SkyscraperCity banner

701 - 720 of 732 Posts

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
When I was heading back home through the CBD last night (around 8pm) I did notice that all the bars and pubs were going gangbusters. The rest of the place was mostly dead though (with the exception of the Hungry Jacks on the corner and the McDonalds on the other corner, all the fast food joints that were open at that time of night on a Saturday prior to the current mess were not open including the KFC in the MYER Centre which used to be open later hours)
Even the Woolies near Central Station was closed (although I don't know if there were other supermarkets in the area that were open or not)

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
The restaurant thing is weird

It's almost impossible to get a table anywhere at the moment, you absolutely must reserve a spot, and walk-ins are almost impossible.

This is made worse by how many restaurants aren't re-opening/have closed. I'm surprised to be honest, especially given things are pretty much back to normal.

I wonder when there will be more restaurants open, especially since there seems to be an appetite for going out still!

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
The restaurant thing is weird

It's almost impossible to get a table anywhere at the moment, you absolutely must reserve a spot, and walk-ins are almost impossible.

This is made worse by how many restaurants aren't re-opening/have closed. I'm surprised to be honest, especially given things are pretty much back to normal.

I wonder when there will be more restaurants open, especially since there seems to be an appetite for going out still!
Normal?

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
I doubt ANY owner of a restaurant or other dining business would categorize where we are right now as "normal". All of them will be operating with reduced patron numbers (that or they have decided the reduced patron numbers make opening up unviable at this point) and a fair wack of them will be operating under other restrictions (which might be as simple as not being able to have bottles of sauce on the counter or nuts on the bar right through to being unable to open at all because their business is totally incompatible with the current restrictions)

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
That Metro's trading hours are 7am-8pm during the week, and 9am-6pm on weekends.
The Southbank and South Brisbane ones are to 9pm 6 days and until 6pm on Sundays. I guess due to better weekend activation. Those others will reopen until 9pm when domestic tourists start coming back to the city. The one at Tank street should do better when the Roma Street precinct is reactivated. Bit of a mess around there at the moment. People don't go around there unless they need to.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
I suspect the thought from Woolies is that people who genuinely need a supermarket later in the evenings in that part of town can always go to MacArthur Square and the bigger Woolies (which is open all the hours they can legally open)

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
BrisbaneTimes--->Microbrewery bubbles up for West End's Montague Road

West End could house a new microbrewery and pub on Montague Road if a development application lodged with Brisbane City Council this week is approved.

The application is for a microbrewery to be installed at 391-395 Montague Road in an existing two-level commercial building with backing to Tondara Lane and onto Rogers Street.

·
Queenslander
351 Posts
The Communal Bar and Eat House at Brisbane Sq is also closed and out of business.
No great loss. Believe they also operated some of the other places that closed in BS.

^^I didn't see this place reopen at all since the onset of the pandemic. The Bavarian at the Barracks never reopened either.
Barracks still has the mexican place, Chelsea, Pensione that have been closed for years with nice fit outs. Doesn't seem to be much dust inside though?

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
That building is the last place I ever played on a pinball machine (at one point whoever was in there had a The Who Tommy pinball machine and I just couldn't resist spending the couple bucks and having a go due to how big of a Who fan I am :)

·
Registered
16,731 Posts
Looks like the Archdiocese of Brisbane is trying to get an extension on the partial demolition approval for the (Stock) Exchange Hotel (DA A005640553). I had thought this one had already lapsed, but not so due to an automatic extension granted by the Minister to all Development Approvals. This moved the lapsing date from 31 August 2020 to 28 February 2021.

To refresh everyone's memories, this is what they propose to demolish (keep in mind the interior layout of the venue has changed from these plans):

The reasons given for the extension are as follows:

REASONS FOR EXTENSION
A previous extension application was obtained by the Archdiocese of Brisbane and the applicant has since held this land since the last application was lodged. Following the approval of the original development concept in 2017, the applicant has invested significant resources and time into securing development works to be undertaken in accordance with the approval. Unfortunately, due to circumstances outside Archdiocese of Brisbane’s control, being the current state of economic affairs associated with the Covid-19 pandemic, the works were required to be placed on hold. Whilst the applicant is hopeful to progress the works associated with the approval, and the development in the near term, a further extension to the currency period is necessary for the following reasons:

• The previous extension sought three years and was only granted one, which proved to be insufficient in fulfilling conditions of approval prior to works commencing at the site. A further two years is required to ensure the following is undertaken:

o Condition 6 – A need to record all existing heritage fabric on the site;
o Condition 8 – A Structural Engineering Report is required to be compiled; and
o Condition 13 – A Construction Management Plan must be formulated and sent to Council for approval.

This will require a non-standard plan involving works that is to be considerate of the existing heritage building and foundational elements. Retention of all fabric is required and can’t be defined until Condition 6 has been completed. Preparing and obtaining approval for these documents may require a significant amount of time before works can commence. Additional time is also required to undertake the works to ensure that the retention of the heritage fabric and consideration of the associated sensitivities is maintained.

• The Covid-19 pandemic ‘peak’ in Queensland had a significant impact on the economy and accordingly the works were not able to be progressed. The Archdiocese of Brisbane require additional time to undertake the development.

• Fostering economic prosperity is an important aspect of the newly established economic recovery taskforce, which will expand on the raft of COVID-19 measures already established by Council. The proposed development will also play a key role in this economic recovery plan, by creating and sustaining employment through the full life cycle of the project. Notably, the project provides key economic benefits as part of the construction phase. This will drive demand for both labour and building supplies, which generates a net positive economic impact at a time when construction activity is needed.

• The planning policy and intent for the site has not materially changed since the development approval was originally issued.

The existing approved development represents a positive outcome for the site. This extension application is a reasonable and justifiable request, given that it poses minimal planning risk for future development on the site. A two (2) year extension is necessary to provide is necessary to provide sufficient time to fulfil all the conditions of approval.

76 Posts
Looks like the Archdiocese of Brisbane is trying to get an extension on the partial demolition approval for the (Stock) Exchange Hotel (DA A005640553). I had thought this one had already lapsed, but not so due to an automatic extension granted by the Minister to all Development Approvals. This moved the lapsing date from 31 August 2020 to 28 February 2021.

To refresh everyone's memories, this is what they propose to demolish (keep in mind the interior layout of the venue has changed from these plans):

The reasons given for the extension are as follows:

REASONS FOR EXTENSION
A previous extension application was obtained by the Archdiocese of Brisbane and the applicant has since held this land since the last application was lodged. Following the approval of the original development concept in 2017, the applicant has invested significant resources and time into securing development works to be undertaken in accordance with the approval. Unfortunately, due to circumstances outside Archdiocese of Brisbane’s control, being the current state of economic affairs associated with the Covid-19 pandemic, the works were required to be placed on hold. Whilst the applicant is hopeful to progress the works associated with the approval, and the development in the near term, a further extension to the currency period is necessary for the following reasons:

• The previous extension sought three years and was only granted one, which proved to be insufficient in fulfilling conditions of approval prior to works commencing at the site. A further two years is required to ensure the following is undertaken:

o Condition 6 – A need to record all existing heritage fabric on the site;
o Condition 8 – A Structural Engineering Report is required to be compiled; and
o Condition 13 – A Construction Management Plan must be formulated and sent to Council for approval.

This will require a non-standard plan involving works that is to be considerate of the existing heritage building and foundational elements. Retention of all fabric is required and can’t be defined until Condition 6 has been completed. Preparing and obtaining approval for these documents may require a significant amount of time before works can commence. Additional time is also required to undertake the works to ensure that the retention of the heritage fabric and consideration of the associated sensitivities is maintained.

• The Covid-19 pandemic ‘peak’ in Queensland had a significant impact on the economy and accordingly the works were not able to be progressed. The Archdiocese of Brisbane require additional time to undertake the development.

• Fostering economic prosperity is an important aspect of the newly established economic recovery taskforce, which will expand on the raft of COVID-19 measures already established by Council. The proposed development will also play a key role in this economic recovery plan, by creating and sustaining employment through the full life cycle of the project. Notably, the project provides key economic benefits as part of the construction phase. This will drive demand for both labour and building supplies, which generates a net positive economic impact at a time when construction activity is needed.

• The planning policy and intent for the site has not materially changed since the development approval was originally issued.

The existing approved development represents a positive outcome for the site. This extension application is a reasonable and justifiable request, given that it poses minimal planning risk for future development on the site. A two (2) year extension is necessary to provide is necessary to provide sufficient time to fulfil all the conditions of approval.
Typically hypocritical church behaviour, to extend this now that they own it and can make money, considering they objected to it in 2017 before they bought it. C***s.

·
Registered
16,731 Posts
^^ Your guess is as good as mine, as the approval was only for the partial demolition.

The original plan would have been to enlarge the venue, as per the DAs lodged previously that seeked to do just that. However, now that the property is owned by the church, I imagine their plans may be a bit different.

701 - 720 of 732 Posts