Registered
9,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Queensland Sport and Athletics Centre

Main venue of the 1982 Commonwealth Games

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
In my opinion, main venue of any Brisbane Olympics bid, despite what Matt and others might say.
It's possible, just remove the temporary stands, add a proper curved stand at each end.
Refurbish the concourses
Remove the roofs, add a 2nd (temporary) tier at either side (curved in U shape, leaving the cemetery end open).
Add new unobstructed lights.
Add proper public transport access.
And then the overall increased capacity would be like 80,000+ for an Olympics with perhaps a legacy capacity of 50,000+, which could be used as a home for another A-League side or NRL side.

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
^^How about we tear down ALL of the stands, and a brand-new seating bowl completely encircling the track with one big tier, a very small tier, and a ring of luxury boxes. Capacity of the seating bowl would be 75,000.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I suppose, but for an Australian Olympics, you can't go any lower than 80,000 IMO. Considering that Melbourne, the nearest rival is offering a 95,000 seat stadium and heck, even Hobart proposes to build a 100,000 seater.

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^^I'm afraid we can. Hobart cannot build a stadium with that capacity, they can only build a 65,000 capacity extended from a 30,000-capacity stadium used for the Commonwealth Games (which Hobart is gonna have to host first). If any other Australian city had an 80,000-capacity stadium, they are almost liable to be white elephants. What about Perth? They're proposing a 60K+ capacity stadium.

·
Registered
13,108 Posts
Anything less than 80,000 would be a waste as far as I'm concerned. Brisbane could easily do with an 80,000 seat stadium and it would be useful in the future. Let's not forget that come 2024-2026, Brisbane would have about 3 million people and by 2056, 5 million (with another 2-or-so million within an hours drive (I'm going by population predictions which Brisbane still continually outgrows))...

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
What I mean is that any 80,000 seater plus would most definitely sell out during an Olympics. It could be downsized to fit the needs of the city post Olympics.

It's Australia we're talking about not say a country like Azerbaijan (whose bidding city Baku would only need a 65,000 seater stadium as opposed to a 80,000+ seater one). You expect the large capacity Olympic stadiums where you know they're going to sell out, and expect the lower or minimum capacity stadiums at cities that are conservative, don't wish to upgrade an existing stadium that's already of minimum capacity and can host or is looking towards the needs of the city's stadium future.

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^^Australia, like other members of the Commonwealth of Nations, tends to make everything an economy-size with little need for such luxuries as an 80,000 seat stadium, something that the Stadium Australia and the Melbourne Cricket Ground aren't.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Yes, but it would be downsized! I'm just saying that an 80,000 seater plus can easily be sold out during the Olympics. And considering that Melbourne and Sydney had 100,000+ stadiums for their respective Olympics, I'm sure that a city the size of Brisbane could offer at least 80,000, the standard capacity that American bid cities are offering.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Sorry but this stadium will never be used for a future Olympic bid from Brisbane. It is totally antiquated and I imagine any proposed Olympic Park would be closer to the city, maybe even a redeveloped EKKA Show Grounds. Hell the main stand was built in 1974 and the temp stands were supposed to be dismantled after the 1982 Commonwealth Games. This was to be the main stadium in Brisbane's 1992 Olympic bid, look at the beautiful venues Barcalona build and modernised compared to the functional but lacking Chandler Sports Centre, QE2 Stadium and the Brisbane Entertainment Centre.

All that being said this stadium does have a certain appeal to me which I don't know why. I also don't understand the huge gap between the track and the grandstands. the field is over 200m long when it only had to be 186m and the width is over 130m, it could have hosted the Brisbane Bears/Lions before the track was put back in for the Goodwill Games. Would have sucked to watch Rugby League there. I remember watching Brisbane vs Auckland play their on the TV in the mid 90's and they had around 58 000 (awesome for Rugby League) but by the time the Broncos were about to return to Lang Park they were only getting around 18000.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I'm sure Brisbane would have modernised and polished their proposed venues for 1992 had they won. QSAC would have most likely been 60,000 proper seats, and the velodrome would have been increased in capacity etc. It could work, even if the stadium seems a little antiquated.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I disagree about it being a bad place for Rugby League viewing. I was there for the 1994 World Club Challenge that was held between the Broncos and Wigan - for some reason, it was held in June, in the middle of the Winfield Cup season and there were 59000 people there - the atmosphere was electric and it was a great spectacle - the only downside was that Wigan won.

It should never be part of an Olympic bid (even if it is drastically upgraded) - it is just in the wrong location, bound by 2 busy suburban roads and the Griffith University and a cemetery and it's not close enough to mass transit infrastructure and never will be. These days an Olympic stadium needs to have room for other things around it. My suggestion would be to build a new stadium at an expanded Chandler Complex - which is directly adjacent to the Eastern Busway and Gateway Motorway.

You could still use QSAC either for the new Olympic sport, Rugby 7's or as the main arena for Equestrian Show Jumping or as the main arena for Modern Pentathlon or as a training venue for Track & Field competitors. That could be it's swan song before it's sold off and torn down to make way for a housing estate.

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
^^Get it though your thick head, this stadium will be the main stadium for a Brisbane Olympics. Brisbane has no light rail transit system, but if there is one, stations should be at the CBD, the Airport, and this stadium. It WILL be part of an Olympic bid, and we want it to be that way. There is already a warmup track to the west of it. NO new white elephant Olympic Stadium will EVER be built for Brisbane. A large stadium with an athletics track can serve as an Olympic Stadium no matter what its location is, and no matter how antiquidated it is. That's my belief.

And we are NOT tearing this stadium down altogether for a housing estate, either.

·
Canadian eh!
3,483 Posts
This stadium will never see an Olympic event, if Brisbane were to ever host the games, mid 21st century at the earliest! A new stadium would be built. To suggest this facility can be used in any way shape or form is a farce.

What will still be usable by 2050? the grass?

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
^^I'm afraid we can. Hobart cannot build a stadium with that capacity, they can only build a 65,000 capacity extended from a 30,000-capacity stadium used for the Commonwealth Games (which Hobart is gonna have to host first). If any other Australian city had an 80,000-capacity stadium, they are almost liable to be white elephants. What about Perth? They're proposing a 60K+ capacity stadium.
If you do your research you'd be aware that the IOC does not accept anything less than 80k for an Olympic Stadium.

If Brisbane puts forward this "stadium" as apart an an Olympic proposal they are essentially handing the next Australian Olympics to Melbourne.

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
^^No, the IOC does not accept anything less than 60K unless you go economy size. Otherwise, we are required to build white elephants for the Olympics.

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
^^Well, the minimum is gonna have to be cut down. To 60,000. Or the minimum the city can easily afford. A city with three 50-60K stadiums can't afford to build an 80k stadium just for Olympic ceremonies. New facilities Brisbane needs to build, though, are a larger indoor arena than our existing entertainment centre, a rowing basin, and an equestrian centre. You can persuade me to add a stupid white elephant 80K ceremony theatre to the list, but the answer to that is still gonna be NO!.

I already telling you several times that Brisbane and several other cities such as Abuja (which has an existing 60K capacity stadium) canNOT afford an 80k capacity stadium just for the ceremonies. That would be putting up too much weight on a medium-sized Olympic city. And coming up with several excuses for this ain't gonna help.

Also, why was this stadium built near a cemetery, anyway?

·
Melbourne-Sydneysider
375 Posts
^^Well, the minimum is gonna have to be cut down. To 60,000. Or the minimum the city can easily afford. A city with three 50-60K stadiums can't afford to build an 80k stadium just for Olympic ceremonies.
If you want to bid for an Olympics,then thats the bid criteria.If you cannot reach the criteria...dont bid!!!

Or take in account what London are doing.Build an 80,000 seat stadium(Use temporary seating) and decrease the capacity when the games are over.

In most cases,the main stadium will be used also for Track and Field(Except Rio 2016)

As for Brisbane,if they cannot produce an 80,000 seat stadium,then bad luck,they cannot bid.My suggestion for Brisbane is to go the same way as London and use temporary seating to get a stadium big enough for Ceremonies and track and field.

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What is the IOC's major malfunction?! This stadium will be upgraded to at least 65,000, but it can't go beyond that! And you can't force us to do so! There's gonna be new , more economical criteria: Minimum 80000 capacity for the bigger cities, 60-80000 for the medium-sized cities (Brisbane is in that category), and 50000 for the smaller cities (who don't want to end up becoming another Atlanta).

I know YOU (and only the people who think so as well) think that this stadium, even if it's upgraded, cannot meet the capacity criteria. i think it doesn't meet the criteria in it's current form (only). We can upgrade this to 65,000 capacity, even if we have to add a ring or two of luxury boxes around the stadium. I don't know if any stadiums in Australia have any luxury boxes. This is an excellent enough venue for the Olympic Athletics events, and a 60,000 capacity beats those of Lang Park and the Gabba. And Brisbane WILL use this as the athletics venue. And if you think a 65,000 capacity is "insufficient"... and if you can't accept that, then that's your problem.

And what about hosting the IAAF World Athletics Championships?

1 - 20 of 78 Posts