Top embassy!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Don't like the exterior. Bit on the minging side. Nice interior though. 5/10

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
6/10 British Embassy looks very rigid. Not a very friendly building.

The picture above is fascinating. Was the street in front of the future US embassy where the Berlin Wall used to run? I thought the wall ran around the Brandenburg Gate, which is just a few hundred meters away. What is the circular thing on the land where the US embassy will be built?

·
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nick in Atlanta said:
6/10 British Embassy looks very rigid. Not a very friendly building.

The picture above is fascinating. Was the street in front of the future US embassy where the Berlin Wall used to run? I thought the wall ran around the Brandenburg Gate, which is just a few hundred meters away. What is the circular thing on the land where the US embassy will be built?
Well I didn't know what this circular thing is but I just found out! :) :

"The official opening of the "United Buddy Bear" circle took place on Thursday, 20 June 2002, between Brandenburg Gate and Behrenstrasse.

The Mayor of Berlin, Mr. Klaus Wowereit, made the opening address to more seven hundred invited guests from the fields of politics, trade and industry, and culture. 67 Ambassadors were present.

The first circle of 125 "United Buddy Bears" was presented until November 2002 next to the Brandenburg Gate at Pariser Platz."

This happened after:

"In the presence of Hanns Peter Nerger (Berlin-Tourismus Marketing GmbH) and Eva Herlitz (Initiator Buddy Bär Berlin), Linda K. Gras (Deputy Commissioner, Commisision to United Nations) presented a Buddy Bear in BOWLING GREEN PARK in the South of Manhattan. The bear was painted by the artist Helge Leiberg who is known far beyond the bounderies of Germany. This Buddy Bear is a present of the city of Berlin to the city of New York. The artist Helge Leiberg deserves a big "thank you". Thanks also to the sponsors: Galerie Schulz, Lufthansa AG and Buddy Bär Berlin GmbH."

and here's a pic how the Pariser Platz looked like with the Berlin wall:

·
I come in peace \V/
11,252 Posts
very nice 8.5

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
LuckyLuke said:
and here's a pic how the Pariser Platz looked like with the Berlin wall:

Thanks LuckyLuke!! So I guess that street between the future US Embassy and the Tiergarten is where the Berlin Wall used to run. That really is an amazing choice for a location of an embassy.

·
Registered
18,111 Posts
Well, how does an embassy has to look like? I prefer embassies in classic and beautyful old buildings. But this one here looks like a museum.

But we have to rate the architecture here. I give it 8/10...

·
Banned
574 Posts
I think it is superb . Obviously it has been built with security in mind ( think of the embassy car bombs etc. ) . I think it looks contemporary and stylish but authorative and secure at the same time which is no mean feat if you think about it .

I also like the implication of a building within a building .

Very nice for the purpose . I gave it 10 .

1 - 20 of 56 Posts