SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
I own a PC computer
14,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This Christmas I've spent about 6 days in Budapest, Hungary, this being my first visit there. I was very curious about it, especially after the recent trip to Vienna, at the beginning of December, and Budapest proved to be above all expectations. It's a very beautiful and, in many places, spectacular city, rich in great architecture and sights. In many regards, Budapest was above Vienna, in my opinion. It also felt much lively, and with a lot of character.

The only downside was the weather, which was totally crap most of the time, with fog, rain and a bit of snow, but that only calls for another visit in summer :)

One thing that left me really intrigued was the impressive number of people living on the streets. I'm not talking about the regular beggars and/or gipsies, but what seemed like regular people (including couples) that simply did not have a place to stay and lived in subway entrances, doorways, and so on. I have never seen so many of them in a city. If there are any Hungarians willing to give some insight into this, I would really appreciate it.

Unlike the rest of my trips, this one was done by train, going from Brasov to Budapest in a 12 hour day trip. I would say it was a very good choice, although spending 12 hours in a train is not the greatest experience.

Pics coming soon. As always, your feedback is appreciated :)

·
I own a PC computer
14,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Széchenyi thermal baths. Budapest has a number of thermal mineral springs around, and they were turned into public baths at various points in history. First the Romans, then the Turks, and so on. The Széchenyi are about a century old and, IMO, the best. The water is at a constant 35 degrees, and soaking there during winter, outside, is just great :D

1 - 20 of 114 Posts