SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Like whatever....
9,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brisbane needs 1,054 highrise towers to deliver Regional Plan:
Property Council

Published: 29 Apr 2009 Added by: QLD Division Author: Property Council of Australia

The Property Council today expressed strong support for Lord Mayor Campbell Newman's calls that Brisbane needs to ‘go up if we can’t go out.’

Property Council Queensland Executive Director, Steve Greenwood, said “The Lord Mayor’s proposal to increase building density in Brisbane is the right decision, if we are to accommodate the requirements of the South East Queensland Regional Plan.”

“The draft South East Queensland Regional Plan calls for regional infill growth of 325 500 dwellings between 2006 and 2031 to house its share of over 1.6 million new people coming to SEQ,” Mr Greenwood said.

“Brisbane’s share of that is nearly 40%, or 126,500 of the total new infill dwellings in South East Queensland - and Brisbane City Council is showing strong leadership and taking action to meet these State Government established targets.

“This means that we will need the equivalent of 48, 20-storey towers to be constructed each year, for the next 22 years, to deliver on these assumptions – that’s 1054 towers between now and 2031.

“Over 80% of all new dwellings in Brisbane are proposed to be built into our existing suburbs in the next 20-plus years, and we must find places to accommodate these people,” Mr Greenwood said.

“We understand that residents may have some concerns about the proposed changes.

“However, many of us remember that there were similar levels of community concern raised when Southbank and the Tenneriffe urban renewal areas were proposed.

“These areas are now widely regarded as huge success stories - by the residents that live there and also by visitors to Brisbane.

“I am confident that the new higher density areas we will see emerging over the next 20 years will be just as successful.

“The low-hanging fruit and real opportunities for Brisbane are building alongside our expanding rail and busway network. Where better to concentrate new residents, jobs and services than at high-frequency public transport hubs?

“With housing affordability a forefront issue for Queenslanders, it is important that we maximise the opportunities our city presents for the creation of new, affordable homes.

“To make this happen, we need to ensure that State’s planning system does everything it can to support transit oriented development (TODs) and more efficient land use.

“The State’s Integrated Planning Act needs to be urgently amended to enable delivery of the Regional Plan – including designating these TOD sites for a special, fast-tracked development assessment process.

“Council planning schemes also need to be updated urgently to enable this style of development to occur. At present the process of amendment is taking years, when in reality it should take no more than six months.

“This is a new and exciting phase in the development and growth of Brisbane and it will lead to a greater diversity of lifestyles and quality of life for Brisbane's residents.

“The State and Council need to work together in conjunction with industry to make it happen.”
http://www.propertyoz.com.au/qld/Article/Resource.aspx?p=21&media=1385

Looks like we may see some more cranes :)
J

·
Crazy young doge man
2,697 Posts
Will this affect me driving lorries down the motorway from Brisbane to the Gold Coast?

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
This reflects comments made a few months ago from the same people. It all sounds great and makes a lot of sense, though I am very interested to see if their growth projections are accurate at all. That's going to be some SERIOUS crane overload... Almost like the 70s again.

·
Like whatever....
9,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This reflects comments made a few months ago from the same people. It all sounds great and makes a lot of sense, though I am very interested to see if their growth projections are accurate at all. That's going to be some SERIOUS crane overload... Almost like the 70s again.
I wasn't here in the 70's - was that big? I know a lot of ugly office towers got built in Brisbane during the 70's but no real residential.

j

·
Like whatever....
9,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
instead of building 48, 20 storey buildings, i would rather have 24, 40 storey highrises
Nah - I prefer the lower option, its more like Sao Paulo. Imagine the carpet of highrise buildings in 20 years if this goes ahead. Well not carpet but more interlaced clumps along major rail and bus corridors. Still it should be an interesting view from Coot-tha in the future.

J

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
I wasn't here in the 70's - was that big? I know a lot of ugly office towers got built in Brisbane during the 70's but no real residential.
Brisbane's 70s boom was utterly epic. I wonder if there's any stats as to the number of cranes on the skyline. It was huuuuge. Truly the period when Brisbane became a city and not a town.

·
5,172 Posts
Obviously they're aiming for the extreme, exaggerated assumption in that article. They are presuming that all of the dwelling growth will be in high-rise towers.

According to their calculations they've assumed 105 units per 20-storey apartment tower, which equates to around 5 units per floor (not a realistic yield).

Of course most of the new dwelling growth in existing urban areas will be through lot subdivison, duplexes, villas/townhouses, low-rise units (2-3 storeys), mid-rise units (4-12 storeys).

But if arguments like this help produce a steady stream of towers in the CBD and suburbs over the next 20 or so years (even if not 48 per year) I won't be complaining!

·
Like whatever....
9,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Obviously they're aiming for the extreme, exaggerated assumption in that article. They are presuming that all of the dwelling growth will be in high-rise towers.

According to their calculations they've assumed 105 units per 20-storey apartment tower, which equates to around 5 units per floor (not a realistic yield).

Of course most of the new dwelling growth in existing urban areas will be through lot subdivison, duplexes, villas/townhouses, low-rise units (2-3 storeys), mid-rise units (4-12 storeys).

But if arguments like this help produce a steady stream of towers in the CBD and suburbs over the next 20 or so years (even if not 48 per year) I won't be complaining!
I agree. Its probably extreem to suggest all those new towers will be built. Of course we only have limited land left and Brisbane City is expected to shoulder 40% of the growth - where will people go? We've now protected half the inner suburbs from subdivision by limiting lot sizes in Demo control precincts which puts even more pressure on those areas which can stil grow. I'd say watch the areas already experiencing high growth.

Its a good argument to put forward to city planners when trying to get highrise built. And when that doesn't work a quick email to Campbell Newman could be the trick - he loves highrise:)

·
Like whatever....
9,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is it just me or has this thread been moved 3 times now? I started it in News Weather, it then went somewhere else and then came back, now its here?

OMG I wish I got around as much as this thread :lol:

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Is it just me or has this thread been moved 3 times now? I started it in News Weather, it then went somewhere else and then came back, now its here?

this threads just a *****

·
Registered
262 Posts
Ummm...BCC recently INCREASED the minimum size (new) block from 400sqm to 450sqm???

unfortunately the headlines say one thing, and the reality is another. half the city is locked into ridiculous low residential density zoning - so one house per block is it - insane.

·
6,435 Posts
instead of building 48, 20 storey buildings, i would rather have 24, 40 storey highrises
Or how bout six Burj Dubai - 160 storey buildings :D 1000 new highrises is a very cool thing to imagine in theory though, and yeh Sao Paulo is what I though of too

I don't think the thread is as slutty as you think it is. I only moved it once (cause its about skyscrapers, should be utilising our on-topic sections) You probably just followed the redirect I left.

·
Maglev Believer
2,259 Posts
Will this affect me driving lorries down the motorway from Brisbane to the Gold Coast?
Traffic might be a little heavier. Just try to avoid the peak hour rushes and you should survive. If not get a train..... :lol:

I like these stories, sometimes we need over the top articles if only to soften up the NIMBY's a little so that other things do get through. Make them think they are actually achieving a middle ground.

One can only hope that the next version of City Plan will see some much more generous zonings in the places that should be zoned so. The highest zoning levels only really apply in Kangaroo Point and the Strip along Coro Drive, we need to expand where appropriate.

·
Like whatever....
9,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Traffic might be a little heavier. Just try to avoid the peak hour rushes and you should survive. If not get a train..... :lol:

I like these stories, sometimes we need over the top articles if only to soften up the NIMBY's a little so that other things do get through. Make them think they are actually achieving a middle ground.

One can only hope that the next version of City Plan will see some much more generous zonings in the places that should be zoned so. The highest zoning levels only really apply in Kangaroo Point and the Strip along Coro Drive, we need to expand where appropriate.
The latest update shows "High Density" around Woolloongabba and down Logan Road. From Memory much of Wynnum (where a lot of my work is based) is being re-zoned to "High Density" to allow for highrise apartments. Now this all depends on how many lots a developer can buy up.

j

1 - 20 of 61 Posts