SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cannot say I particularly like Brutalism as a style, but it is interesting nonetheless. Melbourne is apparently not particulary rich in Brutalist buildings compared to other cities. Here are some pics I shot yesterday....

Harold Holt Memorial Swimming Pool (Kevin Borland & Daryl Jackson 1967)
Edgar Street, Malvern

St Kilda Public Library (Enrico Taglietti 1973)
150 Carlisle Street, St Kilda

National Gallery of Victoria (Roy Grounds - 1960s)
St Kilda Road, South Yarra

(more pics to come....)

Plumbing Trades Employees Union of Australia Building (Graeme Gunn 1970)
52 Victoria Street, Melbourne

Faculty of Engineering (c.1965)
Grattan Street, University of Melbourne

Metropolitan Fire Brigade
456 Albert Street, East Melbourne

Enjoy!

·
Developer
7,646 Posts
The ugliest buildings in Australia, or just the ugliest in Melbourne?

Not just for the way they look but because of possibly the worst street frontages of any buildings in Melbourne, basically blank walls and small entrances which resemble fire escapes fronting onto Swanston Street, the major pedestrian thoroughfare through the centre of Melbourne.

Thank god they realised how bad they were before the finished the entire development:

·
Registered
8,590 Posts
^ LOL

Loving the smaller examples posted above.

The thing on Swanston is gross & on such a big whack of prime juicey land too. Can't believe it was part of something that was to be much bigger either. :no:

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the correction Tayser.

As for those RMIT buildings, I agree with Grollo. They are just disgusting. And having visited some of the laboratories inside, I can tell you that they are even uglier on the inside - ugh! I had no idea they were meant to be part of something bigger....

Well, I thought this post would evoke some strong feelings!

·
Registered
551 Posts
I dont mind some of them. Create a nice dense urban atmosphere. When they become a huge part though it can become a bit too much.

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
I'm in two minds about this style as well.
I don't normally like exposed concrete, bad example BHP Billiton, but good examples such as Plumbing Trades Employees Union of Australia do save this style.
I think some developers use this style to their advantage to save money, i.e. "let's not clad this building and pass it off as Brutalism".

p.s. In my opinion, the monolithic bluestone clad NGV international on St Kilda Road is borderline brutalist and I have always considered it Modernist.
I love this building by the way. :yes:

·
Registered
849 Posts
Grollo said:
The ugliest buildings in Australia, or just the ugliest in Melbourne?

Not just for the way they look but because of possibly the worst street frontages of any buildings in Melbourne, basically blank walls and small entrances which resemble fire escapes fronting onto Swanston Street, the major pedestrian thoroughfare through the centre of Melbourne.

Thank god they realised how bad they were before the finished the entire development:

I quite like the arrangement of the windows, not dissimilar to parts of the large QV resi. I think that the lift cores and the street level blankness is what makes this building offensive.

A more active street frontage and doing something to the lift cores (if not moving them) would dramatically improve this building.

On concrete generally - it really is improving. Good examples are Republic, the small QV resi, that lumpy wall in the city square. It's getting really high quality in the finishes that is important. Also, colours and aggregates are also very important.

·
Registered
8,590 Posts
demanjo said:
I dont mind some of them. Create a nice dense urban atmosphere. When they become a huge part though it can become a bit too much.
Totally. On the small examples, it looks really nifty almost to the point where the concrete has character. One prob that the concrete suffers though is the it gets stained from patronage and the elements. Looks gronky when it splits off in chunks too.

·
All the way with PJK
921 Posts
I think some brutalism is quite good in small doses, but like grollo said, they've often got terrible barren blank-walled windswept street frontages. They usually turn out best when they've only got a small parcel of land to work with and as such are 'forced' into the existing city fabric (e.g. faculty of engineering, Uni of Melb).

I quite like like all of these examples above barring the Swanston Street monstrosity and I'm not too fond on the Harold Holt Swim centre either... although that could just be because I wouldn't be too comfortable swiming in a pool named after someone who....ahhh.... you know the story... :)

I think a lot more people would shine to these buildings if they sanded back the weathered concrete to reveal a fresh concrete face, or clad them in bluestone.

Am I the only one who love the BHP Billiton concrete?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts