SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since this seems to be getting to be a bit of an issue, it probably deserves its own thread.

New Article, with more detailed route info -

Labor talks up light rail for CBD

A LIGHT-RAIL line through Queen Street Mall is among proposals in a report detailing mass transit options for inner Brisbane.

Deputy Mayor David Hinchliffe yesterday released details of the route for a light-rail system as detailed in the Mass Transit Options study commissioned by Labor councillors.

Like previous light-rail proposals, it includes a link to Bowen Hills, Newstead and the Royal Brisbane and Women's Hospital, areas undergoing rapid population growth from urban renewal. The core of the route would be along Queen St.

"In previous studies, Adelaide St has been highlighted as the preferred route, however with the Adelaide St bus mall in full force and operating well, it may prove successful to separate the two networks yet keep them in close proximity to each other," the study says.

Light rail on Queen St also would allow easy interchange with its underground bus station.

The core component would be a link to Fortitude Valley. The network also would travel along Eagle, Margaret and George streets, with connections to the Queensland University of Technology, Parliament House, the Roma Street Transit Centre, and the Cultural Centre at South Bank.

The Labor councillors' Mass Transit Study report also suggests options for a city metro system and augmented inner-city loop system. However, Labor's transport spokeswoman Maureen Hayes said the light-rail option was capturing people's imagination.

Cr Hayes has just returned from overseas where she studied mass transit systems in London, Portugal, and Malaysia. She said many overseas CBDs were implementing a congestion tax – a levy for taking a car into the CBD.

"The answer is not just to say this is the demand, let's cater for it. The answer is let's control the demand. Demand control is what they're looking at overseas everywhere," Cr Hayes said.

She believes Brisbane might have to consider a congestion tax once a mass transit system is operating, but upgrading public transport is the first priority.

The Labor councillors' decision to fund and release their own report on CBD public transport is a clever tactic by Cr Hinchliffe.

For the past year, he has had to take on a negative role, criticising Lord Mayor Campbell Newman's plan for tunnels and a bridge.

By proposing a mass transit system, Cr Hinchliffe has painted himself as the "can-do" man to the annoyance of the Liberals who hold the transport portfolio in council.

The project also has reinvigorated Cr Hayes, who hated being moved from transport to the finance chair and subsequently resigned.

Labor's plans for mass transit have given her a new hobby horse.

"When I got into transport, it genuinely became a passion, Cr Hayes said. "I've just been overseas and I've again looked at major transport, particularly London."

Transport and Major Projects committee chairman Graham Quirk told the council the report made it clear that only a "minor analysis" of routes had taken place.

All the hard work of establishing passenger and economic viability of any route lay ahead.

He said he was concerned at a plan for an apparent extension of the light-rail system across the pedestrian-cycle Goodwill Bridge.

----------------------------------------------------

Sounds pretty good to me - the system will have to be extended but you have to start somewhere. Have to wonder about the ideas to have light rail go across the Goodwill Bridge though.

·
Read Only
809 Posts
Bad idea about trams going through the Q St Mall. Thats what happens in Bourke St, Melb and look at that sorry excuse for a Mall. Put 'em down Adelaide St, its only a block's walk away for chrissake.

·
Yeah but No!!
1,503 Posts
Yeah having it go through QSM is a little bit stupid, like its not crowded enough at lunch time or when theres a special event on at the top stage already. Not sure that light rail would be able to manouvre through the QSM bus station though so that might not be an option either.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Truthfully I never considered that they would be thinking of putting it on the surface of the Mall. I though it would involve just the current bus station - I obviously didn't read the article that well.

I don't like it at all. They would have no choice but to get rid of the stages, a bit of the seating and gardens just to fit it in(no room for pedestrians otherwise). It is a pedestrian mall and should remain that.

·
Its a sleepy little town
3,883 Posts
^ I was about to post this when i discovered you had lol.

I thought the same thing. Dont put it down the mall, thats stupid. It would ruin it, and make it like Bourke St. no one wants to dodge trams.

Adelaide St is the best option there is. It is between the mall and Central.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I finally got my hands on a copy of the CM and there is a little map inside. I modified mine so that is the same excepty mine has stops (which I couldn't be bothered getting rid of).

The QSM thing is a diaster but if it is put down Adelaide street it should be almost perfect. Those 3 small arms that come off the main loop on the left side area little weird, and I don't really see the point to all of them being there. Maybe only have the one that comes off the corner and have it bend towards QUT at some point(?). Only one station on the southside is also diappointing...they could atleast expand it to somewhere arround the corner of Boundary and Melbourne Streets in West End. The Valley/New Farm end is probably the best part beside the city loop, and kind of surprising given that they want to link it up the the RBH.

Personally I think a group of people need to sit down and just work out how the whole mass transit system is to fit together....it seems like it is going to be light rail v buses on a few of the routes.

Out of interest did anyone hear Quirks busway plan? A new bus bridge would be built parrallel to the Grey Street Bridge so that buses can cross the river there rather than via Victoria bridge. This will mean that the two busways will join arround roma street and continue together via the city tunnel to the QSM bus station, which will act lik a terminus.

·
Its a sleepy little town
3,883 Posts
Not bad. Hopefully positioned with provisions for future extensions.

Whats with the random arm coming off George st going down.... Elizabeth?

Definitly needs to be taken off Queen st, thats a terrible terrible idea.

·
Registered Yooser
1,456 Posts
Sounds great.

Except for QSM. Thats out city's heart and doing anything to it would subsequently ruin it. Going undergound may work, but the current bus station would need heavy modification. Adelaide Street would be the best option, close to everything, but still open for traffic.

·
7,972 Posts
A busway bridge would be stupid. IMO, anymore bridges near the CBD will ruin the look of it.

Good news about the light rail though. Remember, even if there is only one stop on the southside proposed at the moment, it would be very hard at all to extend in the near future.

·
D grade celebrity
1,195 Posts
There should be a lightrail city loop, not only to accomplish any future underground heavy rail loop but also for commuters and tourism.

·
Captain Awesome
738 Posts
In the Courier Mail a few days ago, (can't remember the date) they showed a controvertial plan to reroute the SE Busway off the Victoria Bridge. Instead it would run parrallel to the railway and a new bridge would be built next to the Merivale Bridge then the buses would be routed through a tunnel under Roma Street. I personally don't like the idea as it unneccesarily increases travel time.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Nothing wrong with running trams down malls. Some of the world's most successful malls have trams down the middle of them. They just have to get the design right.

·
D grade celebrity
1,195 Posts
MrPC said:
Nothing wrong with running trams down malls. Some of the world's most successful malls have trams down the middle of them. They just have to get the design right.
But how wide are these other alleged malls? Queen Street is not as wide as say Bourke Street in Melbourne, plus the council would have to deal with ripping up the mall again. I don't think traders would want it.

·
PTnut
588 Posts
Bourke St Mall

Queen St

They look quite similar to me. Personally I think Bourke St Mall has been designed well, so that the pedestrian mall blends in perfectly with the tram carriageway and people still stroll along like theyre on a mall. Now Swanston St is what you don't want, where the carriageway and footpath is very clearly defined and discourages people from walking on street and using it as a pedestrian mall, although cars are prohibited on Swanston St during daylight hours.

The only major disadvantage is that the average speed of the trams is reduced as they go through a mall, although I doubt the speed differs greatly when it taverses the other sections of Bourke St.

·
Registered Yooser
1,456 Posts
QSM wouldn't work with light rail, no matter how well designed. it's not that wide and is predominately a place to hang out, shop etc. It's already packed as it is and trams having to navigate through the massive amounts of people would be inefficient.

I've been to Bourke Street plenty of times, and it really dosen't have the same feel that QSM has.

·
Its a sleepy little town
3,883 Posts
Yes, there are seats, gardens, fountains, etc all up the middle, not to mention the stage.

And people DO hang out there. People could no longer stand near the centre... Its always packed.

Putting down tram lines WOULD ruin Austs best pedestrian mall, and make it equal with Bourke St.

Bourke St looks like it WOULD be better without the tram lines.

·
D grade celebrity
1,195 Posts
Could the Northern end of the mall support the weight of trams above?

I think the shop owners would not not X amount of months of disruptions while the tram guts the mall out.

·
Registered Yooser
1,456 Posts
^^

Good call, I have a feeling it may not. Having the bus station underneath.

Thats another thing, the bus stations would have to be totally remoddelled because the entrances on QSM would have to be moved.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts