Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brisbane Open House 2012​

Join us on Saturday 6 October to discover Brisbane’s hidden treasures as we unlock 50 contemporary, historic, and environmentally significant buildings in the heart of the city, South Bank, Fortitude Valley, Spring Hill and Bowen Hills.

There is the chance to see backstage and behind the scenes of familiar places, the opportunity to see grand and small, views and basements, and many beautiful spaces not often shared with the wider populace.

The following 50 buildings and sites, showcase many great things about our city – its history, its architecture and built form, and the richness of urban life contained within the many and varied components of the city.

Where will you begin your journey?

CITY CENTRAL

Albert Street Uniting Church
All Saints’ Church Wickham Terrace
Arkhefield Studio + Populous Architects
Brisbane City Hall
Brisbane Square
Customs House
Donovan Hill Studio
Lutheran Church of St Andrew the Apostle
MacArthur Museum
Masonic Memorial Temple
Mercy Heritage Centre
National Australia Bank
ONE ONE ONE Eagle Street
Service Reservoirs
St Andrew's Uniting Church
St John's Cathedral
Tattersall's Club
Tara House - Irish Club
Wesley House IV
Windmill
Wintergarden

CITY WEST

Brisbane Supreme & District Court
Conrad Gargett Architecture Studio (400 George Street)
First Church of Christ, Scientist, Brisbane
Kurilpa Bridge
Roma Street Fire Station
Santos Place
Victoria Barracks

CITY EAST

Commissariat Store Museum
National Trust House
Old Government House
Parliament House
Treasury Heritage Hotel

SOUTH BANK

Gallery of Modern Art
Griffith Film School
Queensland Conservatorium Griffith University
Queensland Maritime Museum
Queensland Museum & Sciencentre
Queensland Performing Arts Centre
Somerville House
South Brisbane Town Hall
State Library of Queensland

NORTH

AECOM - North Tower HQ
Green Square (North Tower)
HASSELL Studio
News Queensland Media Centre
Riddel Architecture Studio
St Joseph's College

SUBURBS

Bisley Place House

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
One day again, shame, they were talking about changing it to 2 days last year...so many things to see.

Last year got chatting to the Qld Grand Master of the masons in his office and saw the lovely main chamber, sat in judgement in the courts, saw transport control centre...very interesting. Thanks for the heads up Dime.

·
Registered
17,676 Posts
^^ Really depends on what buildings you're interested in! Personally, its the heritage buildings that you don't often get to see inside that I really love – The Masonic Temple, NAB (308 Queen Street), Tattersalls, and this year the Polo Club are opening up Naldham House which is one I'm definitely looking to check out. You also have your Churches/Cathedrals, Parliament House, Old Government House, etc

On the other hand, you have a decent supply of more modern buildings as well, like 111 Eagle Street, Riverside Centre, ABC, Brisbane Square, Santos and the new courthouse. And there's the cultural centre buildings (QPAC, State Library and the Museum specifically), and pretty well every architectural practice in the city opens their doors, most of which have adapted old buildings from Bakeries to warehouses.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Yeah, the choices can be a bit overwhelming!

I think i'll look at some of the older stone buildings. I really enjoy looking at old stonemasonry. Cathedrals and churches are good for this too.

Although 111 Eagle st seems to have a high quality interior which might be worth checking out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts