·
Sexy Astronaut
11,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Development - Finzels Reach
Value - £255 Million
Size - 5.68 acres (2.3 Hectares)
Developer - HDG Mansur

Major waterfront redevelopment of a former brewery in central Bristol by HDG Mansur. The scheme includes the redevelopment of the listed generator building and a new landmark footbridge called the Mobius Bridge. Bridgewater house near the corner of Victoria street is the further progressed building, with foundations and basement parking almost complete. The site is generally in the demolition/foundations stage of construction and consists of:

• Total floorspace of 993,148 sq ft (92,300 Sq m)
402,183 sq ft (37,362 q m) of office development
399 residential units
87,155 sq ft (8096 sqm) of retail/leisure
• Public space, harbourside walk and Mobius Bridge

For More Info see: http://www.finzelsreach.co.uk/

·
Pompodian in Exile
1,791 Posts
Really love the density in this development, planners often shy away from narrow streets and alleys like this but IMO they add real character and dynamism to a city.

Last time I cared to check the office building was being fitted out, but most of the construction activity appears to be on the preserved brewery buildings around the site of the new bridge... not entirely sure what these are destined to be?

·
Sexy Astronaut
11,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, despite some apprehensions I had in the beginning, it's looking to be quite a sound development.

...but most of the construction activity appears to be on the preserved brewery buildings around the site of the new bridge... not entirely sure what these are destined to be?
Assuming they haven't altered their plans, it's going to be a microbrewery in that particular part.

Note: I found some concept/proposal renders of it. Hopefully they haven't scrapped or scaled down this version:

A concept to provide a new micro-brewery for the riverside development of Finzels Reach Building on the Bristol Harbourside. This development is to be split into 3 key areas to provide a cafe / Deli bar / brewery tap, restaurant level and music venue / VIP bar.

It’s a grade II listed fermentation building which is in a poor state at present and is constructed of old steelwork, concrete and pennant stonework. A place to be seen, a place to be entertained and a place to create quality ales following a 300 year old tradition.

http://www.behance.net/simoncooper/frame/2831131

·
Pompodian in Exile
1,791 Posts
That looks superb. With this, the Bristol Beer factory and Zero Degrees Bristol will have a decent little collection of independent breweries.

·
Sexy Astronaut
11,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There's also Bath Ales, which despite it's name, is Bristolian. The HQ and brewery is in Warmley.

·
Resident Ignoramus
4,080 Posts
There's also Bath Ales, which despite it's name, is Bristolian. The HQ and brewery is in Warmley.
Very true! They're quite a big operation now - even bottling stuff for other breweries. I wonder if they'll become the next Courage?

·
Registered
137 Posts
can anyone dig out a photo update of where we are with this development? I remember digging this one out when it was first announced and loving the brilliant renders that were produced. Now it's turned into reality I think it's looking pretty close to what was promised.

The ones below are nearly year old and stolen from Bristol Mikes brilliant '2DAY IN BRISTOL - A Visual Diary' thread in the urban showcase section.

Has much been added since?

·
Registered
16,733 Posts
The cladding appears to be of a high standard, I was worried it would turn out cheap (plastic crap) but that looks stunning. The bridge is the true star though, linking it to the Park was possibly the best thing they could have done.

Bristol CC is really unrepresented on this forum. It isn't just dense, it is consistantly dense. One could easilly imagine a Subway Line running under it E-W.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
The developers are applying for temporary permission (10 years) to landscape the site between the new office block and the generator building. While it will improve the look of the site from the road, they clearly aren't expecting to start the second office block anytime soon.

·
Whoop Di Doo
404 Posts
The developers are applying for temporary permission (10 years) to landscape the site between the new office block and the generator building. While it will improve the look of the site from the road, they clearly aren't expecting to start the second office block anytime soon.
So have they built "Bridgewater House" yet?

And they are looking to landscape the area where the "Temple Building" is going to be built.

I thought the Grade A Office in Bristol was still heavily sought after and that build was pre-let. Obviously not!

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
So have they built "Bridgewater House" yet?

And they are looking to landscape the area where the "Temple Building" is going to be built.

I thought the Grade A Office in Bristol was still heavily sought after and that build was pre-let. Obviously not!
Bridgewater House is built and you are quite right, the landscaped area is where the Temple Building is due to be built.

1 - 20 of 446 Posts