Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Mainland Sea & Sky
6,242 Posts
The city looks very quiet and clean , and nice shots , thanks for sharing !

·
Registered Abuser
2,904 Posts
Nice work. It's good to see another side of Brizzy. I'm guessing this place is pumping at night.

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
I love the valley. It's my favourite part of inner Brisbane, and I have stayed in the area while visiting the city (Medina as featured the second shot).

I took some shots last year, and I should post some of them in this thread (If Aussie doesnt mind).

Nice work. It's good to see another side of Brizzy. I'm guessing this place is pumping at night.
The Valley always comes to life at night. I have been in the area at night, and there are always long queues to access nightclubs and bars in the area.

I remember one club having a queue 100 metres long from it's door and it wasn't even 8pm.

Lots of good places to eat. I remember enjoying a pizza and XXXX in the Brunswick St mall on my first trip there.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I'm still yet to find anywhere else in Australia that is as busy as this place on a Friday or Saturday night.

HUGE. How many clubs are there now? I heard another 3 have opened in the past year (with one of them easily the largest in the country).

·
Premium Member
9,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I took some shots last year, and I should post some of them in this thread (If Aussie doesnt mind).
Put them on, I never mind anyone adding to a thread with other pictures.

I hope one day they remove that Chinatown carpark, the lane running through the mall for it totally ruins the concept. The new TC Bierne building arcade looks like it could have potential to improve the area.

When I was a kid (70/80's) the Valley was so different with major department stores and shops such as Waltons, Myers, Target, Woolworths and Coles. I guess the big suburban shoping malls such as Carindale, etc, etc took all the shoppers away. One of my first ever paying jobs was during the school holidays at Myers in the McWhirters building.

·
Registered
8,590 Posts
There really is no other place in Oz quite like The Valley (watch a City vs City forumer whirl in and denounce that).

When I visited Brisbane for the 2nd time only a few years ago, I found myself winding up there almost every day because the eats, them be good. The clubs 'n pubs were worthy enough too, although I preferred the quieter ones in Spring Hill which is my fave inner-city Brisbane area.

I came up with a new word for the night-verve of The Valley, which I still share with forumer isoboy - "raucosity" :lol:, because @ night it is raucous!

Thanks always Aussie Bhoy :)

·
40,696 Posts
This is what I managed to take in the valley on my first trip to Brisbane in Feburary 2006. I didn't have enough time to explore it in full though, and very hot (not good for walking) hence it is not as well covered as it should be. At the time, I have to admit I didn't understand how big the area is. I had been told it was a pretty noutirous area, and had to exercise caution, especially at night

The second time (with uni), I was bussed around the area at night, on the way to a social night at the Brisbane Powerhouse.

Now that I'm a bit more familar with the area I should cover better next time.

From level 6 of the Medina Executive

·
Registered
733 Posts
Nice pictures all round. I agree that of a Friday and Saturday night it is probably the busiest night club district anywhere. It would be great to see some night pictures of this area.

The Emporium block at the northern end is nearly complete with the last building well under construction and the Emporium Hotel about to open. It has a pretty funky looking lobby area.

·
40,696 Posts
I wouldn't say it's overrated. I think it's underrated to an extent, especially in Sydney. They won't know how good the precient is until they visit the city.

In my visits to Brisbane, I could not believe how popular the area was and seeing the long lines to enter clubs. I don't see those queues in Sydney, and that suggests the popularity of the area.

Many youngsters (even friends of mine) here in Sydney think Brisbane is 'boring' and would opt for the Gold Coast. No way they will be bored when they come to visit this part of town.

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
Where else are there nightclubs in Brisbane?

What other inner suburbs are great to head out to?

Is there different types of nightclubs in particular areas? Styles etc that perhaps are typical of a suburb?

·
Registered
683 Posts
I wouldn't say it's overrated. I think it's underrated to an extent, especially in Sydney. They won't know how good the precient is until they visit the city.

In my visits to Brisbane, I could not believe how popular the area was and seeing the long lines to enter clubs. I don't see those queues in Sydney, and that suggests the popularity of the area.

Many youngsters (even friends of mine) here in Sydney think Brisbane is 'boring' and would opt for the Gold Coast. No way they will be bored when they come to visit this part of town.
I wasn't saying it wasn't any good, I quite enjoyed it.

It is very busy which is good but the quality of the clubs is quite underwhelming.

That's why I think it's over-rated.

·
26,590 Posts

Is there different types of nightclubs in particular areas? Styles etc that perhaps are typical of a suburb?
The city and Toowong have more of you're pub/clubs, the Valley a bit of everything but mostly your 'normal' clubs, caxton street and those type of areas have more of your loungy clubs. Other than that it is basically just a random pub.

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
Okay

When did you go? I think 2 more serious clubs have opened in the last year (Metro & ?) and at least another 2 will be opening this year - perhaps they might be up to scratch

·
7,976 Posts

Valley: Mixture of big dance clubs/lounge bars/pubs/beer gardens/gay bars/concert venues/very alternative vibe

City: More typical pubs/mainstream music clubs/more "suits"/more spreadout

Caxton St: Lounger bars/live music/pubs/small and compact

West End: More alternative like the Valley/only a few bars and pubs/tons of cafes and restaurants

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
^^ There is also one place on Oxford St at Bulimba, and a few pubs around the gabba like the 'Chalk', and then there's the Normanby.

There is always Gold Coast nightlife, Sunshine Coast and Ipswich, all less than an hour away.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts