SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 3641 Posts

·
Banned
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok because there are all these crappy Melbourne and Sydney threads everywhere, lets make one for Brisbaneites.

How does everyone like BT? I find them OK. The new 109 service seems packed.

What do ya think?

·
Citadis Rider
748 Posts
Too many buses with worn out transmissions, rattly bodies, fuming engines. The SL200s have not aged well, and although I like the Metroliner layout, the construction quality seems poorer and poorer every time I am up there. B10Ls are rubbish, Scanias are underpowered.

I also wish they would stop using 7-segment route numerals, they are not as legible as LEDs from a distance or at night, and combined with the LED displays on the MANs it looks cheap. They need full side destos.

On the plus side - excellent new CNG buses, particularly the MAN CNG buses with 310 hp engines - good power levels, great air con, solidly built. BUZ routes are good, but more are needed, as is more cross-town capacity. Shelters are also good generally.

I would also suggest that their timetables and stop signs should be reformatted into the new TransLink type as they are easier to read.

·
Banned
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They need to modernise some of their bus stops. Some of the shelters have poor lighting, and were probably put there in the 1980's.

By the way, I was in the most shakiest butterbox I'd ever been in yesterday.

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
Ok because there are all these crappy Melbourne and Sydney threads everywhere, lets make one for Brisbaneites.

How does everyone like BT? I find them OK. The new 109 service seems packed.

What do ya think?
From a visitors perspective, it's excellent and cheap compared to its southern counterparts. Very reilable as well. :)

One of my favourite PT networks in Australia. Well done Brisbane

·
Registered
659 Posts
Theres already a TransLink specific thread on this board down the pages somewhere.

·
Registered
435 Posts
BT have been going down the crapper like almost all of the public trans in Brisbane, good article in the Sunday mail highlighting mostly trains, but people who have a train line shouldn't complain, at least they have one, I used to rely on BT everyday until the drivers got crabbier, passengers got annoying and abusive, students take up half the back of the bus, they don't stand for adults, and the drivers do nothing about it, routes are too long (ie not enough rocket or bullet services), getting on par with running a car week to week on costs, still require alot more of those digital signs to tell us if a service has been cancelled or delayed, buses are full of mozzies most mornings, most of them also leak when raining or the A/C overflow leaks inside the cabin, seats on the new buses are far to uncomfortable for more than 30mins, I can go on......

·
Registered
261 Posts
BT have been going down the crapper like almost all of the public trans in Brisbane, good article in the Sunday mail highlighting mostly trains, but people who have a train line shouldn't complain, at least they have one, I used to rely on BT everyday until the drivers got crabbier, passengers got annoying and abusive, students take up half the back of the bus, they don't stand for adults, and the drivers do nothing about it, routes are too long (ie not enough rocket or bullet services), getting on par with running a car week to week on costs, still require alot more of those digital signs to tell us if a service has been cancelled or delayed, buses are full of mozzies most mornings, most of them also leak when raining or the A/C overflow leaks inside the cabin, seats on the new buses are far to uncomfortable for more than 30mins, I can go on......
Students have just as much of a right to sit as adults do. i am sick of people saying all this crap about kids and students, adults have legs too. If there is a pregnant women or elderly person then an adult or child should stand up for them.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Students have just as much of a right to sit as adults do. i am sick of people saying all this crap about kids and students, adults have legs too. If there is a pregnant women or elderly person then an adult or child should stand up for them.
Adults pay more than students and kids, you get what you paid for. The more you pay the more you get. I pay more I wanna a seat !!!!
You kids are lucky these days. Back when I was a kid if we didn;t get up for older people we'd get strapped at school if they found out about it. You kids have it easy these days.

·
Banned
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Adults pay more than students and kids, you get what you paid for. The more you pay the more you get. I pay more I wanna a seat !!!!
You kids are lucky these days. Back when I was a kid if we didn;t get up for older people we'd get strapped at school if they found out about it. You kids have it easy these days.
Well this isn't the old days is it? Its the 21st Century FFS! Equal Rights!

·
QUEENSLANDER!!!
2,518 Posts
^^ its just courtesy to stand for elderly ppl and pregnant women.

just on that topic, i have never wittnessed someone not standing for a pregnant woman or elderly person. i hear of it all the time, yet ive never once seen it. i reckon a few 50 year old woman and 1 month pregnant woman are having a whinge because they reckon they fall into that category

·
Citadis Rider
748 Posts
Well this isn't the old days is it? Its the 21st Century FFS! Equal Rights!
The TransLink conditions of travel do not indicate that it is necessary for school students to stand for non-concession holders. However, there are very clear instructions inside every QR CityTrain carriage and every BT bus that concession holding school students must give up their seats to adults.

Additionally, on every bus and train there are reserved seats wich must be vacated for somebody who is entitled to them (the elderly, disabled or pregnant women) and logically if these are all already occupied, then further seats must be made available.

just on that topic, i have never wittnessed someone not standing for a pregnant woman or elderly person. i hear of it all the time, yet ive never once seen it. i reckon a few 50 year old woman and 1 month pregnant woman are having a whinge because they reckon they fall into that category
Try travelling on the Gold Coast, it is unfortunately very common down here. The main offenders are public high school students and surprisingly a lot of foreign tourists. Sorry to sound rabid and reactionary, but well-behaved people just don't seem to take up seats while elderly people are standing and for the most part the least well-behaved are actually state school students.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Problem I face most days is I don't fall into the pregnant, elderly or disabled category, but I do jave 3 smashed discs in my back from an accident that gets incredibly sore after about 20mins of standing while a bunch of seat hoping high schoolers SMS eachother, and if ou ask for the seat their bag is sitting on they'll make the trip hell...

·
7,950 Posts
I'm glad I travel to and from the city and never have to deal with school students. If I had trouble with them though, I'd give them a mouth full (that sounds so suss though).

Edit: I could change it too ear full which is what it should be, but it's funnier this way.

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
If the student is travelling on a concession then you are wrong...

It's ettique guys. The young ones are always expected to give up their seats to adults and the elderly as part of providing courtesy.

·
Premium Member
8,471 Posts
Brisbane Transport related I guess, cool picture I found on the Qld State Library webpage, probably not worth starting a thread over, so I'll put it here.

Roma Street 1959

1 - 20 of 3641 Posts