SkyscraperCity banner

3561 - 3580 of 3641 Posts

·
6,397 Posts
^^No buses. The thing is that the Airtrain is privately operated commercial entity, so it costs a lot more when you're using either of the airport stations then it does to use the rest of the rail network. But its a hell of a lot cheaper then catching a taxi, and I think the convenience is worth paying a little bit for (you'll just have to change trains once)

·
Registered
547 Posts
Yep. $23.40. TransLink

Not sure about a bus however I'm sure there is. Maybe if you google bus transfer Brisbane Airport Caboolture.

Are you alone or with others?
I'll be on my own. I have dug around a bit further and have found:

1. Walk from domestic to international (1.4km).
2. Catch the free bus which runs every 20 minutes to the DFO outlet.
3. Catch the 308 bus at DFO to Toombul station.
4. Take train to Caboolture.

Costs $7.30. When I get to Caboolture I'll be able to have lunch and a couple of beers using the money I saved on the expesive airport link.

Cheers.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
I thought the airtrain leg from domestic to international was free? Would save you the walk as there are no real footpaths along Airport Drive.

·
Registered
295 Posts
So long as you don't get a very full bus, the Coachtrans bus from the airport to Roma St is $15 and often a lot faster. Especially if you're caught in a "Next AirTrain in 29 minutes" situation.

But don't get on if there's a queue; a lot of weaving about the city's hotels will add tons of extra time to the trip and it won't be worth the bother.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
1. Walk from domestic to international (1.4km).
2. Catch the free bus which runs every 20 minutes to the DFO outlet.
3. Catch the 308 bus at DFO to Toombul station.
4. Take train to Caboolture.
The free bus to the Airport village also departs from the domestic terminal, no need to walk or catch the train.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The bus or train both cost $5 between terminals. The bus is only free if transferring with Virgin.
That is actually outrageous and unique to Australian airports, to charge for terminal transfers. For example bus between Low cost terminal in Singapore and regular terminal for is for free and metro to the city costs 2 Aussie-Dollar

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
is the airport train well patronised with travellers from the airport to the city? If there was 2 or 3 of you, wouldn't a taxi be cheaper than what is basically a standard suburban train.

Fark the most greediest enterprise in this country are airports. They have virtually no competitors so they are allowed to charge anything. The only other option is to spend 10-20 hours on an interstate bus or train

·
Registered
497 Posts
is the airport train well patronised with travellers from the airport to the city? If there was 2 or 3 of you, wouldn't a taxi be cheaper than what is basically a standard suburban train.

Fark the most greediest enterprise in this country are airports. They have virtually no competitors so they are allowed to charge anything. The only other option is to spend 10-20 hours on an interstate bus or train
Mostly couples or solo travelers use it, becuase its cheaper then a taxi, but more than 2 it usually get more expensive. But it does usually get you to the CBD quicker than a taxi. Evry time I see the train at central the train is usually pretty full too. Remember that it is on the Gold Coast line so quite a few people would be catching it down the coast, which I think would be cheaper then a taxi.

But the Airtrain really needs to be taken over by the government/QR cuz the prices to the city are terrible the hours it opperates also have to be extended, since it stops at 7 or somthing and alot of the Intl flights get in around 8/9 and leave about midnight.

·
Moon Transit
1,918 Posts
It can be cheaper if you book the ticket online: $21.06 according to Airtrain's fare calculator
Yes, I saw that online option. Might go with that. Thanks, guys.
You can also take a taxi from the Airport to Toombul station, and take a Caboolture train from there. This is the fastest way, particularly late at night, and generally cheaper than the Airtrain, more so for more than 1 person. I took the taxi once for about $9 but maybe more now. A short trip so be warned that the taxi driver may be a little disgruntled at arrivals so I often just grab one at departures as someone gets out so they avoid the queue. No problems in the other direction.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
We GC'ers ride the trains for free anyway :/. You can get about as far as central, then you tell them you came from Southbank (cheaper fare) - change over to the Shorncliffe line, get off at Toombul/Nundah and catch a cab to the airport. Or just drive from here ;)

·
Registered
295 Posts
are those airport train one way or return fares? Sheez are you Brisbaners happy with that half hour frequency service, considering the price.
No! Half an hour is a VERY VERY long time to wait for that price. Especially if you've just come from using Melbourne's $15 Skybus or Sydney's $14 train. Both of which are faster over longer distances.

·
6,397 Posts
No! Half an hour is a VERY VERY long time to wait for that price. Especially if you've just come from using Melbourne's $15 Skybus or Sydney's $14 train. Both of which are faster over longer distances.
Remember the price we've talking about in this thread is to Caboolture - at the very end of a totally different line. If you compare the cost of a train from the airport into the city it is actually cheaper in Brisbane ($14.50 or $13.05 online) then it is in Sydney ($15). Although its a 15 min freq in Sydney isn't it.

I have no problem paying for the Airtrain when I come to Brisbane (even though I often am going all the way up to Caboolture), I just think of it as (another) small surcharge on my discount airline ticket, rather then a very expensive PT trip.

3561 - 3580 of 3641 Posts