Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Former Member
1,227 Posts
Here are some pics of the 160s. Railpictures.net has heaps of them...

And a few from buspicsqld.com.

And some taken by SM247 (hope you don't mind), posted over at busaustralia.com forums.

I have to say I'm not a fan of the Citytrain decal that's been installed across the front of the trains recently. At first the new sets had a big fat QR logo slapped on the front and nothing else...

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Thanks for that, great pics!!! Can't wait to ride on one eventually. Do you know how many came into service recently?

I know the news said there were to be 44 new 3-car sets, of which 22 dedicated to gold and sunny coast lines and rolled out over the next few years.

This effectively means there will be 22 new 6-car sets, 11 of which dedicated to gold and sunny coast lines.

Does this mean that across the entire network there will be 2 or 3 extra services on each line?

By the look of those pics, there is 162,164,166, 161 and one with 162 on the front window but not sure if its the same train.

·
Former Member
1,227 Posts
Thanks for that, great pics!!! Can't wait to ride on one eventually. Do you know how many came into service recently?

I know the news said there were to be 44 new 3-car sets, of which 22 dedicated to gold and sunny coast lines and rolled out over the next few years.

This effectively means there will be 22 new 6-car sets, 11 of which dedicated to gold and sunny coast lines.

Does this mean that across the entire network there will be 2 or 3 extra services on each line?

By the look of those pics, there is 162,164,166, 161 and one with 162 on the front window but not sure if its the same train.
Re 162, what's happened is that they've changed the decals on the front of the train from this...

to this

It is the same train.

And while this is an order for 44 sets, there is another order to come after that IIRC. So it's a pretty big contract. And when I was searching for those pictures on Google, I came across a Railpage post which stated that they're up to set 171 now. 171 is a work in progress, but 170 and below are mostly completed.

What annoys me is the fact that after spending all of this money, only a handful of extra services will be delivered across the network. If they ran shorter trains more frequently (which would spread the load of passengers across more services rather than packing 'em into a 6 car set), and hired casual drivers, we could have a massive increase in services. A massive increase in patronage would follow that too, just look at the BUZ bus routes as an example.

Trent.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
^^ Thanks Trent :)

As always I agree with your sentiments. Maybe we should call HR at QR and ask if they have plans to hire casual drivers with all these extra trains.

·
Registered
659 Posts
According to past newspaper articles, 22 IMUs will be shared by Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast commuters. (16 IMUs 8 SMUs in the first order).

I'm not sure about the second order as newspapers seem to be unreliable but if that is the case the second lot would seem to form as (14 SMUs and 6 IMUs).

Its confirmed that the second order comprises of 20x 3-car MUs. But I have read through other sources that it is actually (16 IMUs and 4 SMUs) in the second order. I guess it's a wait and see on the second lot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts