Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Development: Colston Hall foyer
Value: £20m
Developer: Bristol City Council
Architects: Levitt Bernstein
Completion: 2009

Providing much needed circulation space and new bars, the foyer also provides room for small scale musical events. Intended to be followed by further projects to enhance the auditorium and backstage areas.

Development: M Shed
Value: £27m
Developer: Bristol City Council
Architects: LAB architects
Completion: 2011

A replacement for Bristol's Industrial Museum, M Shed tells the story of Bristol and its people. Expected to draw 250,000 visitors per annum, it drew over 700,000 visitors in its first year.

Development: County Ground
Value: £10m
Developer: GCCC
Architects: Arturus
Completion: 2014

The cricket club need to upgrade the ground to retain international fixtures. The construction of 147 flats by Linden Homes will fund permanent seating for 7,500 spectators, expandable to 17,000 with temporary stands. Planning permission gained in 2012.

Development: Ashton Vale Stadium
Value: £92m ?
Developer: BCFC
Architects: HOK

A 30,000 capacity stadium with the ability to be expanded to 42,000. Planning permission gained in 2009, but project stalled by an ongoing wrangle over the status of the Ashton Vale site. At present it appears that a second public enquiry will need to be held, over an application for the site to be a Town Green.

Development: UWE Stadium
Value: £40m
Developer: BRFC
Architects: Arturus

A 21,700 capacity stadium expandable to 26,000 without major structural alteration. It will rely on BCC giving planning permission for Sainsbury's to build a supermarket on the site of Bristol Rovers' present ground, the Memorial Stadium, as this sale will provide the funding for the new stadium. South Glos. council are due to decide on the UWE Stadium application on 19th July 2012. Approval for both schemes should allow the stadium to be finished in 2014.

·
20,547 Posts
One city that so needs an indoor arena. I wish this region would get its act together when it comes to actually building better sporting venues, 'cause the South West is losing out massively to other regions.

·
Bristol
505 Posts
One city that so needs an indoor arena. I wish this region would get its act together when it comes to actually building better sporting venues, 'cause the South West is losing out massively to other regions.
I couldn't agree with you more. Bristol and the West Country have so many attributes, high average earners, strong private sector including financial and legal services but completely falls down when it comes to regional sporting facilities. Having said that, there are now a number of projects listed above by Geoff, which if completed, will greatly boost the South West's offering.

I found this time lapse on the BBC website showing the redevelopment of the Bristol Old Vic, which is due to open in September. Total value is £19 million and this is the first stage.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Sorry to disappoint you - that's an old story. After it was withdrawn, a judge gave permission for someone else to take it over.

What's now happened is that the Council have stopped fighting this - meaning that that whole process has stopped. Instead, they've agreed to a brand new public inquiry which will include the 'new' evidence that BCFC didn't supply in the original inquiry and which was what the council used to try and justify their decision to split the site so that only the southern portion was going to be designated a town green - which was against what the independent inquiry inspector said.

·
Sexy Astronaut
11,813 Posts
Not a development but pretty significant, nice to see the festival return:

Bristol street to be graffitied for London 2012 event

Dozens of street artists will again be painting Bristol's city centre as part of a London 2012 Festival event.

See No Evil has invited "30 of the world's most prolific street artists" to paint Nelson Street in August. Last year projectors were brought in to help artists create graffiti on buildings up to 10 storeys high.

Ruth Mackenzie, from London 2012 Festival, said it was a "great example" of how the festival was "bringing world class arts to people - for free".

The project was launched last year as a collaboration between Bristol street artist Inkie and music promoters Team Love. This year the artists are being curated by Inkie and the event has the support of the Arts Council, London 2012 Festival and the city council.

Organiser Mike Bennett said the unique event was "designed to showcase the talent in the world of urban art and music".

"The pieces created over the week will create a legacy from the project and a destination for urban art fans from all over the world," he said.

"There are going to be some massive names from the world of graffiti involved this year, we're really excited to welcome them."

The week long festival will also include a series of music events and culminate in a free New York style block party on Nelson Street over the weekend.

A unique installation, created by 3D Projection experts, will open the weekend's music in the Passenger Shed in Temple Meads.

See No Evil, which runs from 13 to 19 August, is part of the London 2012 Festival - a summer-long arts festival throughout the country to celebrate the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-18677458

·
Bristol
505 Posts
Great news for BRFC from BBC website today.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Bristol Rovers new stadium plans are recommended to be approved.

Proposals for a 21,700-seater Bristol Rovers football stadium have been recommended for approval.

Plans for the scheme on land next to the University of the West of England will be considered by South Gloucestershire Council on 19 July.

The development at Stoke Gifford has been recommended for approval subject to certain conditions.

If it goes ahead the scheme would also include a club shop, bar, offices and a 1,000 space car park.

Conditions attached to the plans include a restriction on the number of open air music concerts allowed at the stadium to three a year.

Developers have pledged to spend £140,000 on new traffic measures and resident parking zones.

Other conditions include the installation of CCTV in the area and a proviso that hedgehogs on the site should be safeguarded

·
20,547 Posts
Doesn't surprise me. Never thought BRFC would have an issue with that part, but it's the redevelopment of the old ground that is also key. Any news on that?

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
South Glos planners vote 11-1 in favour of the proposed UWE stadium. Now Bristol Rovers will be hoping that Bristol City Council give approval for Sainsbury's to redevelop the Memorial Stadium at a meeting due sometime in September.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Thanks for the info & new render. So 4k extra for an extra tier on three sides... wow...that is tiny. Something like an extra 6 rows judging by the diagram.
Although Rovers have fallen on hard times of late, and their attendances reflect that, the potential is certainly there. I'm just surprised they didn't integrate a slightly bigger expansion option such as at mk dons.

·
20,547 Posts
The rumour that I heard is any further expansion would involve adding another tier to the main stand, which would take the capacity to around 35,000. I'll be amazed if Rovers need to expand beyond 26,000, though.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the info & new render. So 4k extra for an extra tier on three sides... wow...that is tiny. Something like an extra 6 rows judging by the diagram.
Although Rovers have fallen on hard times of late, and their attendances reflect that, the potential is certainly there. I'm just surprised they didn't integrate a slightly bigger expansion option such as at mk dons.
At the risk of being pedantic, I think it's five rows at the ends and eleven rows along the side. The extra 4,300 can be added without structural alteration, whereas as RMB2007 alludes to, the design allows the capacity to be increased to 35,000. That would require the removal and replacement of the roof. Unlikely to be a pressing problem though, unfortunately.

·
Registered
543 Posts
That sounds plausible, geoff. Would presumably be added to all stands BUT the main stand I'd imagine.
Talking of which, a future expansion involving a new tier holding 9k seems far fetched to me. Would be completely lopsided. 4-5k seems more likely.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
That sounds plausible, geoff. Would presumably be added to all stands BUT the main stand I'd imagine.
Talking of which, a future expansion involving a new tier holding 9k seems far fetched to me. Would be completely lopsided. 4-5k seems more likely.
Yes, you're right, there wouldn't be extra seats on the side with the hospitality boxes.

I assume, although I don't know, that an expansion taking it to 35,000 would involve a new tier all the way round the stadium. I've heard nothing to suggest it would only be above the main stand.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Looking through the docs, it's striking how it is a cheapy version of Ashton Vale. I know these generic identikit ar basically all the same anyway, but these two have alot more in common than most it seems.
The 'dug in' bowl of 22k, incorporating disabled spaces at the back, and end stand roofs are almost identical. The corners as well, with video screens(one for rovers, two for city).
The extra ££ in the vale design has been spent in the signature goal post design main stand roof trusses, and conference hall.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Looking through the docs, it's striking how it is a cheapy version of Ashton Vale. I know these generic identikit ar basically all the same anyway, but these two have alot more in common than most it seems.
The 'dug in' bowl of 22k, incorporating disabled spaces at the back, and end stand roofs are almost identical. The corners as well, with video screens(one for rovers, two for city).
The extra ££ in the vale design has been spent in the signature goal post design main stand roof trusses, and conference hall.
The basic design does have rather more in common than I suspect both sets of supporters would like to admit. Burying the bowl apparently saves money by removing the need to prop the seating up with lots of expensive steelwork.

Actually the UWE stadium also has two video screens, they are in the corners either end of the side facing the hospitality boxes.

1 - 20 of 437 Posts