Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all skyscraper forumers,

I am currently working on a uni project situated on the brisbane river and was wondering what is the minimum height clearance for any bridge structure to allow any boat access? Something like the boat clearance travel corridor.

Your comment is much appreciated

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
^ I don't know about Brisbane specifically but I have seen similar info for Melbourne when i was lokoing around on the net. I think it was published by Parks Victoria or the DSE or someone, so I assume it would also be available from what either the equivalent QLD department is. I remember it specified clearances at high/low tides, river depths, etc...

Try searching on the net because I assume this sort of info would have to publicly accessable quite freely because the public have access to the river. They have to be able to know what height boat will fit.

As for a minimum height for building a new bridge, I don't know. There might not be any formal guidelines because people don't go around building bridges everyday. Probably have consult with the government. I'd assume if there is already a bridge X metres high downstream from where you want to put one, then it's probably fine to build at, or above, that same height.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Are you at QUT doing BEB100 by any chance? I did a project on the river crossing proposed for the alice street -> kangaroo point.

The clearance height gets smaller as you get down stream. Has to be 55m i think at the gateway down to ~14m (from memory) by the time you get to the city.

·
449 Posts
I remember that I had to answer this question for a bridge project we were doing at work back in 2001. I ended up calling the Brisbane Harbour Master (found in the phone book). He faxed me through all of the bridge clearance heights and gave me info on minimum heights. I would recommend giving him a call.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
currently doing architecture 5th year, and our site is the air space above the freeway in front of brisbane square. Where the cbd masterplan suggest some kind of plaza space. So i guess if people are interested in what architecture students are up to these days you could go to QUT J block on the 6th june and have a look at what opportunities are possible. probably something fantastic than all the ordinary outputs we are seeing these days.

·
#pantherpride
1,562 Posts
A few I took when I was up there in January this year... hope this helps in at least giving you an idea (sorry, I couldn't get the html code working to get the pics up, so it's links instead):

http://home.graffiti.net/roofromoz:brisbane_cbd04.JPG

Looking across to the CBD from Southbank - Victoria Bridge is to the left.

http://home.graffiti.net/roofromoz:brisbane_cbd07.JPG

Looking north west up Pacific Motorway (yes, it's on the river!), and William Jolly Bridge is in the distant left.

http://home.graffiti.net/roofromoz:brisbane_cbd10.JPG

Directly under the Storey Bridge at Kangaroo Point.

·
#pantherpride
1,562 Posts
Fixed them - apparently the url was wrong! Here we go again...

Looking across to the CBD from Southbank - Victoria Bridge is to the left.

Looking north west up Pacific Motorway (yes, it's on the river!), and William Jolly Bridge is in the distant left.

Directly under the Storey Bridge at Kangaroo Point.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts