SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
55,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A large new development might deliver Buckhead's tallest tower:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condos, Mad Parking Planned for Tower Place Project

New details have emerged regarding a project slated to rise on a large parking lot wedged against Ga. Highway 400. A presentation given to the Development Review Committee (DRC), released by Livable Buckhead, reports that the mixed-use development will consist of two towers, with one housing almost 300 apartments and the other with more than 600,000 square feet of office space and 50 condo units. That's right, condos. And one of these towers could rival the tallest in all of Buckhead.

Renderings indicate these towers will climb about 350 and 600 feet, respectively. That's a fairly big deal, considering Buckhead's tallest structure — 3344 Peachtree, aka The Sovereign condo building — maxes out at 635 feet.

[...]

·
Registered
4 Posts
TOWER PLACE 2015???

Hello. Have you heard of any updates on the Tower Place on Peachtree St., next to GA 400 in Buckheadproject by Regent Properties? I haven't seen anything published since last year.

·
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
55,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello. Have you heard of any updates on the Tower Place on Peachtree St., next to GA 400 in Buckheadproject by Regent Properties? I haven't seen anything published since last year.
I suspect the developers are waiting for the condo market to return to full health before breaking ground. This location is just too good for rentals.

·
Registered
667 Posts
There are many buildings that tall in Atlanta. I can see three right now from my window in a forth one.
I get what he's saying. When is the last time a tall tower has been in Atlanta? Tall towers used to sprout up like crazy here. Now we're only getting 20-30 story buildings. Yeah, we have like 4-5 600+ feet proposed, but they haven't gone anywhere.

It's funny because Dallas is also suffering with this same problem. These cities have high population and job growth, but can't get tall towers, probably because land values aren't expensive enough to build slender towers(less units per floor means a taller tower gets more units).

Meanwhile other cities are consistent getting supertalls and 600+ foot towers, cities that have below average population and job growth.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
I'm assuming this project is dead given the lack of information since 2014 on this tower?
Not at all. We don't know where the developer is in the process or what timetable they are planning for the project. Since this has office space and residential, it will probably have to sign an anchor tenant to move forward. If nothing else, it makes it a more complicated project to develop.

And remember that several of the projects under construction right now were originally proposed 5, even 10+ years ago. I have learned that the Millennium at Midtown was always planned as a mixed use project with Post developing the residential tower. The Millennium office tower was completed in 2001. Both Yoo on the Park and the Hampton Inn on West Peachtree were first proposed in 2007.

·
Registered
667 Posts
REGENT'S DORMANT BUCKHEAD PLANS GET A JV BOOST

Read more at: https://www.bisnow.com/atlanta/news...70177?utm_source=CopyShare&utm_medium=Browser

Batson-Cook Development Co has added unspecified financial resources to Regent Partners for the latter's $400M office-centric development at 3354 and 3356 Peachtree Road. The four-acre parcel behind Capital City Plaza sits along the pedestrian bridge to MARTA's Buckhead station. Previous plans called for 550k SF of office and retail space along with 60 condominiums and 300 apartments. The JV closed on the land this past week for an undisclosed sum.

Read more at: https://www.bisnow.com/atlanta/news...70177?utm_source=CopyShare&utm_medium=Browser

·
12,035 Posts
Yeah, we'll chalk this up to simply being a crude, preliminary rendering for visualization purposes. Hopefully the refined product gets better.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Joint venture to launch Buckhead’s tallest tower since recession

A pair of Atlanta-based development firms are joining forces with a Dallas company to build the tallest tower in Buckhead since the Great Recession.

On Monday, Regent Partners and Batson-Cook Development said they have formed a partnership with TIER REIT to develop 3354 Peachtree Road, a planned 44-story speculative office and condo tower overlooking Ga. 400 and the Buckhead financial district. The project has been in the planning stages for several years, and the partners say they intend to start construction before the end of this year and complete the tower in 2022.

The future tower will contain about 25 floors, or about 560,000 square feet, of top-end office space and more than 60 luxury condos. The tower will be a sister to 3344 Peachtree, Buckhead’s tallest building and one developed by Regent in the run-up to the recession.

Separately, Regent and Batson-Cook plan a 30-story luxury apartment tower on the northern portion of the site.

“Our goal is to develop that building concurrently with the office building,” Allman said.

·
12,035 Posts
The refined images make this look better, though the design still has a couple things I'd prefer to see revised. Namely the bulkiness of the base, which feels like a cheap compromise between the carved jewel form at the top and the staid, conventional building at the bottom. I'd rather the undulations and dynamic lines we see on the upper half be carried through to the base and invite more playful and striking lines and shapes.

I also I think I'm done with the now conventional street-frontage of glass and exposed columns. I get it - It's airy, easy, and light efficient, but it's also typically sterile and visually banal. Like much of the glass box genre one such piece can be intriguing but a streetscape full of them becomes trite and unappealing.

Don't get me wrong I'm all for seeing this come to life, I simply think it has the potential to be something even better. (Much like the Midtown Union proposal.)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts