SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
14,131 Posts
He's the Admin for the UK & Ireland forum, and you've got his name embarrassingly wrong. It's made even worse by the CAPS. :laugh:

·
Administrator
34,910 Posts
gothicform - reference to gothic forms in architecture by the way :) half the people mispell like that.

ummm, stuff is starting. the willis building is u/c now, ontario tower at new providence wharf, there's gonna be a lot more action before the end of the year, projects we've spent so long talking about are coming online such as columbus tower, broadgate i hear is set for a late 2005 early 2006 start. remember there's only 32 buildings over 100m complete in london right now and that includes ones like the london eye and battersea power station.

some skyscrapers are in competition for height, not all. when the bank holiday is over, a great example will be on my site for birmingham. with resis they want the tallest penthouses in the area which is a great selling point.

·
Registered
225 Posts
In London, there isn't really any competition going on to see who can build the tallest. Developers are increasing site value and building architectural landmarks, but they're not necessarily bothered by how the height of their tower ranks within the city.

Is the UK having a skyscraper boom? Yes, I'd say it is. The number of tall buildings being proposed now is greater than at any other time in the country's history. Tall buildings are now no longer an exception.

·
Banned
2,337 Posts
gothicform said:
gothicform - reference to gothic forms in architecture by the way :) half the people mispell like that.

ummm, stuff is starting. the willis building is u/c now, ontario tower at new providence wharf, there's gonna be a lot more action before the end of the year, projects we've spent so long talking about are coming online such as columbus tower, broadgate i hear is set for a late 2005 early 2006 start. remember there's only 32 buildings over 100m complete in london right now and that includes ones like the london eye and battersea power station.

some skyscrapers are in competition for height, not all. when the bank holiday is over, a great example will be on my site for birmingham. with resis they want the tallest penthouses in the area which is a great selling point.

Ohh ... Gothic, you're such a tease (but that must be taller then HCT) ;) :)

... umm, or is it not in competition with Holloway Circus but more Arena Central? :dunno: :cheers:

·
15,712 Posts
Britannia said:
In London, there isn't really any competition going on to see who can build the tallest. Developers are increasing site value and building architectural landmarks, but they're not necessarily bothered by how the height of their tower ranks within the city.

Is the UK having a skyscraper boom? Yes, I'd say it is. The number of tall buildings being proposed now is greater than at any other time in the country's history. Tall buildings are now no longer an exception.
you sure that there are more towers being proposed now than in the 1960s????

its interesting..it would appear that in a majority of cases, most cities around europe are not experiencing the skyscraper boom we are. yes financial cities such as franfurt and paris but other then that, it does not seem to be the case...however, in the eastern world, its another kettle of fish!

·
15,712 Posts
birminghamculture said:
Ohh ... Gothic, you're such a tease (but that must be taller then HCT) ;) :)

... umm, or is it not in competition with Holloway Circus but more Arena Central? :dunno: :cheers:
bless......... how one sentence can bring sheer enjoyment to one person!

·
Banned
2,337 Posts
woodhousen said:
bless......... how one sentence can bring sheer enjoyment to one person!
Lol, Im a Wolves fan, we thrive on rumours.

We always set our heights to high, and once we find out its nothing we feel all disheartned, but it gives us a reason to go down the pub and have a drink or 2 ;)

·
Registered
225 Posts
you sure that there are more towers being proposed now than in the 1960s????

its interesting..it would appear that in a majority of cases, most cities around europe are not experiencing the skyscraper boom we are. yes financial cities such as franfurt and paris but other then that, it does not seem to be the case...however, in the eastern world, its another kettle of fish!
Possibly not in absolute numbers, but let's not forget that the vast majority of those were built by the public sector as part of a coordinated drive to re-house the nation. Today's towers are being built by a multitude of people, from investment funds, to housing associations, housebuilders and blue-chip developers. The types of towers being built is also quite varied, with many all-resi, some all office, hotel towers and even a few mixed-use towers, although this is the sector that has really yet to kick off (and ironically it's the type of tall building from which British cities have most to gain).

This time around we also have real skyscrapers coming forward... skyscrapers that are easily world-leaders in terms of architecture, energy efficiency, structure and construction methods etc., a trend that is only developing as time goes on. I don't think we've yet seen the trend mature... in fact I think it is still in its infancy.

·
15,712 Posts
i hope your right, that tends to be the views of many of my lecturers here at uni..... the general thought is that britain is heading to the skies... though in newcastle, many dont tend to like it!

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
When has there ever been so much skyscraper activity in the UK.

London has always had its fair share of skyscraper activity, but the really amazing change has been how provincial cities have got on the bandwaggon over the last few years to vie against each other for dominance of the skies.

Look at the number of proposed or under construction buildings which are changing our city skylines over 100m:

London- many buildings

Provinces:

Manchester- 12
Liverpool- 9
Leeds- 7
Birmingham- 6
Glasgow- 3

1 - 20 of 23 Posts