SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
10th February 2008
56,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Click on the link below the article to see information and renders of the proposal.

Manchester Confidential.

Brunswick Estate To Get Beautified

Central Manchester housing gets boost

CENTRAL Government has given the crucial go-ahead for a massive regeneration project for Brunswick, with a £113 million plan that will transform the inner city neighbourhood.

We have a fantastic community here that will no doubt continue to prosper as the regeneration plans come to fruition.

The Homes and Communities Agency (HCA), acting for the Department for Communities and Local Government (CLG), have approved a value for money business case – that has saved a substantial £4.9 million for the project – and gives the city council permission to choose a preferred organisation who will carry out Brunswick’s programme of improvement.

The 25 year regeneration project will bring huge investment to the area that has seen development plans postponed for several years.

More than 650 council homes will enjoy extensive refurbishments that will exceed decent homes standards, up to 500 high quality new homes will be built for rent or buy and an improved neighbourhood design – including new road layouts and safe open spaces.

In addition, a new retail area will provide shops and amenities, along with a new neighbourhood office and a 60 bed sheltered accommodation facility.

Cllr Jim Battle, Deputy Leader of Manchester City Council, said: "This announcement takes us a step closer to a new Brunswick, and although we still face a number of hurdles, this is a welcome announcement that gives some light at the end of the tunnel for residents who have waited years for these plans.

"We have a fantastic community here that will no doubt continue to prosper as the regeneration plans come to fruition. Being so close to the city centre, coupled with the promise of new homes and an improved neighbourhood layout, I can see a bright future for Brunswick."

The Government green light means the Council can now consider the tenders of the project consortiums who will be responsible for delivering the regeneration plan. The Council will evaluate the final bids from both Fern and Solutions 4 Brunswick, before selecting the preferred bidder later this year.
http://www.manchester.gov.uk/downloads/download/2486/brunswick_regeneration_pfi

·
Registered
6,783 Posts
Historians a question.

Is Brunswick a district in itself or part of Chorlton on Medlock? And has it's somewhat establishment cum Germanic name point to it's past?

The plans seemed to merited and akin to what seems to have arisen in west Gorton.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Here's the sizable app for it.
101664/FO/2013/N2

Selective demolition and clearance (including a number of residential, retail and other non-residential buildings) to allow the phased redevelopment and refurbishment of the Brunswick Neighbourhood, including the erection of 444 new residential dwellings (C3); the refurbishment of 839 existing homes [including low rise reversals and the refurbishment of Artillery Court, Silkin Court, Lockton Court, Lamport Court, and existing maisonettes and low rise houses]; a new boulevard and new access roads, new car parking and service areas; a new mixed use building comprising of 4 retail units (A1 or launderette or A5), and a neighbourhood housing office (B1a) with 18 apartments (C3) above; a mixed use residential extra care home with 60 residential units, and a day care centre on part of the ground floor (C2/D1); the upgrading of Gartside Gardens [with new multi use games area, a new playground, realigned pathways, new entrances and new landscaping]; a new orchard; 25 new allotments; new boundary treatments; new open spaces; with associated infrastructure, landscaping and tree planting

Brunswick Neighbourhood Bounded By Wadeson Road, Stockport Road, Grove Village, Upper Brook Street & Mancunian Way Manchester M13
Don't know if this has already been posted? Loads of detail on here.

http://www.inbrunswick.co.uk/whats-happening/plans/

Timeline

February 2013 – Planning application submitted by S4B

Summer 2013 – S4B signs contract

Autumn 2013 - Work starts on site

End of 2017 – All new roads, refurbishment and new build social homes complete

http://www.inbrunswick.co.uk/faqs/

http://www.inbrunswick.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/aerial_updated_earlier.pdf

http://www.inbrunswick.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/masterplan_a3.pdf

http://www.inbrunswick.co.uk/whats-happening/new-homes/

Demolition:

http://www.publicaccess.manchester.gov.uk/associateddocs/selecteddoc.aspx?101664-dpp-0010.pdf

·
Registered
11,111 Posts
As with other Manchester City Council area estate redevelopments this seems a bit of a missed opportunity. One of the big problems with the Brunswick estate is the poor links across the Mancunian Way into town and through to Upper Brook Street towards Oxford Road. It seems misguided to treat the estate in isolation from the University Estate that wraps around it.

Having said that it's an improvement over what's there and does provide a much more useful street pattern. I just wish sometimes that the planners would take a more holistic and strategic view of the different kind of communities we want in the inner city.

·
Registered
24,839 Posts
Transport is key, and public transport too of course in a place like Brunswick. Clearly a tram extension from Piccadilly is off the charts at the moment, but it would be good if every inner-city area of Manchester (Hulme, Brunswick, Miles Platting, Pendleton, Ordsall) could have its own bus interchange to serve as a sort of 'hub'.

I like the plans for Brunswick, I just wish it could be denser is all. Clearly if the demand for dense development isn't there then that's fine.

I was actually just looking around Alexandra Park on Google Streetview and the new housing/flats around there are looking good, particulary merged in with the trees. Like a proper innercity area should look, and very 'Boston'.

·
Registered
11,111 Posts
Transport is key, and public transport too of course in a place like Brunswick. Clearly a tram extension from Piccadilly is off the charts at the moment, but it would be good if every inner-city area of Manchester (Hulme, Brunswick, Miles Platting, Pendleton, Ordsall) could have its own bus interchange to serve as a sort of 'hub'.

I like the plans for Brunswick, I just wish it could be denser is all. Clearly if the demand for dense development isn't there then that's fine.
To be fair everything south of Howarth Close seems fine. It's the area around Grosvenor Street that seems to be problematic. They're not pushing development out towards the main roads (Upper Brook Street and the A6), they're not attempting to integrate with the areas on the other side of the Mancunian Way or UBS (both of which are due for redevelopment soon). This is the key pedestrian corridor between the Universities and Piccadilly, and no account seems to have been taken of this strategic position to produce a vibrant urban community.

I'm also slightly bemused why they're not making any attempt to strengthen links into the Grove Village.

·
van het noorden
1,723 Posts
Brunswick isn't a huge area and I'd say it was served adequately by buses on Downing St (192 included) and whichever buses ply up and down Upper Brook St. Hundreds of em....

There isn't much attempt being made to integrate the area into neighbouring areas Cherguevara, but it seems that the idea is to strengthen an existing urban village; the addition of 500 new homes will go a long way to achieve this. I've known a couple of Brunswick residents and whenever I've been there, the impression I've had is of a self-contained community. The lack of density in these plans and the size of available new-build properties would seem to fit in with the need for Manchester to provide more housing for families, specifically city centre residents who have to move to (heaven forbid!) leafy Stockport or Trafford, when they start to have kids.

Is Brunswick a district in itself or part of Chorlton on Medlock? And has it's somewhat establishment cum Germanic name point to it's past?
As far as I know, Brunswick is a localised part of Chorlton on Medlock, and was centred historically on Brunswick St. I'd hazard a wild guess that Brunswick St was once the commercial heart of the area, and that post slum clearance, the name Brunswick became the name of the replacement council estate.

What this has to do with the City of Braunschweig, I have no idea! But I've often wondered myself.....

·
Registered
11,111 Posts
Brunswick isn't a huge area and I'd say it was served adequately by buses on Downing St (192 included) and whichever buses ply up and down Upper Brook St. Hundreds of em....

There isn't much attempt being made to integrate the area into neighbouring areas Cherguevara, but it seems that the idea is to strengthen an existing urban village; the addition of 500 new homes will go a long way to achieve this. I've known a couple of Brunswick residents and whenever I've been there, the impression I've had is of a self-contained community. The lack of density in these plans and the size of available new-build properties would seem to fit in with the need for Manchester to provide more housing for families, specifically city centre residents who have to move to (heaven forbid!) leafy Stockport or Trafford, when they start to have kids.

As far as I know, Brunswick is a localised part of Chorlton on Medlock, and was centred historically on Brunswick St. I'd hazard a wild guess that Brunswick St was once the commercial heart of the area, and that post slum clearance, the name Brunswick became the name of the replacement council estate.

What this has to do with the City of Braunschweig, I have no idea! But I've often wondered myself.....
I agree that transport is not a problem, especially with the new street plan making access to the main N-S roads easier. I also agree that we need more and more varied family housing near to the city centre. It's not going to make Chorlton on Medlock Altrincham, but it'll help the community and give people more options.

What I don't think it does is consider what role parts of this strategic site could play in adding to the overall offer of Manchester. We lack a semi-dense urban professional housing area near to the city centre, and Umist and Grosvenor Street seems perfect for it. It's in a strategic location with the potential for lots of footfall if done right, with good transport links and real potential to push out the centre.

Something like Hulme density but with a local centre along Grosvenor street and links over/under the Manc Way would be ideal.

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
I took a look at the website posted up by nq, where there's a "blink comparator". You can see that the proposal is essentially a low-rise urbanisation, with tightly-packed terraced dwellings replacing existing houses and greenery.

You know what? I don't like it. At £113m it sounds like more than a waste of money because they'd be better off refurbishing what's there. Hmmn. I wonder if there might be a bit of trumpeting going on here to try and deflect the stick MCC got for spending £150m tarting up their own offices.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
not really impressed with the new housing, mish-mash of materials, no real underlying style, mildly po-mo, neither traditional detailing nor slick contemporary modernism - more mediocre british new builds

·
van het noorden
1,723 Posts
I agree that transport is not a problem, especially with the new street plan making access to the main N-S roads easier. I also agree that we need more and more varied family housing near to the city centre. It's not going to make Chorlton on Medlock Altrincham, but it'll help the community and give people more options.

What I don't think it does is consider what role parts of this strategic site could play in adding to the overall offer of Manchester. We lack a semi-dense urban professional housing area near to the city centre, and Umist and Grosvenor Street seems perfect for it. It's in a strategic location with the potential for lots of footfall if done right, with good transport links and real potential to push out the centre.

Something like Hulme density but with a local centre along Grosvenor street and links over/under the Manc Way would be ideal.
I agree, what's the closest we have to the semi-dense area you refer to? I'd guess Whalley Range and parts of Broughton, and that's about it.

I've previously argued for the removal of the eastern elevated sections of the Mancunian Way. I can't remember the figures for traffic volume and distribution along it, but those admittedly would seem to rule out its removal. But, imagine what could be achieved in terms of permeability and liveability of the area, including Ardwick Green, Mayfield, and Brunswick.

Edit - having driven from west to east along the Mancunian Way regularly for 20 odd years, I've yet to see a significant traffic jam at any of the Upper Brook St, London Rd, or Ashton Old Rd exits. The Chester Rd/Regent Rd end is a different matter.

·
van het noorden
1,723 Posts
I took a look at the website posted up by nq, where there's a "blink comparator". You can see that the proposal is essentially a low-rise urbanisation, with tightly-packed terraced dwellings replacing existing houses and greenery.

You know what? I don't like it. At £113m it sounds like more than a waste of money because they'd be better off refurbishing what's there. Hmmn. I wonder if there might be a bit of trumpeting going on here to try and deflect the stick MCC got for spending £150m tarting up their own offices.
Maybe, but I was under the impression the money includes refurbishment too. I have to admit, when I first saw the plans, my initial reaction was that this is potentially an area I could move to; I'd love to swap what I have in the suburbs (garden) for the same in an inner city area.

·
Registered
11,111 Posts

Farsight - this has been on the cards for years. It was originally a housing market pathfinder project but I believe that was cancelled they've had to find another finding stream.

Much of the money is being spent on refurbishment and reorientation (making the houses face the street to make the area safer). New houses will be infill or replacing those that don't meet modern standards, but that means it has to be mostly low rise as any higher wont fit in the gaps.

If you compare this to the Old Trafford master plan it's much less ambitious for an area with much more potential. And that barks me off.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Caroline of Brunswick was the queen consort of George the IV of the UK and Hanover. One of the many Hanoverian place names in the UK from our Britano-German overlords.

Looks a bit like a man in drag, if you ask me:

·
Registered
6,783 Posts
Caroline of Brunswick was the queen consort of George the IV of the UK and Hanover. One of the many Hanoverian place names in the UK from our Britano-German overlords.

Looks a bit like a man in drag, if you ask me:

A vote.

An election to decide which forumista has a woman called sweet Caroline and a photo like this in the front room.

You know one of those big dobbing photos, soft focus, lip gloss, one bare shoulder revealed of a spangly red dress.

Vote now.

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
Jonge/Che: do look at the website and do the "blink comparator" so you can see just how much urbanisation will be going on. I was surprised when I realised the extent of it. The blurb talks about a green boulevard and says "how safe they feel and how green and open it will be". But it will end up a lot less green and open than it currently is. Sounds to me like the residents of Brunswick are being sold a pup.

·
Letting off the happiness
5,855 Posts
Farsight - this has been on the cards for years. It was originally a housing market pathfinder project but I believe that was cancelled they've had to find another finding stream.

Much of the money is being spent on refurbishment and reorientation (making the houses face the street to make the area safer). New houses will be infill or replacing those that don't meet modern standards, but that means it has to be mostly low rise as any higher wont fit in the gaps.

If you compare this to the Old Trafford master plan it's much less ambitious for an area with much more potential. And that barks me off.
You got any link to the Old Trafford plans?

·
van het noorden
1,723 Posts
Jonge/Che: do look at the website and do the "blink comparator" so you can see just how much urbanisation will be going on. I was surprised when I realised the extent of it. The blurb talks about a green boulevard and says "how safe they feel and how green and open it will be". But it will end up a lot less green and open than it currently is. Sounds to me like the residents of Brunswick are being sold a pup.
Yes I see your point; quite a lot of infilling going on. However, what look like green pleasant spaces from on high are more like patches of ugly waste ground at the moment. I'm not convinced about the 'green boulevard' either. £112 million isn't a lot of money for an area this size.......far from being the wholesale redevelopment that Che has alluded to. Is this a massive missed opportunity for MCC and the private sector?

1 - 20 of 96 Posts