SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Chip on my shoulder (BBQ)
3,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These are beautiful trees and are in bloom for about six to eight weeks at this time of year.

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
I'm sure it's Jacaranda time here in Sydney as well. Lovely sight.
I know there is a Christmas song that the Jacarandas bloom, Christmas is almost here.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Lovely!

·
6,434 Posts
Love the jacarandas in flower. I just discovered the other day that Pretoria is also famous for jacarandas, prehaps more so then Brisbane. And apparentely because the blooming coincides with year end exams, there is a superstition at University of Pretoria that if a jacaranda flower falls on your head, then you'll pass your exams :)

photo by South African Tourism on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/south-african-tourism/2418526898/

photo by giovanni paccaloni on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/giopac/2967327065/

·
Chip on my shoulder (BBQ)
3,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Love the jacarandas in flower. I just discovered the other day that Pretoria is also famous for jacarandas, prehaps more so then Brisbane. And apparentely because the blooming coincides with year end exams, there is a superstition at University of Pretoria that if a jacaranda flower falls on your head, then you'll pass your exams :)

Yes, Pretoria, like Brisbane, is famous for its Jacarandas. They seem to do well in sub-tropical climates. Grafton in NSW is also very famous for these trees.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
^^Yeah, I know there's an old thing at both Bond uni and UQ where when the jacarandas come out it's time to start studying for exams.

How can we forget everyone's favourite jacarada in Brisbane:

Photo by meremail on flickr

·
Registered
19,880 Posts
Yep, that one at Town Hall is well known partly for its location and partly because it has the odd habit of flowering at times of the year when it's not supposed to flower.
Austin Grove at Zetland (Sydney) has a short but spectacular avenue of jacarandas with 4 rows of trees, all in bloom at the moment.

·
Registered
126 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts