1971 Anzac Sq

1971 Cnr Queen and Albert Sts

1972 City

1974 Flood Aerial

1981 Lang Park

·
Oh ma Lordee, lookee here
1,734 Posts
Great stuff: repeating some I could never let go from a thread developed several years ago:

Cloudland ballroom

Goodbye to the lovely old Bellevue

flooding seems to be one of Brisbane's themes

·
1,734 Posts
and some more repeats: knew I should keep these. This is in honour of Brisbane's Great Week:
jitter-bugging GIs:

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
In several of those photos it's hard to believe Brisbane is a sub-tropical city.
The "1959 City" photo especially makes it look like a cool climate city like Melbourne.
City Hall is one impressive building though - probably the best looking municipal building in Australia. It looks great at night.

·
26,579 Posts
It's interesting in that 1959 South Brisbane shot, it's disapointing to see what they demolished to build the supreme court.

Was this the old supreme court building?

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
It's interesting in that 1959 South Brisbane shot, it's disapointing to see what they demolished to build the supreme court.

Doubt it. From what I have been told from relations that grew up in inner Brizzy in the 50s & 60s, South Brisbane was always industrial...
I think the Courts were in the CBD... when I was in BNE last month I asked the question and was given the answer, now I just can't remember it.
Possibly Albert Street?

·
26,579 Posts
^^Yeah I was talking about the building in the CBD at the far bottom right of the pic.

·
Registered
77,305 Posts
excellent. that means Vision tower is in flood zone?lol

·
Registered
44 Posts
In fact almost the entire CBD is in a flood zone! Could any other Capital City flood?
Well, not exactly. The vast majority of the head waters that causes the Brisbane River to be flood prone comes from the wivenhoe/summerset catchment I believe. This was primarily why Wivenhoe Dam was constructed after the 1974 floods. The fact that it could also supply town water was only a bonus, Brisbane was never meant to rely so heavily on Wivenhoe for water as it was essentially intended as a flood mitigation measure. That catchment, although large, is known to at times have unreliable rainfall. The problem is, when it rains there, IT RAINS THERE. All of that water then gets channeled down the Brisabane river... hence the 1974 floods. I believe the latest extension to Wivenhoe's wall allows it too withstand a once in one hundred thousand year flood. So it would be very difficult for Brisbane to flood without something first happening to Wivenhoe Dam.

The problem we're left with now is that because the dam is so large and stayed full for so long, the government was caught with it's pants down when it started running dry. While the draught has certainly accelerated the problem, the Queensland Government and Brisbane City Council have known about this for the better part of 20 years at least (Both sides of politics are as guilty as each other).

·
26,579 Posts
^^I was reading a report into the waterways of Brisbane, and it said that the rain that caused the 1974 flood happened downstream of the Wivenhoe Dam wall. So even if Wivenhoe existed, the 1974 flood still would have happened.

·
Premium Member
9,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Yes it was, it was partially destroyed by an arsonist in 1968, and rather than fix it, they demolished it and built the present bland building.

·
1,734 Posts
In fact almost the entire CBD is in a flood zone! Could any other Capital City flood?
Reporting that the mighty Queensland colonial navy gunboat Paluma ended up high and dry in the botanical gardens after a 24ft flood in 1894. Fortunately another flood came a few days later and refloated her.

I further dedicate this as another salute to Queensland's Great Week. Is this why Bribane is making its buildings taller and taller ? - from John Bastock's Australia's Ships of War

·
26,579 Posts
Yes it was, it was partially destroyed by an arsonist in 1968, and rather than fix it, they demolished it and built the present bland building.

Now after they move the supreme court to next to the magistrates court, the current brutalist building can be demolished. Then we can have another tower on that site (which is bigger than Vision's site I'm quite sure)

·
Registered
44 Posts
^^I was reading a report into the waterways of Brisbane, and it said that the rain that caused the 1974 flood happened downstream of the Wivenhoe Dam wall. So even if Wivenhoe existed, the 1974 flood still would have happened.
Yeah, that is correct. Whether or not the floods would still have happened is actually hard to say, however they wouldn't have been so severe. Part of the problem with the 1974 floods was that due to the cyclonic conditions heavy rainfall had fallen over several catchments and the city itself at the same time. As a result the floods were caused by compounding factors. Most of the water that flooded parts of Brisbane came from Brisbane itself (+ some of the surrounding areas). The reason this water built up to such a degree was because it wasn't able to escape as the Brisbane river was already struggling to remove water from the deeper catchments thus creating a back log. Wivenhoe was never designed to completely stop the flooding but rather split the problem to prevent such a severe flood in the future. Basically the dam allows us to regulate the amount of head water from that catchement that flows down the river during a flood.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Could any other Capital City flood?
There was minor flooding in the Yarra in Feb 2005 following an overnight storm that dumped 110mm on the metro area in 2 hours. The river spilt on to the Southbank promenade.
The Mel CBD was unaffected IIRC, though I'm sure pockets of flash flooding were around.

There was a downpour in the mid 1970 that turned Elizabeth Street in to a torrent - there's an infamous black & white image out there.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts