SkyscraperCity banner

17961 - 17980 of 18070 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,121 Posts
Thanks, I am an occasional city cyclist, and I had no idea. I haven't seen a single one with a bike on it. I was thinking it was some sort of art thing meant to publicise something, green hearts, etc. Or it had electronics inside and was for wi-fi, etc. Or even somehow tied in with the scooters.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thanks, I am an occasional city cyclist, and I had no idea. I haven't seen a single one with a bike on it. I was thinking it was some sort of art thing meant to publicise something, green hearts, etc. Or it had electronics inside and was for wi-fi, etc. Or even somehow tied in with the scooters.
Exciting times ahead for active transport! I guess you could also tie scooters around it too!

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
City Cycle is to be scrapped next year. It has suffered as a result of the popularity of e-scooters apparently, resulting in only 20% of trips being made compared to before e-scooters arrived. Council plan to roll out 2000 electric bikes though at some point.

·
Registered
79 Posts
^^ Think it all depends whether they will turn the existing citycycle into designated parking zone. Until then it's all up in the air.

Im excited about this:

“A cap on the number of bikes permitted in the CBD will be enforced with contractors required to have a minimum number of e-bikes in the suburbs to help boost the last-mile trips to and from public transport hubs to suburban homes.”

·
Queenslander
334 Posts
Noticed the Lord Alfred Hotel has been sold and under new ownership. Does this mean office redevelopment unlikely now?

·
Registered
350 Posts

"Brisbane City Council will axe its declining CityCycle shared bicycle scheme next year, replacing it with 2000 electric bikes distributed across the inner ring of suburbs and CBD."

The key point is DOCKLESS. I don't know about you folk, but I've been to dockless bike cities, and its an interesting situation. Can become very like litter. E-Bikes might be high enough value thats avoided (last renter on the tab for safe harbour or pay the $cost of replacement)

I used to use the citycycles. I got tired of bad biomechanics and now ride my own bike, it feels better. Ebike rental might be better?

But Dockless.. oh man...

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
It will be dockless too
^^ Not necessarily a good thing... I've come across some terribly parked scooters since they were introduced. As the e-bikes are a larger object, they could be even more of a nuisance if parked poorly.
^^ Think it all depends whether they will turn the existing citycycle into designated parking zone. Until then it's all up in the air.

Im excited about this:

“A cap on the number of bikes permitted in the CBD will be enforced with contractors required to have a minimum number of e-bikes in the suburbs to help boost the last-mile trips to and from public transport hubs to suburban homes.”
I am with Nathan on on this one. Dockeless can end up in tears, as in many examples.from other cities around the world. Maybe being an E bike people may take more pride and not dump them in unsuitable places.

·
Queenslander
334 Posts
I am with Nathan on on this one. Dockeless can end up in tears, as in many examples.from other cities around the world. Maybe being an E bike people may take more pride and not dump them in unsuitable places.
Unlikely, they're better using e-bikes on existing docking stations.

17961 - 17980 of 18070 Posts