SkyscraperCity banner

Please rate this building :dance2:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
9,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This flamboyant Italianate church is a monument to the English Catholic revival of the late-19th century. The Brompton Oratory was established by John Henry Newman, who was later to become Cardinal Newman.

When a London community of priests (already founded at Charing Cross by Father Frederick William Faber) moved to Brompton, then on the outskirts of the city, this became its oratory. Newman and Faber were both Anglian converts to Catholicism. In establishing a community of secular priests, living without vows in a large city, they were following the example of St Philip Neri.

The present building, based on a church in Rome, was completed in 1884. Its façade and dome were added in 1890s. The architect was Herbert Gribble, another convert to Catholicism.

Gribble was only 29 years old when he won the highly prestigious competition to design the building.

Inside, the Oratory boasts a nave that is 50 feet wide. The interior, rich in marble and mosaics, has been progressively enriched since the building was completed. Most of the eye-catching treasures of Brompton Oratory predate the building and many of the pieces were actually transported to London from Italian churches.

The huge marble figures of the 12 apostles were carved by Giuseppe Mazzuoli in the late-17th century for Siena Cathedral. The wonderfully elaborate Lady Altar was created for the Dominican church in Brescia in 1693.

St Wilfrid's Chapel has an 18th century altar imported from Rochefort in Belgium. Apart from its grand Baroque architecture, the church has always been noted for its superb musical tradition.

During the Cold War the Brompton Oratory was used by the KGB as a dead letter box.

source:http://www.touruk.co.uk/london_churches/bromptonoratory_church1.htm

·
Banned
14,131 Posts
This is a beautiful, fantastic piece of architecture. As explained in Citytalk & Urban Issues, I have an awesome view of it from my bedroom window. It's like a mini-St Paul's Cathedral. I see it every day, and I absolutely love it. :)

I have to give 10/10.

·
Premium Member
3,325 Posts
I love this church - I see it once a week when I'm down in Brompton Road and am always in awe. It needs a bit of a clean though.

·
Registered
333 Posts
10.0 I've been inside this church a number of times because I always used to stay in the area when visiting London. Because I love the Italian style, it is my favorite church in England, probably mostly because it is so out of place in England.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
After the late sixteenth century, English (and for that matter Scottish, after Knox, ultra-Protestant version of the reformaiton) Catholics had to wait a long time to be able to express themselves architecturally again, but once they did, they more than made up for lost time, whether it is this or Westminster Cathedral, I really like Catholic Revivalist Buildings

9.5/10

·
I love my life
Cuyi Lastrassi
15,032 Posts
9/10- very nice overall. i especially like the intirior and the dome inside.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts