Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Its a sleepy little town
3,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.thecouriermail.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,12694322%5E3102,00.html

City urged to make another run for titles
Paul Malone
30mar05
BRISBANE has been encouraged to bid again for the world athletics championships by Australia's International Olympic Committee vice-president Kevan Gosper.

Queensland Events chief executive Michael Denton said the city's involvement in a bid for the next available world athletics championships, in 2011, was "still under consideration".

Australia is facing a dearth of international sporting events after next year's Melbourne Commonwealth Games, having hosted the 2000 Sydney Olympics and 2003 Rugby World Cup.

A Brisbane bid to the International Association of Athletics Federations for the 2009 world titles was withdrawn last year, with the association saying last July that Brisbane's bid team had indicated it would return to bid for "future editions of the event".

The world championships to be held in Helsinki, Finland, this August has been touted as the biggest sporting event in the world in 2005 and the week-long meet is to be telecast to more than 180 countries.

IOC president Jacques Rogge, Mr Gosper and other IOC insiders will attend a Brisbane meeting of the Oceania National Olympics Committees to be opened on Friday by Premier Peter Beattie.

"Australia is always welcome to bid for world championships in many sports and Brisbane has a reputation for staging big events, from world expositions through to big sporting events," Mr Gosper, a 1956 Olympics athletics silver medallist, said.

The Queensland Government, which operates Queensland Events as a corporation within the portfolio of the Premier, would have to consider the budget needed to run the event before endorsing a bid application.

Berlin's 2009 staging of the titles have a declared budget of $49.8 million ($83.3 million) , with the Berlin organising committee paying travel and accommodation costs for all participating athletes.

"It's very important a bid has the support of Athletics Australia, which is going through a challenging period where we went through a bit of a decline at the Athens Olympic Games," Mr Gosper said.

Mr Beattie will host a welcome function for Mr Rogge and other Olympic officials at Parliament House tomorrow.

Mr Gosper said he doubted whether he would live to see Australia stage another Olympics and that any country, with the exception of the US, "would be very lucky" to host two Olympics within a 30-year span in future.

"We are fortunate to stage two Olympic Games within 50 years and to get a Commonwealth Games and a Rugby World Cup, as well as the Grand Prix and Indy races we have every year," he said.

"But overseas they know we understand our sport and our crowds are generally viewed as being reasonably impartial and can recognise the opposition as well as our own team."

·
Its a sleepy little town
3,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lolol sorry there nikko.

Yes its all good. Very good to get all of these under our belt. Eventually will get the Olympics.. and after hosting so many other things there will be enough experience.

I dont know the exact list..

World Expo, Commonwealth Games, Goodwill Games, Rugby World Cup (Matches)...

I honestly dont know lol. But its still good to keep stacking them up

·
Like whatever....
9,177 Posts
Malt said:
lolol sorry there nikko.

Yes its all good. Very good to get all of these under our belt. Eventually will get the Olympics.. and after hosting so many other things there will be enough experience.

I dont know the exact list..

World Expo, Commonwealth Games, Goodwill Games, Rugby World Cup (Matches)...

I honestly dont know lol. But its still good to keep stacking them up
Don't forget all the olympics soccer matches - more than any city outside Sydney!!

Not a sports person (except for AFL) I really couldn't care less if Brisbane hosted an important sports event or not. I usually don't know anyway.
But it is good for the economy and if it was to spur some kind of construction event it would be great.

jt

1 - 5 of 5 Posts