SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2,187 Posts
Regarding Peter's longform article, it's interesting to read that the Horsefair from Debenhams towards Cabot Circus, where Callowhill Court will hopefully rise, was designed by a different architect and built in the '60's rather than '50s. Always felt that this Eastern side lacked the architectural merits (and variety) of the Western part (Marks and Spencer etc). Now I know why.

· Registered
2,187 Posts
I'm worried about the future of shops generally, and in particular I'm concerned that, sans Debenhams, parts of Broadmead will be allowed to sink into dereliction. This video got me wondering. Does anyone know if continental Europe and Ireland are dealing with the same problems? What can be done to maintain life in areas like Broadmead and high streets across the country? I sense that we need a council that will be prepared to be bold and take drastic action to avert a major catastrophe for our urban infrastructure . . . any ideas?

To make matters worse, cities have seemingly become reliant on students, not least international students, leading to a plethora of inferior living quarters built on the cheap, which, if the (international) student population dries up, will be converted into distinctly inferior private rental units.

Bold thinking is needed . . .

(BTW what happened to Delirium? Hope he's okay . . . ).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.