Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Metrophile
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brno is a city usually ignored by tourists, although it is certainly worth at least a half-day visit. Its pedestrianized historic center is very charming and easy to navigate, as it is adjacent to the railway station. The streets are full of people, who seem to be a little less reserved than the inhabitants of Prague.

Where else can you find Mac Donald’s in such beautiful buildings?

One thing I did not like in the main pedestrian street was the fact that it hosts tramway tracks in the middle. People usually walk on them and step aside when a tram approaches. At one place a café has blocked the pavement, forcing pedestrians to walk on the tracks:

Walking towards the hill:

Here is the view from the hill, with the inevitable commie blocks:

This is the main railway station:

The area behind the station:

I kept the best part for the end. If you follow the pedestrian bridges behind the railway station, you get to a HUGE shopping mall:

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
Not bad...

If you love Central European cities, you should visit Karlovy Vary (Karlsbad). Truly amazing!!!

·
Banned
2,980 Posts
The streets are full of people, who seem to be a little less reserved than the inhabitants of Prague.
You met some Prague inhabitants in Prague? You lucky man, they are very rare... :)

·
Banned
2,980 Posts
Not bad...

If you love Central European cities, you should visit Karlovy Vary (Karlsbad). Truly amazing!!!
Yes, if you like kitschy late-19th century eclectical architecture, than you have to see Karlovy Vary for sure...

Believe me, there are hundreds much more interesting cities within Central Europe. I know, poor taste is poor taste, you can't help it.

·
Metrophile
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not bad...

I have already visited Karlovy Vary, in 2004. Unfortunately back then I did not carry a camera with me, since I was not a member of SSC! It is really stunning, IMO the most beautiful town of this size in Europe! Kokpit probably hates it because it is actually a Russian owned town!

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
I have already visited Karlovy Vary, in 2004. Unfortunately back then I did not carry a camera with me, since I was not a member of SSC! It is really stunning, IMO the most beautiful town of this size in Europe!
:eek:kay:

Kokpit probably hates it because it is actually a Russian owned town!
And/or maybe because I gave its German name...:eek:

Russian owned, interesting? I thought Monte Carlo was their playground. Anyway, both cities have beautiful Russian Orthodox Churches in the revivalist style.

·
Banned
2,980 Posts
Kokpit probably hates it because it is actually a Russian owned town!
No, I hate eclectical architecture generally. Karlovy Vary hasn't any historical value contrary to hundreds towns in Central Europe, it's just kitschy spa town with most buildings being built in late 19th century in neohistorical style (the most stupid architectonic style ever invented). There are more spa towns in western Bohemia (Mariánské lázně...), Karlovy Vary are the most kitschy of these and that's why they are the most visited and admired by tourists lacking any good taste for architecture.
If you want see Central European town with valuable architecture, visit Litomyšl, Třebíč, Tábor, Český Krumlov, Kutná Hora, Olomouc, Telč... or any of hundreds historical towns within CE.
You can only gues why for example Karlovy Vary are not on UNESCO list...

BTW Karlovy Vary is not owned by Russians, it is just ruled by Russian mafia which wash their dirty money there...

·
Banned
2,980 Posts
One thing I did not like in the main pedestrian street was the fact that it hosts tramway tracks in the middle. People usually walk on them and step aside when a tram approaches. At one place a café has blocked the pavement, forcing pedestrians to walk on the tracks:
What about old people? Brno is city for people, not for spoiled western tourists. BTW tram goes there not so often AFAIK and there was no accident so far.
You can watch it here

·
Registered
431 Posts
very nice town looks tourist friendly, i know some people that attend Masaryk University in Brno..

·
Banned
376 Posts
The problem with Brno in terms of tourism is that
an overwhelming majority of people including business and hotel owners
do not speak English at all. I had to call Brno for my work a few months ago
in order to put hotels on our online booking engine, but i only managed to get two because all of the other ones did not speak English at all.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts