SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Queenslander
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Brisbane G20 2014

Brisbane will host the G20 summit of world leaders in 2014, multiple Australian government sources have confirmed.

Prime Minister Julia Gillard was preparing to make the announcement Wednesday, but a government source said word had leaked out late Tuesday due to the number of people involved in negotiations.

Gillard and most of her cabinet were in Redbank Plains, near Brisbane, on Tuesday night for a community forum but refused to comment on the G20.
None of the ministers or senior staff would speak on the record when asked about the G20 announcement, and Ms Gillard and many of her cabinet left straight after the forum without stopping to talk to community members or the media.

The G20, which takes in the world’s 20 major economies including the European Union, has previously announced the 2014 summit would be in Australia.

Numerous high-profile world leaders would descend on Queensland, including the President of the United States and Prime Minister of the United Kingdon, if the state hosts the G20 event and the summit would be expected to focus on economic issues.

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/nat...-g20-summit-20120710-21tor.html#ixzz20DP5rvNc

·
En travesti
510 Posts
That is seriously good news! Brisbane needs to raise its profile on the world stage.

·
Marketing & Fashion, yo.
1,342 Posts
Really, really happy about this one. It's a big deal and is actually something that seems to line up with (FINALLY) Brisbane's status as the supposed 'New World City' of Australia ;)

G

·
Really, really happy about this one. It's a big deal and is actually something that seems to line up with (FINALLY) Brisbane's status as the supposed 'New World City' of Australia ;)
Yes nothing like being a world city as a nuclear and terrorist target with talk that has not solved any of the world's problems especially climate change, human rights, boat people, overpopulation, starvation, nuclear threats etc etc. A few days under a police state, oh wait, it's Queensland it's always that way :lol:

Oh noticed Sydneysiders are a bit upset it's not happening in their city. Not surprising.

·
En travesti
510 Posts
Brisbane_Rulz said:
Yes nothing like being a world city as a nuclear and terrorist target with talk that has not solved any of the world's problems especially climate change, human rights, boat people, overpopulation, starvation, nuclear threats etc.
If we can get all the world leaders over here then Julia will lecture them and we can solve all those problems and some more too!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Yes nothing like being a world city as a nuclear and terrorist target with talk that has not solved any of the world's problems especially climate change, human rights, boat people, overpopulation, starvation, nuclear threats etc etc. A few days under a police state, oh wait, it's Queensland it's always that way :lol:

Oh noticed Sydneysiders are a bit upset it's not happening in their city. Not surprising.
Well said Brisbane Rulz, agree with all of that.

·
Marketing & Fashion, yo.
1,342 Posts
Brisbane_Rulz said:

Didn't realize it was possible to be that negative.

·
New Urbanist
5,526 Posts
Even though I am fully against car tunnels like the Clem7 and ridiculous Legacy Way, I have always been fully supportive of Airport Link for reasons like this... an international city always needs a fast road link from its Airport to the CBD.

·
Queenslander
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Starting to get a bit off topic, but I think Legacy Way is actually quite a worthy project, just like a M4 East would be in Sydney. Building an orbital network and taking pressure off inner city suburbs.

Anthony Albanese has a valid point relating to Sydney airport accommodating a large number of these state aircraft to park and to land without curfews. Hope they don't mind the Brisbane holding patterns though.

Eric, did you happen to join the ALP about 18 months ago or so? Have noticed a bit of a shift in your posts.

·
New Urbanist
5,526 Posts
Eric, did you happen to join the ALP about 18 months ago or so? Have noticed a bit of a shift in your posts.
Well the labor party seems to install more progressive reforms and ideas which alligns to my own opinions. Eg town planning, transport and the environment. There's a stark contrast between the two paries on these issues.

Sorry to diverge from the topic

·
Registered
528 Posts
Well the labor party seems to install more progressive reforms and ideas which alligns to my own opinions. Eg town planning, transport and the environment. There's a stark contrast between the two paries on these issues.

Sorry to diverge from the topic
Is it no wonder that you approve of the Airport Link, which was thought up by a Labor state government and not the Clem 7 and Legacy Way which was the baby of an LNP government. I am usually a LNP voter, but I realise that all three tunnels are great as they compliment each other and feed into each other.

In terms of Town Planning, the LNP have employed an Assistant Minister for Planning Reform with an aim to shortening time frames. Also, CSG exploration commenced under a Labor Government along with the dredging in Gladstone and Port expansion in Central Qld. Newman has been in 3 months, hardly enough time to gauge his environmental credentials.

The Labor Government were positive in transport planning with the additional rail lines and busways...

G

·
I'm still struggling to understand what the big deal is if something is not held in Sydney, it's just a talkfest which won't achieve much and the delusion that Queensland is going to get tons of money out of this? If you want 40 plus jumbo jets, not being allowed to walk around your own city, protests et al, you can have it, besides maybe the current USA president might be tossed out (hope not). But the decision has been made so, whatever, opinions are fine just to want it purely for being Sydney and no other reason smacks of stupidity.

·
Marketing & Fashion, yo.
1,342 Posts
I'm still struggling to understand what the big deal is if something is not held in Sydney, it's just a talkfest which won't achieve much and the delusion that Queensland is going to get tons of money out of this? If you want 40 plus jumbo jets, not being allowed to walk around your own city, protests et al, you can have it, besides maybe the current USA president might be tossed out (hope not). But the decision has been made so, whatever, opinions are fine just to want it purely for being Sydney and no other reason smacks of stupidity.
You're missing the point. It gives Brisbane a place among other great world cities who've hosted this event. It get's people talking about Brisbane and it gives Brisbane a bit more cred ---- it's a big deal to host this event.

·
Registered
17,041 Posts
There's also the fact that for the duration of the summit you have 7000 people I think the press said, 4000 leaders & entourage and 3000 world press, staying and spending money in Brisbane (well, Gold and Sunny Coasts as well). Maxing out our hotels, spending money in restaurants/for room service as these people all need to eat, a nice payday for Brisbane Airport Corp... it's a bit of a boon financially for a lot of people.

That said, I'm with BrizzyChris in that I'd have to use Google to know any city that has hosted the G20. It's not going to be a long lasting exposure for the city, but while the leaders are here, you will still see Brisbane on every news program on every channel in the G20 nations. Maybe, just maybe, that will be enough to let some people know that there's more to Australia than Sydney, Melbourne and the Outback.

·
New Urbanist
5,526 Posts
Its not whether you associate Brisbane as a 'G20 city' as such, its more that you have heard of Brisbane because of something you remember seeing on the news. Familiarity is what it will achieve.

·
Marketing & Fashion, yo.
1,342 Posts
In relation to the security problems; I was living in Seoul when they hosted both the G20 and last year's Nuclear Summit. You just avoid the areas if you can. From what I recall, most people over there didn't didn't seem concerned with any burden of hosting it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts