SkyscraperCity banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
There are plans to demolish this in Coventry:

Untitled by Bodgecity, on Flickr

It's never been fully occupied since it was built.
Even though it was exactly what the architects tried to do post-war, I personally think Coventry once again needs to start from scratch. I mean, definitely keep Gibson's Cathedral, Spon Street/ some of the more meritable post war buildings, but otherwise, the whole general precinct and surrounding areas need to go. I've seen some of the redevelopment plans and they look interesting, but I personally think Coventry needs SOMETHING that will stand the test of time.
In Coventry's case, I don't think restoring historic buildings would be the answer, as virtually nothing of the Medieval street pattern survives. Unlike in Exeter, where you can see the Old Roman grid layout, where historic architecture should be restored.
I don't know if this post will get much of a response, but I believe the size of the city should have a bearing on the type of architectural regeneration it receives. I don't know why people don't see the logic in this, but restoration of historical buildings should be done in smaller cathedral cities, since it would massively contribute to tourism in these places, like it's done in Dresden in Germany! I know there have been some faux restorations, i.e Bath's Southgate, but they've been very few and far between.
As I have said before, buildings such as the Dancing House in Prague would look great in places like Leeds or Leicester, as its tasteful style would place a very harmonious Old-New balance!

·
Concerto Grosso
7,820 Posts
The new Cathedral was by Sir Basil Spence. Donald Gibson was responsible for the precinct and the new 'broadgate' (Which I think is a terrible place - awful layout.) and wanted to destroy the whole city to build his awful vision of boring concrete blocks and flyovers.

I sort of agree. Current day Coventry is a total mess, mainly due to the ring road and precinct, and it really doesn't work. There was never any real plan for the areas between the ring road and precinct and hence they've ended up being cluttered up with random collections of things all facing weird directions - there is virtually no continuity along the streets and just gaps and service areas.

They demolished too much in Coventry to restore it, although the current city is still pretty much built along the lines of the medieval street plan (Mainly the area the Cathedral.) The medieval street pattern was broken up pre-war when streets like Trinity Street were constructed.

What I don't get is just how BAD the post-war stuff is. Not the buildings, but the weird layout. There are no 'streets' in Coventry apart from a few fragments of pre-war street, and no flow of people thanks to the precinct. Broadgate's pre-war layout was brilliant in that it acted as a meeting point of the city's main arterial routes, but they destroyed it and built across roads, replaced them with horrible pedestrian tunnels and killed it. Now it's a dismal square filled with shit shops and empty shopping arcades.

When they tried to fix it in the sixties (The 'new' city was already a failure and 'dead' at night thanks to the removal of most of the people as they demolished the housing) they made an even bigger mess - Gibson's original plan was for a precinct that was linked to the rest of the city. They blocked all the routes with towers.

Current plans are to demolish a large chunk of the 1960s street and turn it back into a linked up series of routes rather than a weird back to front mess of service areas, and also breach the ring road with a giant bridge and create a new business district around the station.

The ring road in Coventry destroyed most of the city's urban grid, and has replaced it with a vast inner city area made up of nothing but flyovers and gyratory systems. Total crap.

Spon Street is a fake. They demolished a perfectly decent (And thriving) commercial street to build the ring road... And have built a street of relocated medieval buildings that struggles to survive as it's cut off from the surrounding city. And now its dominated by the utterly disgusting IKEA building and a shoddy shed called 'Skydome.' (Which, in true Coventry style, has its main entrance down the backside of IKEA facing semi-derelict yards and service areas.)

We live in a wonderful suburb of the city, but we spend all our money in Leamington Spa, as we can't stand Coventry city centre.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
The new Cathedral was by Sir Basil Spence. Donald Gibson was responsible for the precinct and the new 'broadgate' (Which I think is a terrible place - awful layout.) and wanted to destroy the whole city to build his awful vision of boring concrete blocks and flyovers.

I sort of agree. Current day Coventry is a total mess, mainly due to the ring road and precinct, and it really doesn't work. There was never any real plan for the areas between the ring road and precinct and hence they've ended up being cluttered up with random collections of things all facing weird directions - there is virtually no continuity along the streets and just gaps and service areas.

They demolished too much in Coventry to restore it, although the current city is still pretty much built along the lines of the medieval street plan (Mainly the area the Cathedral.) The medieval street pattern was broken up pre-war when streets like Trinity Street were constructed.

What I don't get is just how BAD the post-war stuff is. Not the buildings, but the weird layout. There are no 'streets' in Coventry apart from a few fragments of pre-war street, and no flow of people thanks to the precinct. Broadgate's pre-war layout was brilliant in that it acted as a meeting point of the city's main arterial routes, but they destroyed it and built across roads, replaced them with horrible pedestrian tunnels and killed it. Now it's a dismal square filled with shit shops and empty shopping arcades.

When they tried to fix it in the sixties (The 'new' city was already a failure and 'dead' at night thanks to the removal of most of the people as they demolished the housing) they made an even bigger mess - Gibson's original plan was for a precinct that was linked to the rest of the city. They blocked all the routes with towers.

Current plans are to demolish a large chunk of the 1960s street and turn it back into a linked up series of routes rather than a weird back to front mess of service areas, and also breach the ring road with a giant bridge and create a new business district around the station.

The ring road in Coventry destroyed most of the city's urban grid, and has replaced it with a vast inner city area made up of nothing but flyovers and gyratory systems. Total crap.

Spon Street is a fake. They demolished a perfectly decent (And thriving) commercial street to build the ring road... And have built a street of relocated medieval buildings that struggles to survive as it's cut off from the surrounding city. And now its dominated by the utterly disgusting IKEA building and a shoddy shed called 'Skydome.' (Which, in true Coventry style, has its main entrance down the backside of IKEA facing semi-derelict yards and service areas.)

We live in a wonderful suburb of the city, but we spend all our money in Leamington Spa, as we can't stand Coventry city centre.

Apologies, I got Gibson and Spence mixed up!

Yeah hopefully the new development plans might also help to link up the streets- Do you live in Earlsdon? I have relatives that live there

21 - 24 of 24 Posts