is in place at Government House where the Queen has stayed twice, in 1954 and 1977.”Ms Palaszczuk said.

Minister for State Development, Dr Anthony Lynham said for the last 30 years the Queen’s Statue has looked out over Queen’s Place, on the site of the historic Bellevue Hotel which was demolished, despite great public outcry on the 20th of April 1979.

Dr Lynham said negotiations are on-going about the relocation of other important memorials in the area of the big job generating, Queen’s Wharf development.

The statue, by Dr John Dowie AM, is one of only two statues of the Queen in Brisbane and the only one in the world where she is holding an evening purse.

The other Dr John Dowie statue of Queens Elizabeth 2nd is at Parliament House in Canberra.

Media contact: 0417 263 791

·
Banned
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually in regards to that, isn't there a Battle for Australia memorial located on the Old Bellevue site as well?
Does anyone know what will happen to it?

·
Banned
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
This thread won't just be about memorials, but there are several which I feel most people haven't heard of.
This one is the Brisbane Naval Memorial, proposed for the South Brisbane Memorial Park. I can't seem to find much information on it, nor a date of completion. But I found photos of the cast complete. So I'm guessing instalment sometime this year?
Can't get image to work sorry.

·
Registered
15,712 Posts
^^ They've been talking about this proposed statue, on and off, for at least 5 odd years. From memory, it was to be a privately funded statue which probably is part of the reason it has taken so long. It will be good if finally installed – the pedestal on the stairs up to the park does seem notably empty. But at the same time, given how long it has taken to date, I'm not holding my breath to see it.

As for the other memorials inside the Queen's Wharf precinct, of which there are a few including one to Dutch nationals who contributed to the war effort and one listing the details of Queensland Police killed in the line of duty (on George Street near the Executive Building), I believe Star Entertainment will be footing the bill for their relocation, with locations chosen through co-operation with the groups who established the respective memorials. War ones would probably be better off in Anzac Square really, and the Police one outside Police HQ maybe? A lot of people wouldn't even know these memorials were even there in their current locations.

·
Chip on my shoulder (BBQ)
3,134 Posts
^^Why? Brisbane is certainly big enough and sophisticated enough these days, for a thread like this.

·
Registered
15,712 Posts
^^ It definitely is, but I tend to agree with TOCC, and expect a mod will move it in there beside the retail, political and ideas threads. Keep the main thread for buildings and developments.

·
Registered
15,712 Posts
The Courier Mail has put up an article saying that QAGOMA is set to host several new blockbuster exhibitions over the next 24-36 months, although details on these exhibitions are still underwraps, for now...

Art blockbusters coming to Brisbane QAGOMA

Phil Brown, The Courier-Mail
June 22, 2016 12:00am
Subscriber exclusive

THE National Gallery of Victoria opens its much touted Degas exhibition in Melbourne on Friday which has Queenslanders asking themselves — when the hell is our next big blockbuster?

The answer is, sooner than we thought.

We have been experiencing something of a blockbuster drought since the massive Cai Guo-Qiang: Falling Back to Earth exhibition which opened at the Gallery of Modern Art (GOMA) in Brisbane in late 2013.

It’s not that we haven’t had great shows since then, it’s just that we haven’t had any really, really big sexy ones.

READ MORE
While we haven't had any "big, sexy ones" since Cai Guo-Qiang: Falling Back to Earth (which was brilliant), it's worth noting that the recent Asia Pacific Triennial 8 pulled in a massive 605,000 visitations, well over twice the amount that Falling Back to Earth did.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
I thought the recent APT was the worst one they have had since starting them back in the 90's :(
I'm keen to see the Cindy Sherman exhibit and may pop in on Friday.

·
Registered
15,712 Posts
^^ I didn't see all of this year's APT, but I did see the huge reclaimed timber piece erected in the hallway, and was very impressed.

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
Welcome!!!

This thread will be for news and discussions related to Brisbane City cultural development. Whether that be for new festivals, theatre, art, or the unveiling of monuments and memorials.
How do you feel about concerts, rock, dance whatever, posted in here not as promotion but say if you went and wanted to share. Someone tried to do it in Skybar but it faded.

I'm happy with whatever you want but just thought I'd ask.

·
Banned
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How do you feel about concerts, rock, dance whatever, posted in here not as promotion but say if you went and wanted to share. Someone tried to do it in Skybar but it faded.

I'm happy with whatever you want but just thought I'd ask.
I don't own this thread.
Brisbane News & Gossip is great but its used mostly for announcements of new developments and mainstream discussions. I thought it would be a good idea to just have a thread for all the cultural things in one place, and concert tours are cultural.
Sort of came to this reasoning after I posted the new statues for St John's Cathedral, just didn't sit right posting it in the news area.

·
7,951 Posts
^^ I didn't see all of this year's APT, but I did see the huge reclaimed timber piece erected in the hallway, and was very impressed.
That was definitely impressive. There were some pretty great pieces at this year's APT, but like Bribri said, it did feel a little bit "less" than previous iterations. I do like the fact it was spread across multiple venues though...I actually found some of the best displays in the Art Gallery rather than GoMA.

·
Banned
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1920s Fashion Exhibition on at Old Government House.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-07-14/miss-fisher-fashions-on-show-in-brisbane-exhibition/7629984

An exhibition featuring more than 50 garments designed for the ABC TV series by award-winning costume designer Marion Boyce has opened at Brisbane's Old Government House in the QUT precinct.

She said she found it refreshing to work on a period piece from the 1920s that was not about gangsters and molls.

"Phryne herself was such a fantastic creature: flamboyant, maverick, bohemian, well-dressed and completely outrageous, which was irresistible," Boyce said.

The 1920s theme reflects the era in which women were breaking free with radical and daring new ways of dressing.

The Miss Fisher costume exhibition opens tomorrow and runs until September.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts