SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
55,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposed Buckhead Tower To Feature Faceted Glass Walls

Three Alliance Center, a proposed 30-story office tower in Buckhead, could introduce magically shimmering skin to Atlanta's high-rise architecture. Technically, the exterior is called a "faceted glass curtain wall system" and would be a first in Atlanta, according to commercial real estate firm Tishman Speyer, which has begun marketing the property. The building would offer 500,000 square feet of leasable space in a submarket that hasn't seen a substantial injection of offices for several years. If built, it would stand at the intersection of Ga. Highway 400 and Lenox Road.

·
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
55,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Fancy-Pants Tower-Building Could Commence This Year

After years of dishing out middling (but prudent) mid-rises, Atlanta could soon put the oomph back in its development scene. If all goes as planned, this return to the eye-catching, sky-piercing modus operandi of early '90s Atlanta could begin in the heart of commercial Buckhead, followed by Midtown. The Atlanta Business Chronicle reports that New York developers Tishman Speyer — known for Atlanta's Colony Square and Manhattan's Rockefeller Center — hope to break ground this year on Three Alliance Center (above). The 30-story edifice with shimmering skin (technically, a "faceted glass curtain wall system") would be Atlanta's first new office tower since 2008. In terms of substance, it might not be alone.

If built, the 560,000 square-foot Buckhead project would stand at the intersection of Ga. Highway 400 and Lenox Road, a commercial hub that's making strides to become more interconnected and pedestrian-friendly.

·
Banned
289 Posts
I'm surprised that this large of office tower is even seriously proposed for Atlanta, simply due to the fact of a very high office vacancy & even higher with shadow space. With Tishman Speyer being the developers, who are 1st class developers, must have a great deal of confidence in the Atlanta office market. Plus, that firm has a very healthy financial cash position, so they can afford to be patient. Hope it gets built, it's a beautiful building.

·
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
55,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Shimmering Three Alliance Center Gets a Groundbreaking Date

Renderings of the proposed Three Alliance Center in Buckhead have dazzled with their unusual design and glimmering facade, but as Atlanta has learned all too well, proposals do not equal buildings. Fortunately, New York-based developers Tishman Speyer have announced that construction on the 30-story tower will begin August 1 with a goal of completing it by September 2016. As its name implies, the $175 million office tower will be the third in the Alliance Center trio, which also includes the already-completed 20-story One Alliance and 30-story Two Alliance buildings. The new addition will be the largest office building built in the Atlanta market since 2008, with 500,000 leasable square feet. When Three Alliance is completed, nearly 10 percent of Buckhead's 17 million square feet of office space will be located in the trio of towers.

·
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
55,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Shimmery Buckhead Tower Signals Return of Cool Architecture

Be ready for more construction cranes to rise in Buckhead, as Tishman Speyer's Three Alliance Center — finally not another residential tower — has approval to go skyward, reports BisNow. Ground broke in August for the 32-story building, the final component in the three-building Alliance Center complex. It will face Lenox Road across from Phipps Plaza and will feature around 500,000 square feet of office space and a distinctive, shimmery façade. Designed by locally-based, nationally-prominent firm Mack Scogin Merrill Elam — the duo behind One Museum Place in Midtown — the building could signal a trend (fingers crossed) away from architectural brain-drain in the city. For the firm, the two projects mark a reentry of their high-profile builds in Atlanta, after they'd disappeared from the scene following the completion of their otherworldly Buckhead Branch Library in the 1980s.

With foundation work done and permits granted, visible work should begin soon on the site.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Haven't heard much about this tower lately .... Is it still on track ? This will add to the Buckhead skyline coming down GA 400 southbound !

·
Love me, love my dog...
3,075 Posts
I like this building better than I thought I would. I do like the funky windows now - they add to the design in a good way.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Its like a half-assed version of that wavy condo building in New York City. Would have looked much better if they used it to make a wavy glass curtain effect rather than this random hot mess.

·
12,035 Posts
I think the problem is the pattern of the cladding. The interspersed narrow bands of glass between each floor ruin the chance for the "faceted glass" windows to come across as truly random or part of a larger whole. Instead, it looks like a lazy attempt to add pizzazz to a conventional glass box. If all the exterior panels were the same size and then even more of the panels were of the faceted glass design then it might resonate more like a gemstone or geode.

·
Registered
148 Posts
From the webcam link, the crane looks like it has come down.... wonder how close this is to grand opening? It will add great office density with easy Marta access if one chooses so......

·
12,035 Posts
Thanks for the link, but I have to say I'm still not a fan of this building. Wanted to hold out til it was finished and now that I've looked through these I'm still non-plussed. Better than some others in Buckhead but the gimmick for this one doesn't yield the effect intended, I believe. I don't think jewel, I think "All those windows need repairs?"

Reactions: ajaksalad
1 - 20 of 20 Posts