Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could not find a very appropriate place for this, so thought I would start a thread.

Just wondering if anyone knows much about the Brisbane Smart Card, there are machines at train stations and some readers on buses, but nothing seems to be happening. It has said "Coming Soon" for a very long time. Moreover, if/once it is implemented how will it work?

·
26,705 Posts
From what I understand...you buy the card which you will essentially keep forever. You'll then have an account which you can top up over the internet, phone or at manned railway stations (I think).
When you get on and off public transport, you swipe your card and it'll figure out the cheapest fare.

Don't know how concession rates will work.

·
D grade celebrity
1,195 Posts
I emailed translink asking for more information. The reply they sent back provided heaps of information - not.

The reply was "Coming soon"

·
Registered
304 Posts
KJBrissy said:
Don't know how concession rates will work.
Concessions would have to buy the card especially for concessions from what I've experienced overseas.

If only Cityrail in Sydney would ditch the magnetic stripped cards!!

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
sydney was the first to start planning the system - but choose a more complex system provided by ERG (probably the biggest mistake choosing ERG)- however they are the developers of the Hong Kong, Rome, Singapore and San Fran system (erg is perth based)
while brisbane choose the simpler version provided by US Cubic and will get it a lot faster than sydney

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
From Wikipedia:

Ticketing improvements

In relation to ticketing improvements, the current paper-based ticketing system will be enhanced by the availability of a Cubic smartcard system to speed up boarding times. Passengers will no longer need to carry cash with them. The current range of ticketing products will still be available concurrently, at least for the foreseeable future.

In 2006, a smartcard trial will begin on bus services in Redcliffe and the system will be perfected and implemented across the rest of the network. More than 2,000 ticket gates and validators will be installed across the network over the next 2 years. Passengers will be able to simply "tag on" and "tag off", and the ticket gate will automatically calculate and deduct the correct fare from the smartcard. The installation of ticket gates will mean that for the first time in South-East Queensland, all tickets will be automatically checked and processed at all stations, which has the potential to lower fare evasion and speed up boarding times. At present, tickets are checked manually by inspectors at major inner-city railway stations in Brisbane, occasionally at other important stations such as Robina, and by bus drivers and roving ticket inspectors.

It is envisaged that TransLink smartcards will also be able to be used to purchase small items such as drinks and snacks from station vending machines. A smartcard-based driver's licence will be implemented in Queensland in 2007 that will also be able to store TransLink fare credits. However, if a passenger wants to use these credits, they will need to transfer them to their TransLink smartcard. This will be the case so that all passengers remain anonymous on the TransLink network to prevent stalking (since the gates will log every journey made by a user) and identity theft.

New ticket vending machines, static smartcard readers and barriers are being rolled out across the rail network and smartcard readers fixed to some buses. The TVM's are touch-screen models and can accept notes, coins and ATM cards. They dispense smartcards and paper tickets, but are not yet operational.

Shame there is nothing about a start date.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Ahh cool, my usual journeys go from cleveland(z6) -> buranda(z2) -> griffith university busway (z3) -> griffith university - the circuit (z3); this ticket system better not charge me for my trips from buranda to the circuit! :p

·
New Citrus Fresh scent
216 Posts
The new ticket/smart card machine at Central was switched on and looked like it was working on Friday, some people were even using it. Can't be long now...

·
26,705 Posts
^^I wish they had put in the barricades at central like they have at Roma Street and South Brisbane. It would have made ticket inspecting so much easier.

·
D grade celebrity
1,195 Posts
KJBrissy said:
^^I wish they had put in the barricades at central like they have at Roma Street and South Brisbane. It would have made ticket inspecting so much easier.

I was told this cannot happen as there is not enough floor space to put in enough gantries for people to pass through, as it would result in a backlog of people.

I think that is c***, as they have the space next to the existing manual ticket booth that has never been opened.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The machine in Central is on, but you still can't get the cards, I'm assuming this is because the other stations don't have theirs operational yet...

·
Registered
763 Posts
Anything is better than the current 10-trip tickets for buses here. I traded in 2 faulty ones today and had enough trips on each for 1 whole new 10-tripper, which then read "Bad read" on the first go. The good news is how many free bus fares I scored out of this from BCC bus drivers and citycat ticket operators.

·
16,522 Posts
We got those fair gates and readers in perth in 2004 however there still has not been a full rollout. In other words, don't hold ya breath...

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Dilaz89 said:
We got those fair gates and readers in perth in 2004 however there still has not been a full rollout. In other words, don't hold ya breath...
interesting thing is that CUBIC are known around the world for their very fast roll out of projects......wish we could say the same thing about ERG (company doing the sydney system)

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Hong Kong, Singapore, San Fran, Rome and sydney will be/have been done by Perth based ERG - great technology (the best in the world) but very bad management running the company

Brisbane will be completed by ERG's biggest competitor - CUBIC based in the USA - cheaper technology - but the contract will be delivered on time and to exact specifications

1 - 20 of 106 Posts