SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 199 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I'd like to see what Melbourne have been doing and remove railway level crossings. http://ptv.vic.gov.au/projects/railway-crossings/removing-level-crossings
Start with the two at coorparoo and also redevlop the industrial buildings near the train station to TOD's. There are some really trashy places near that station, it looks like a run down outer suburb industrial area.

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
I left work at Coorparoo in March but I totally agree with you on that one used to have to walk across that one a lot.

The improvement to Brisbane is simply ignore the country town comments, that's a product of the 70's and 80's that's dead and comes from the ignorant.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
A better urbanized public transport system might help. The fragility of public transportation in the Brisbane metropolitan area is an open book.....

When urban transport systems experiences major difficulties, consequences are felt by households, by businesses, and by the urban community at large. I know it's a massive challenge and the problems can sometimes appear insurmountable, but really they’re not. The powers to be really have to do something akin to a public transport game-changer. If they don't I think Brisbane might well experience some pain in the next decade or so.

Apart from that I think Brisbane as a city is going alright, a thriving metropolis, buzzing with culture and style that pretty much offers everything a great medium sized city should.

·
Registered
517 Posts
one thing I'd like to see is a better investment in our outer suburb retail strips. All look very tired and unappealing, especially if you compare to those in Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide. But I'd like to see better streetscaping (trees!!! More trees!!), and encourage more development around them to create urban villages. Nundah I've been to recently and looks to be improving, same with Stones Corner.

Like everyone, I'd like to see a greater investment in public transport, in the implementation of light rail and a metro. More active infrastructure in the form of more bridges across the river.

I'd also like to see our major roads (being from the southside, roads such as Logan, Old Cleveland, Lytton, Ipswich) all turned into a 6 lane configuration with one lane each way as bus lanes or T2/3 lanes (or even possibly the light rail option) and create urban corridors of medium density along these roads.

·
Banned
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've always thought it would be a good idea to make the Queensland Club as the Premier's residence a sort of "White House" if you like.
It would also create a new attraction for tourists, occupied government residences are always interesting to see.

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
I've always thought it would be a good idea to make the Queensland Club as the Premier's residence a sort of "White House" if you like.
It would also create a new attraction for tourists, occupied government residences are always interesting to see.
Was standing outside there today - what a good idea.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
The membership might disagree with you.

·
Banned
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In light of recent comments made at Brisbane News & Gossip, I thought it would be a great idea to have a cable car stretching from Kangaroo Point Cliffs to Moreton Island. I know it would be an ENORMOUS task, but just think of the great benefits it would bring for tourists and locals alike, easy access to the beach in a beautiful scenic way.
The cablecar would run straight through the bay, my concerns with it are how to raise it high enough to allow ships access to the port.
I was thinking maybe having a platform in the middle of the bay (Similar to an oil rig and marking halfway essentially) working as a stopover with restaurants and a café, toilets, etc.
I also think the cablecar should run from Kangaroo Point Cliffs as it would give the area a good tourist attraction bringing more people into the area. A future Kangaroo Point bridge to the CBD would complement the attraction further.

It may be a far fetched idea, any thoughts?

·
®
5,998 Posts
Brisbane should have a cable car from the top of Mt Cootha to the bottom somewhere. Will be good for tourism and easing parking issues during big events. They can then have less need for parking at the top and some of the parking area up there can be converted into other uses or restored to additional parkland.

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
I've said it before and i'l say it again, Brisbane should harness it's eco-tourism side and capitalise on its sub-tropical climate.

When the Mt Cootha Quarry is closed down i would love to see it converted into something similar like the Eden Project in the UK. The stones cliffs, and the protection from the elements along with the dome's allow the creation of regulated microclimates. Maybe not exactly the same, but similar in concept.

Queensland has the Great Barrier Reef, Fraser Island, Gondwana Rainforests and the Wet Tropics which are all declared on the World Heritage Register. Australia's competitive edge in the international tourism trade in the future will be eco-tourism, where high quality service is provided to a limited number. Something like this would be a fantastic stimulus for that industry. Turn Mt Cootha and the Royal Botanic Gardens into a world class eco-tourism location, it already has the foundations with the parklands there currently, it just needs to be taken to the next level by offering something unique.

·
Registered
15,713 Posts
In light of recent comments made at Brisbane News & Gossip, I thought it would be a great idea to have a cable car stretching from Kangaroo Point Cliffs to Moreton Island.

It may be a far fetched idea, any thoughts?
A cable car from Kangaroo Point to Moreton Island??? I can't see a cable car running that far as being feasible, and the view over between the cliffs and the bay isn't exactly stunning...

That said, I strongly feel that Brisbane really doesn't capitalise on the beauty of Moreton Bay anywhere near as much as it really should, and I think this is the point you're getting at with the cable car idea. It really needs to be positioned as Brisbane's answer to Sydney Harbour because, geographically speaking, it is every bit as spectacular, if not moreso. The only reason I feel it isn't reaching its full potential is simply down to Brisbane being so far inland from the bay. Had the Moreton Bay Penal Colony been able to stick it out at its original landing point at Redcliffe, with the modern day city emerging there, I think that it would be much more recognised and utilised today.

·
Banned
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A cable car from Kangaroo Point to Moreton Island??? I can't see a cable car running that far as being feasible, and the view over between the cliffs and the bay isn't exactly stunning...

That said, I strongly feel that Brisbane really doesn't capitalise on the beauty of Moreton Bay anywhere near as much as it really should, and I think this is the point you're getting at with the cable car idea. It really needs to be positioned as Brisbane's answer to Sydney Harbour because, geographically speaking, it is every bit as spectacular, if not moreso. The only reason I feel it isn't reaching its full potential is simply down to Brisbane being so far inland from the bay. Had the Moreton Bay Penal Colony been able to stick it out at its original landing point at Redcliffe, with the modern day city emerging there, I think that it would be much more recognised and utilised today.
I think that the bay will become more and more utilised as a Brisbane Landmark as development continues to grow nearer to it, ie; Hamilton, Wynnum, Redcliffe, and so on.

I think it would be great to create a manmade island in the bay (maybe east or southeast of Redcliffe) that would serve as the cruise ship port, and connected to the mainland by bridge that way it avoids the industrial areas of the airport/port.

The island could have its own economy, with hotels, residential, commercial, and nightlife. The island would be landscaped in a similar style to Singapore's "Gardens by the Bay".
Here we could even design man made beaches complete with tropical boulevards of palms and create Moreton Bay's largest marina with lots of tourist operators taking people to Moreton Island by boat and the Brisbane City Cats could then lead people from the CBD to this island. What do you think?

·
7,951 Posts
I think the fact that Qld premiers (or any state premier for that matter), simply live in their own house, is a great thing, and would be fairly pointless (not to mention costly) to move them somewhere else.

As for cable car from KP to Moreton Island - engineering wise, it's doable; cost wise, it would never ever happen. Would never have the patronage to make it work, not to mention do we really want people flooding such a beautiful natural landscape?

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
I'd rather take a boat to Moreton island, just improve the ferry links, a bridge or even a cable car would be ridiculously intrusive.

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
Also cable cars don't go particularly fast do they? It would take hours to make the trip from Kangaroo Point to Moreton Island.

·
Registered
15,713 Posts
They must have resubmitted as the DA approval is from 9 April 2015.

Here's the rendering I saw. More images (although they're very big) of Topaz Apartments on the HAL Architects website:

An update on this one, care of a Lost Brisbane Facebook post, demolition has well and truly commenced, with Abbotsford House looking very sad for itself at the moment.

Abbotsford's Make Over. by ktotakov ☭, on Flickr

The guy who took this photo has a whole set showing much of the formerly derelict house prior to the start of redevelopment. If you go to the Flickr link and look for the album the image is in, you should see the rest of the shots.

EDIT: Check out the guy's whole flickr page, there's a lot of very interesting urbex-style photos in there!

1 - 20 of 199 Posts