SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
13,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure what I should think about it but it seems worth to be mentioned here, as it also was already featured in the Belgium subforum.

"World-famous French architect Christian de Portzamparc is the man in charge of turning these ambitions into reality." (Spiegel)

Portzamparc won with his project for the Rui de la Loi the central avenue alon which already today most buildings are used as offices for the EU commission or organisations that work on an EU level.

The area seems to be terrible. A four lane road with heavy traffic, constant construction works and no real places to go other than to work.

The plan should change that, reintroduce a major share of residentials and commerce in this area while at the same time increasing office space. At the same time the traffic should be reduced, the street is supposed to become friendlier for pedestrians and bicyclers.

this all should be achieved with the creation of a number of high rises along the road.

This is still in the project phase, but works should begin already in a few years. The time frame is however one reaching at least to 2025 or so.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/0,1518,615892,00.html

The light rail that can be seen here is far from certain actually the chances for it are rather low. I think however that there will be a metro line with a similar route in operation not too far away.

·
Administrator
16,245 Posts
Really nice stuff, Europe would get a political district that matches its influence.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
I especially like the fact that they would like to use the Cinquantenaire for the European Council. That would really give some cachet to it :)

·
Registered
354 Posts
Built with taxpayers money...

·
Registered
13,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Built with taxpayers money...
Actually it will be most likely built with private investors money, but certainly it will be bought or leased or whatever with taxpayers money.... like any other governmental building in the entire world. Uhhh what a scandal.

It would be a scandal if it would be extremely wasteful architecture but as far as one can see from the renderings apart from being highrises (which serves rather the purpose of densification than just building high for the sake of it like in Dubai) it does not look overly wasteful, does it?

And its not like the EU would be the only public entity in the world which needs new office space in the long term (over the next 15 years).

·
Registered
13,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
It seems that these plans do not really effect the corner of the European Parliament though. Even though I have heard plans to turn the place du Luxembourg into a pedestrian square. I am not sure in how far this is true.

But then, the European Parliament together with that square seems for me to be the only place which could qualify for the descriptions "representative" and also being a place where people stay voluntarily.

This place seems also to be a nice location for political rallies. With major public buildings one should also keep things like these in mind.

·
11,982 Posts

The light rail that can be seen here is far from certain actually the chances for it are rather low. I think however that there will be a metro line with a similar route in operation not too far away.
Indeed there already is a metro tunnel in use underneath that street. It is served by lines 1 & 5, connecting the eastern quarters with Brussels' downtown. The tram was probably put in the image just to illustrate the ambition to reduce car traffic in the area, because now the Wetstraat/Rue de la Loi is pretty much an urban motorway, just like its counterpart Rue Belliardstraat a couple of blocks to the south :dunno:

·
Banned
2 Posts
both secure

both secure and bad but are a snowfall fuse to nonentity, and I heard myself said calmly, "In this municipality, if the regular pains of poorness to encounter a individual, which.

·
Registered
13,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That building will be very unique indeed. Not in a nice looking but a funny way. Still it could be far worse, if it were just one more regular glass cube more.

·
Registered
13,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Oh, actually there is happening a lot in the EU quarter, not so much related to EU institutions however. The "Residence Palace" is still being transformed into the new seat for the European Council. Otherwise, you have a big project on upgrading the public transportation hub at the Schuhman roundabout, and bigger hotel project at the Rue de la Loi. Where a lot of construction activity is going on is however next to that road between Council building and European Parliament. This former no-man's-land is seeing loads of mixed use / residential projects. Given how much of an office ghetto the EU district is, that is great news for the area.

Here is a good summary of all projects:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1383720&page=3

·
Bike It!
22,054 Posts
^^ These are the Lighthouses, construction began some months ago:

(pics by Filou)

The white tower in the background is the Crown Plaza Hotel at Wetstraat/Rue de la Loi, which wil be demolished and replaced by a new project.
The old art deco building is the Residence Palace, which is now being transformed to the new seat of the European Council (the egg).

2,819 Posts
Slartibartfas said:
Oh, actually there is happening a lot in the EU quarter, not so much related to EU institutions however. The "Residence Palace" is still being transformed into the new seat for the European Council.
Why does EC need a new seat? Where is the current one?

1 - 20 of 64 Posts