Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
1,298 Posts
Based on the 8th photo, there looks to be a fair few people waiting. Has a 15minute off-peak frequency ever been proposed for Brisbane?

And, even perhaps Brisbane Transport should stop being rivals with QR and design its bus services to meet QR's trains, like what happens in Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth. But that won't ever happen in QLD. Imagine how much extra patronage that'd bring in.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Based on the 8th photo, there looks to be a fair few people waiting. Has a 15minute off-peak frequency ever been proposed for Brisbane?

And, even perhaps Brisbane Transport should stop being rivals with QR and design its bus services to meet QR's trains, like what happens in Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth. But that won't ever happen in QLD. Imagine how much extra patronage that'd bring in.
15 min off-peak frequencies are currently only in place in the inner city and the Ipswich Line atm.

While I'll agree that QR/TransLink needs to look at expanding off-peak frequencies outside its current areas, there are the costs, staffing issues and so forth to go through. Also, DDA requirements + low platforms would be an issue if DOO (Driver Only Operation) is brought up.

While the Queensland Government has got it right on bringing integrated ticketing, with one ticket across all modes (which meant bringing QR, Brisbane Transport + South East Qld Bus operators under the one TransLink banner). I have to agree connections in Brisbane between Bus and Train are very poor, esp between BT and QR.

But the outer suburbs/Gold Coast/Sunshine Coast already had bus/rail integrated connections in place prior to the introduction of integrated TransLink ticketing in 2003. This arrangement still continues today, but under TransLink.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Is it the way the camera shot is, or are the height of the station platforms really low. If thats the case I didnt realise how 'low floor' the narrow gauge trains are! I'm only used to Adl and Melb

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Many platforms in Brisbane are lower than what you'd expect in Victoria and SA because narrow gauge originally had a smaller loading gauge.
New stations in QLD are built level to the train doors - however many of the pre-electrification stations have a substantial height difference, which is why you may notice a footplate (step) on some trains.

I like the first generation SMUs, it is such a shame graffiti and vandalism is so prevelant on the Citytrain fleet.

·
Banned
1,298 Posts
"Brisbane Trains on a sunday pics" - did you have to wait, like, an hour between trains? ROFL
They run every 30 minutes on all CityTrain lines except the "Sunshine Coast" (not) line ;).

Your thinking of TransAdelaide trains for waiting an hour ;)

·
Registered
659 Posts
They run every 30 minutes on all CityTrain lines except the "Sunshine Coast" (not) line ;).

Your thinking of TransAdelaide trains for waiting an hour ;)
Incorrect.

-Ipswich line (to Corinda) is every 15 mins off-peak on weekdays.
-Doomben line is only hourly. It doesnt even operate on Sundays.
-Rosewood line is only hourly in a form of a Ipswich-Rosewood shuttle.
-Tennyson line is school hours only.

Inner-city stations is every 15 minutes in off-peak & weekends. This is formed by the multiple lines.

·
Banned
1,298 Posts
-Doomben line is only hourly. It doesnt even operate on Sundays.
-Rosewood line is only hourly in a form of a Ipswich-Rosewood shuttle.
-Tennyson line is school hours only.
How many people actually use these services, especially Doomben and Tennyson? Doomben kinda reminds me of Adelaide's Tonsley line, being an isolated few stations, although at least Tonsley has the potential to go somewhere useful..

·
Premium Member
9,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have caught trains a few times to and from the Saturday races and they are packed. Not sure about the rest of the time. Tennyson is a funny station, sort of stuck on its own line, which I think is mostly a frieght line.

·
Citadis Rider
748 Posts
I'm always astonished by how narrow Platforms 1 & 2 are at Taringa whenever I pass through or catch trains to and from there to see friends.

·
QUEENSLANDER!!!
2,568 Posts
How many people actually use these services, especially Doomben and Tennyson? Doomben kinda reminds me of Adelaide's Tonsley line, being an isolated few stations, although at least Tonsley has the potential to go somewhere useful..

the doomben line i believe is only spared from death due to the races. trains are packed for these events. as for general passenger services, it has very little passenger numbers as there are only 4 stations located within an upper class area, with infrequent services which also competes with good bus services that take less than 15min to get to the city. it has been proposed out there somewhere that the doomben line should be extended to the new portside wharf and subsequent 10,000 ppl urban village. this would obviously have to be elevated above kingsford smith dr. the idea seems good but i wonder how much this would compete with buses on KS Dr seen as though buses take a direct route and trains go north to go south on the doomben line.

i have no idea why the tennyson station exists. the tennyson line i thought was really only for rail marshalling and connection between lines for deadrunning trains. it will hopefully serve a purpose however when the tennyson tennis centre opens.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts