SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brno, the second Czech city is a center of Morava region. City itself has around 335.000 inhabittants and is located ca. 120 km from Bratislava and about the same distance from Vienna. Besides the fine historical centre the city is known for the organising of Brno Trade fair - the largest fair in the Czech republic. Motocross areal cca. 25 km from Brno was once thought to be a F1 ring.

The city is developing especially in its western part, where the main administrative district is located. However, the development are encompssing also aother surrounding areas.
According to the developments, Brno will have 150-160.000 of high quality office space until 2006-2007.

This is M palác - /14 stories/ one of the newest administrative buildings, still, at least two another highrises were reconstructed, but don´t remember the names

Platinum
not a big project, still, opening of 10.000 sq.m. of offices announced on August 31.

Spilberk office centrum 60.000 sq.m. of office space, the construction should begin in May, completition till the end of 2006

Axis office Centre - 10.000 sq.m. office, opening in the half of 2006
Axis office park - I put only the link, but I find this architecture rather interesting

Brno Business park - 39.000 sq.m. of office space, 900 parking places, completition in the 4th quarter of 2005

·
I come in peace \V/
11,252 Posts
nice projects, got any pics of older projects in Brno, like new rilway station, does Brno have an Airport - does it need new one ? how about hotels...

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, thanks for interest in Brno, a bit surprised after your dubiousness about the construction of Bratislava River Park :D :) , so here are some projects as well IMO some interesting finished ones:

Galerie Vaňkovka - new shopping centre in the heart of Brno, originally it was a textile factory. About 39.000 sq.m. of shopping space.
Of course, outside Brno centre there are several shopping malls, however, this is for the broader centre:

Shopping centre Spalíček

New apartment houses in Brno suburb:

Musical scene of the Brno theatre:

The proposal of Brno-north district govnment office:

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I do not like Brno that much, not that its bad, but i expect more from Czech, after all you have Prague. How are the other cities there, is there a huge difference between Prague and rest of the citites?

·
Respect the Architect
520 Posts
i think brno is doing really well,especially looking at few last pictures....some top european class architecture is growing up, do you have some bigger pics of these appartment buildings? very cool design

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thebackdoorman said:
I do not like Brno that much, not that its bad, but i expect more from Czech, after all you have Prague. How are the other cities there, is there a huge difference between Prague and rest of the citites?
I am not from Czech republic, but I have been travelling there quite often. Of course, Prague is a jewel, Morava region is quite nice as well, maybe except of Ostrava region /former coal mines/. Interesting developments are not concentrating in Prague, but also in other cities and towns.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
alex_d said:
i think brno is doing really well,especially looking at few last pictures....some top european class architecture is growing up, do you have some bigger pics of these appartment buildings? very cool design
Unfortunately no, but I´ll post some other residential development projects (according from information from www.stavebniforum.cz is ca. 4000 of appartments in construction, or different stages of preparation in Brno):

G

·
Wow, is that Brno? I was in Brno two years ago and thought that some buildings still needed to be renovated, but now that you show those pics, MAN!!!! The city really is developing.

By the way, there is an airport over there, not used a lot, but it’s international.

:cheers:

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
el tico said:
Wow, is that Brno? I was in Brno two years ago and thought that some buildings still needed to be renovated, but now that you show those pics, MAN!!!! The city really is developing.

By the way, there is an airport over there, not used a lot, but it’s international.

:cheers:
Well, thank you. About the buildings to be renovated you are right about the area around the main railway station, however, it´s not the case of historical centre (Spilberk, main square (nam. Svobody) and surrounding streets as well as let ´s say business district on the western part of the city).

I checked also some developments of Brno airport, about 5 years ago was opened a new control tower (couldn´t find larger picture):

·
Super Moderator
11,283 Posts
The first tower seems nice, but a little alone, as if in some suburban community, and not in the city center. Of course I don't want it right by churches and old buildings, but maybe in some kind of more developed urban area, as to create a mini-CBD of small office buildings.
But that's Brno, not Prague, I don't expect really a lot, and I think the development is pretty good as it is

·
Banned
748 Posts
Nice to see some new projects for this city, most of them look good. I was in Brno last summer - it's beautiful city. :)

·
Zurück in die Zukunft
29,109 Posts
That's a sizeable development for a city of 300k population.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts