SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
BOFH Extraordinaire
3,891 Posts
Ahhh ok yes, I see that now, then yeah no conflict at all really.

Awesome that PMB is getting this type of development.... I know the images might be slightly deceiving, but it looks to almost be as big as Liberty Midlands.

·
Registered
97 Posts
First Checkers Hyper to be built in PMB
12 Feb 2014
Barry du Plessis

AFTER a delay with planning approval, the go-ahead has finally been given for the Brookside Mall.
The mall brings the first Checkers Hyper in the area by the end of this year, Shoprite Checkers said yesterday.
Construction activity recently picked up at the Brookside Mall site alongside the northbound side of the N3 near the Liberty Midlands Mall, and around 28 shops will open along with the Checkers Hyper by the year’s end, said Sarita van Wyk, corporate communications and customer relations officer for Shoprite Checkers.
She said that the development will create approximately 1 000 jobs during the construction phase and some 500 jobs are expected to be generated by the tenants once the mall opens.
The first phase will see 15 236 square metres of retail space to house businesses that include Checkers LiquorShop, House and Home, Pep Stores, Ackermans, Clicks and Capitec Bank, with Checkers Hyper as the anchor tenant.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Google view dated March 2015 shows a shopping complex with a couple of cars as though already functional? The N3 google view looks grand - I like the color. The plan view shows a so-called Daymed private hospital in the space which seemed like the remaining buildings of the old school and this too looks complete from plan? So I guess Pietermaritzburg is not represented. This was a well-positioned project to curb the encroaching slums which have now neatly been hidden from N3 travellers. It also gives this NP entrance a decent look, hoping the city centre will start upgrading, becuase I see a dull city via Google, so much I wish I could just copy and paste Pinetown onto it. Strange that NP gives such beautiful aerial and landscape views when driving past in the midst of those great bushes and beautiful suburbs.

·
Explore
2,832 Posts
It's basically a big Checkers Hyper with a handful of other stores tagged on. Nothing spectacular but does the job and nicely landscaped outside. Good addition to the dodgy part of town. There's also a medical centre nearby that has just completed a new building of about 6 floors adjacent to their current centre so some much needed improvements happening in that part of town.

·
22,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's basically a big Checkers Hyper with a handful of other stores tagged on. Nothing spectacular but does the job and nicely landscaped outside. Good addition to the dodgy part of town. There's also a medical centre nearby that has just completed a new building of about 6 floors adjacent to their current centre so some much needed improvements happening in that part of town.
doesnt that area have run down, but historic buildings? PMB has such a great collection of buildings unfortunately in often poor condition, they could be such a big tourism draw

·
Explore
2,832 Posts
That part of town has virtually nothing of historic value. It's really a mess but the mall was built there for easy freeway access, particularly with the big new interchange. Most of the noteable historic buildings are in the CBD and yes it is easily the best collection in the country. Many are actually well maintained but sadly the surrounding streets definitely are not.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I've used this mall a number of times already and it truly was a great addition to give NP a good entrance. Pity, like Gregz says, the Capital of KZN has no interest keeping streets clean at all, they are forever dirty. There are a lot of great buildings worth celebrating, indeed well kept, but you get defeated by the dirt on the streets. So much potential for NP, but like a local NP newspaper indicated, the local council was found not to even have a plan for this city. As for tourism offerings, I do not remember even seeing a single bus bringing tourists to KZN National Botanical Gardens, and I stayed on Mayor's Walk from August 2016 - March 2017. Then you have what has overtaken all SA city CBD's, especially those run by the ANC: The pavements are also bedrooms and lately they have brought mattresses!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts