SkyscraperCity banner

3621 - 3640 of 3716 Posts

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Put it on ignore to leatherface. It's a blood translated bot and terrific halloween
I mean people would be saying and i said shut up because they're think 90 seconds wrong.
Also people could be enough is enough traffic jam they're want motorway one days.

·
24,290 Posts
Induced demands is not debunked in the slightest. Not even close.

Oh, and it's also a thing for other modes as well. Increased PT frequency induces PT trips. A connected and separated cycle network indices cycle trips. Wider roads induces car trips.

·
7,961 Posts
Induced demand is overrated and is debunked by numerous studies. The vast majority of increased traffic to new roadways is diverted traffic from other roads ie. Traffic diverts from other roads onto newly improved roads. It's not 'new' traffic at such, or from other modes like PT.

What you actually advocate is forcing people onto PT by restricting or reducing road capacity in a growing population scenario. That's actually inducing demand.
That's just a straight out lie regarding induced demand. It's a proven fact that increased road capacity encourages further demand by road users.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
That's just a straight out lie regarding induced demand. It's a proven fact that increased road capacity encourages further demand by road users.
It's a theory not a proven fact.

I really don't appreciate being called a liar.

Check your definitions. Even the theory of supply and demand, which induced demand is based on, is still a THEORY. It's even called the theory of supply and demand. The clue is in the name.

So please educate yourself before making incorrect accusations.

BTW I have an economics degree so I'm well aware of what theories are.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Induced demands is not debunked in the slightest. Not even close.

Oh, and it's also a thing for other modes as well. Increased PT frequency induces PT trips. A connected and separated cycle network indices cycle trips. Wider roads induces car trips.
You clearly only read one side of the debate on this theory.

·
24,290 Posts
The Katy Freeway is a great case study. It was widened to be the widest freeway in the world, and travel times increased.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Building a hospital also encourages people to visit that hospital and yet 'induced demand' is a stupid argument against building hospitals.

Voters want more road space, the government is delivering, what's the problem.

·
24,290 Posts
I never said induced demand was always bad. Heck, I even said induced demand is a thing for active and public transport also.

Of course induced demand is a stupid argument against building hospitals, I would argue however that's more latent demand than induced demand. Very different concepts.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Building a hospital also encourages people to visit that hospital and yet 'induced demand' is a stupid argument against building hospitals.

Voters want more road space, the government is delivering, what's the problem.
Because there are more efficient ways to move people.
Do you know a more efficient way to treat people's medical conditions. No!

·
Registered
325 Posts
only issue i can see is that people going westbound onto moggile from coonan street might not have a lot of sight range to see oncoming traffic due to the overpass embankment, meaning flow wouldn't be great (eg everyone can't see until the last carspot or 2 so would be slowing down a lot regardless) but i can see why they wouldnt want to move it to close to the next interesction either

3621 - 3640 of 3716 Posts